Recommendation for a 1xAA, NW headlamp for backpacking.

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to add a new headlamp to my collection. The attributes that have to be met for the light are:

• Below $40
  • 1xAA powered
  • Neutral white
  • 1 lumen or lower mode OR red light mode

Everything else is secondary.

I have a few lights under consideration, but they all have their drawbacks, which I have listed if anyone cares to read.

I was looking at the Fenix HL23, but the light is a CW, and doesn't have a mode lower than 3 lumens. Although it's not a deal breaker, as far as I can tell, it starts in high mode, whereas I'd prefer it starting in low, or at least have that as an option.

I was also looking at the Fenix HL50. The ability to detach the light for either stand alone or tail standing is a huge plus, as is the dual power source capability. However, it is slightly over my budget, and I'm not sure how well the clip would hold up to repeated detaching. It's also too bad that it can't take RCR123A cells.

One last light is the Zebralight H52W. The only drawback is also a dealbreaker, at $64.

So anyway, any recommendation would be appreciated. Obviously I'm pretty picky, so perhaps there's something out there I've managed to overlook. Thanks!

Last edited:

divestoclimb

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at many of the same headlamps just yesterday for similar purposes (mountaineering and SAR). I settled on the Armytek Tiara A1, warm (neutral white) which, like the Zebralight, would blow your budget. The only other light I considered was the Nitecore HC50 but it in no way meets your requirements (it's heavy, doesn't use a AA and is quite expensive when you include batteries in the cost).

If I were in your shoes based on what you've mentioned, I'd probably pick the Fenix HL23 and if I really wanted red light fashion a filter for it. You can buy rubylith film from an art supply store and strap a small piece over the lens with a rubber band.

If you are interested in the Armytek, I'll be posting something when I get it about how I like it for trailfinding and glacier routefinding. I've only used narrow-beam high-power lights and crummy unfocused floods so I'm curious how this will be different.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and love the ZL.
Find a low mileage pre-owned unit for the price if you really can't go over it.

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. I have a bunch of 18650s now, so that cost is already taken care of when it comes to new lights. I was planning on getting a light that uses AA cells, primarily because I have a lot of Eneloops and several other gadgets which use AA cells. I also figure that if I do any long distance trips, I'd have a much better chance at finding a resupply of AAs along the trail than I would for 18650s. That said, at less than $50, the Nitecore HC50 is a pretty attractive option if I want to go the 18650 route.

The budget I listed wasn't absolute, and if it comes to it, I'm willing to spend a little more to get something like the Zebralight H52w I mentioned. If I HAVE to pay >$50, then that light becomes pretty much my top choice. ZL hasn't refreshed that light in awhile though, so I'm wondering if an update is in the near future.

I was really interested in knowing whether or not there is anything on the market currently that fits the parameters I listed. From my browsing, it seems that NW headlamps are still in the minority, unless you pay for a premium light like the ZL.

Perhaps I'll stick with my Thrunite Archer 1A V2 (NW) inside my Fenix headband for the time being. The only problem I'm finding with that is I wear eyeglasses, and the glare off the side is pretty substantial.

The search continues...

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
I know you posted in my ZL thread, but I wanted to mention that my parameters were very similar to yours. I also didn't want a plastic-bodied headlamp, as I've had a couple of Princeton Tecs that cracked in the past.

To me, the ZL h52w was everything I was looking for. Aside from the tint change issue, of course.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Though $4 over you budget, and not explicitly neutral tint, Fenix HL30 might be a contender... has a separate red LED at a 1 lumen level, and the reviews I've read indicate that the tint is pretty good (not blue). I was about to get one, but finally decided on the Zebralight H52W since it's more versatile, and am happy with my choice. The ZL H52W tint rivals my Nichia 219 lights, and the UI is great once you get used to it. I think it's well worth the extra $10.

I was also looking at the Fenix HL23 and HL50, but shied away from them for a variety of reasons... mode order H-M-L on the HL23 (without memory that I could find) was the killer for that one, and HL50 not having a tailcap lockout option made it a poor choice for camping (for me).

Good luck with your search.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too wear glasses and the ZL are no problem at all.
I use mine every day and sometimes for the entire day and I even forget I have it on sometimes,which can be good for some laughs too!

I also prefer the easy availability of AA batteries which is why I pretty much only use them for day to day work.

Thanks for the advice. I have a bunch of 18650s now, so that cost is already taken care of when it comes to new lights. I was planning on getting a light that uses AA cells, primarily because I have a lot of Eneloops and several other gadgets which use AA cells. I also figure that if I do any long distance trips, I'd have a much better chance at finding a resupply of AAs along the trail than I would for 18650s. That said, at less than $50, the Nitecore HC50 is a pretty attractive option if I want to go the 18650 route.

The budget I listed wasn't absolute, and if it comes to it, I'm willing to spend a little more to get something like the Zebralight H52w I mentioned. If I HAVE to pay >$50, then that light becomes pretty much my top choice. ZL hasn't refreshed that light in awhile though, so I'm wondering if an update is in the near future.

I was really interested in knowing whether or not there is anything on the market currently that fits the parameters I listed. From my browsing, it seems that NW headlamps are still in the minority, unless you pay for a premium light like the ZL.

Perhaps I'll stick with my Thrunite Archer 1A V2 (NW) inside my Fenix headband for the time being. The only problem I'm finding with that is I wear eyeglasses, and the glare off the side is pretty substantial.

The search continues...

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate the input and the different perspectives.

Yes, I think a metal bodied light should have been included in my requirements ahtoxa11. Thanks for the reminder.

I didn't know about the TH