Would like to buy 2 EDC lights. Here are the details on the first help request

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
hi guys i am filling out this form and would like to buy 2 edc lights. didnt think it would help to jam everything in one post so i will answer the questionnare on one and then go onto the other thank you very much

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____must be able to buy on ebay or reliable internet store that ships worldwide and I am not a member of amazon

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $40

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA sized cells common to most stores.
____I need more information on power sources in general last time i bought a flashlight there were only AAA, AA, C, and D batteries now look!

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

probably mostly map reading and street sign reading in dark areas while on foot

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

do not know but would like very low power mode for map reading

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
and a very low power/long life mode would be excellent for my intended use

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

preferably all titanium but will look into beautifully machined aluminum if recommended by you guys. not interested in titanium finished aluminum etc.

15) Water resistance
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

would like to have ipx7 but in reality do not expect this to be an issue unless i bumble and drop it but it could happen

16) Storage conditions

edc and it is hot to very hot and humidity all over the map

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____Pocket/belt clip

i would say the most important thing to me is build quality and then reliability and then how good the quality of the light produced is. i love beautiful workmanship and hate junk so if you can tell me what the best machined models to look at and which ones of those really hold up and are dependable i would take that any day over any additional features i would like although i would like red light capability to reduce night blindness when map reading.

Mike at the watchuseek g-shock forum recommended this site and i was totally blown away by the amount of information. i am sorry if my request is already answered i did spend a few hours looking on here and the more i look the worse it gets. there is so much info here and so many amazing threads it just blows my mind. i have been a dedicated maglite owner for decades and although i havent looked into it recently so dont have any of the LED maglites at one time i probably had every type of maglite available certainly i had various AA, C, and D cell models. i am wanting two new lights now and i asked on the g-shock forum and Mike and one other member suggested i ask here so here we go.

thanks,

buddy

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened
Maglite xl200 might fit your needs. Runs on AAAs. The Mag Tac also a nice EDC but uses CR123s. I have both but the xl200 is my EDC.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Thrunite has some good AA and AAA options. Decent prices also. If you want to "step up" a little the Eagletac D25a is a great light, and you could find it on sale close to your price. You really can't go wrong with any AAA light from either of Olight, Fenix or Thrunite.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

buddyrohr

double post should be deleted

Last edited:

buddyrohr

thanks guy i have some more info i wanted to post and i wanted to say thank you but i cant format my post. everything is running together and i have no way to stop it from reformatting everything i type into one giant paragraph. do i have to have a certain number of posts or be a member for some period of time before i can format replies?This is a new paragraph it does not respect new lines and trashes all formatting to become unreadable.

buddyrohr

Fenix HL50

hi isnt that a headlamp it doesnt look like something i wanna have to fiddle with because of the angle and the money could go into the light instead of the strap and brackets etc thanks

Maglite xl200 might fit your needs. Runs on AAAs. The Mag Tac also a nice EDC but uses CR123s. I have both but the xl200 is my EDC.

hi that looks pretty good actually i am ashamed to admit it but i think this time i want to try something besides a maglite just because ive been buying them for years and want something new. if i had tons of money i would definitely get one though because it does look good and i am happy with all the maglites i ever had. i dont mean to be a snob i am just looking to get something new since i have already had maglites for mumble something years.

Thrunite has some good AA and AAA options. Decent prices also. If you want to "step up" a little the Eagletac D25a is a great light, and you could find it on sale close to your price. You really can't go wrong with any AAA light from either of Olight, Fenix or Thrunite.

hi i should have put more emphasis in my post on wanting something in titanium with aluminum as a distant second. i searched on the eagletac and found there is a titanium version but the cheapest i could find was 72 bucks and 17 shipping. i may buy it and forgo the second light i wanted to get but i would like to know if the eagletac is worth twice what a fenix e99 or foursevens a0 is worth, or 50% more than an olight s15 is worth.

nobody really spoke to the issue of the quality of machining of these various lights. i do like the looks of a lot of the fenix lights more than olight or thrunite at least from what i can find on the web but i have no idea if its like you said just a matter of taste or if one is better than the other. do you guys have any comments on build quality and especially how nice the machining is on these brands?

This is the spec on the foursevens a0 titanium for 40 bucks

Dimensions: Length: 2.2 inches / Diameter: 0.5 inches / Weight: 0.36 oz
LED Emitter: Nichia 219B
Voltage range: 1.0V-1.5V
Spot Beam
Flood Beam
Brightness Levels: Low: 0.3 lumens, 120 hrs / High: 30 lumens, 1.5 hrs
Reflector
Body Material: Titanium
Bezel Material: Titanium
Lens Material: Optical-grade glass lens
Included Accessories: Split-ring, AAA battery

This is the spec on the Fenix E99Ti for 45 bucks

Uses Cree XP-E2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
3 Modes of Operation: Low: 4 Lumens, NiMH Battery: 28 hours, Akaline Battery: 30 hours
Mid: 27 Lumens, NiMh Battery: 4 hours 15 minutes, Alkaline Battery: 4 hours 15 minutes
High: 100 Lumens, NiMH Battery: 50 minutes, Alakaline Battery: 35 minutes
Maximum Beam Distance: 131.5 feet
Digitally-regulated output.
Maintains constant brightness
Reliable twist switch
Made of alpha titanium4 alloy
Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
High-end gift box with matt finish
Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard (underwater to 2 meters for 30 mintues)

The Thrunite Ti is 30 bucks but is out of stock in the thrunite shop havent checked ebay yet

Small but powerful one AAA flashlight, max output up to 162 lumen.
Four output modes: firefly, low, high and a hidden strobe.
LED: Cree XP-L V4 LED with a lifespan of 20+years of run time.
Battery: 1 AAA battery (Working voltage: 0.9-3V)
Dimension: 70mm(length)*14mm(head diameter)
Weight: 16 gram without battery.
OP Reflector give perfect flood.
Titanium alloy(TC4) body with polished finish.
Waterproof to IPX-8 standard.
Convenient twist switch for one hand operation.
Output and run time: Firefly: 0.5 Lm(115h), Low: 12 Lm(6.3h), High: 162Lm(0.5h), Strobe:162Lm(1 hour)

The Olight S15 is 54 bucks

Highest-performing, single-die CREE XM-L2 NW LED provides soothing warm-colored light for truer color representation at night
Multi-function side switch with four brightness levels from 0.3 to 260 lumens, plus a strobe mode
Memory function to remember the last power setting used, along with quick access directly to the brightest level and a lock-out mode to prevent accidental activation
Reverse polarity protection to prevent improper battery installation and thermal management to avoid overheating
Side switch with blue button cap is soft and comfortable to press
Special designed smooth reflector and anti-reflective lens
Long-arm convertible pocket clip for easy access
IPX-8 Water Resistance
Stainless steel head ring can bear higher impact
Titanium body construction that is lightweight and corrosion resistant with a stainless-steel pocket clip
Flat tail cap with strong magnet to secure to ferrous surfaces
LED: 1x CREE XM-L U2
Runs on: 1x AA (Alkaline/NiMh/Li-Ion) (Battery not included)
Output mode/Runtime:
High: 260 lumens / 1.5hrs
Mid: 80 lumens / 7hrs
Low: 7 lumens / 40hrs
Firefly: 0.3 lumens / 360hrs
Peak Beam Intensity: 1,640cd
Dimensions:
Length: 3.38" (86mm)
Diameter: 0.91" (23mm)
Weight: 1.62 .oz (63g) (excluding batteries)

The Eagletac D25A Clicky Ti is 72 bucks

AA/14500 flashlight.
Uses CREE XM-L2 U2, XM-L2 T6 NW, XP-G2 S2, or Nichia 219 5000K CRI-92 LED.

1/11/121/200 LED lumen (XM-L U2*)

0.5/9/85/141 ANSI FL-1 lumen

Runtime: 1.3/2.5/20/150+ hours

Twist head for group output, clicky switch for on/off and modes

*Compatible with 14500 li-ion

This one looks like it would take a lot more research in buying since it has a bunch of possible leds etc and I dont know what to look for

thanks guys

buddy

Last edited:

radiopej

Enlightened
I'd say the Olight i3S or the Thrunite Ti3. Both fit the main set of requirements perfectly.

For the dedicated RGB, the only small one I can think of is the Nitecore SRT3, but that is way out of your budget range.

mdocod

Flashaholic
hi isnt that a headlamp it doesnt look like something i wanna have to fiddle with because of the angle and the money could go into the light instead of the strap and brackets etc thanks

It's a multi-function angle-head light with a quick-clip head-band. This keeps the flashlight out of your mouth while you are map reading.

buddyrohr

It's a multi-function angle-head light with a quick-clip head-band. This keeps the flashlight out of your mouth while you are map reading.
haha yeah i can remember times when that would be handy but for now i am wanting to stay with a traditional format lightliving in the springs huh? what a beautiful place.

buddyrohr

Unless you specifically want the D25A in titanium, the (non Ti) price would be about $51.
yeah as i mentioned i am mostly interested in titanium. i will probably go with the foursevens lights for now although there are a bunch of other ones i would like to get. the eagletac stuff looks very good but unfortunately they are proudly rohs which means you have to keep buying it every ten years or so. i am staying away from all rohs products.

ok well as much as i wanted titanium i guess its not very practical to have a shiny flashlight in some cases. i guess ill keep the titanium to my watch for now.

i went ahead and ordered a foursevens mini ml-x and an olight m10 neither is aaa and batteries are way more expensive so eventually i do want to get one or more good aaa lights but in the meantime i couldnt resist these. thanks to everybody on the forum if you read enough on here you eventually feel the need to buy alot of flashlights.

i wanted to update the thread title but either my javascript blocker or my google blocked is messing things up and i cant find out how to do it and i also cant get into advanced editing mode. the few times i did get into advanced editing mode i didnt see any way to control formatting except for QUOTE which doesnt help here.

Last edited: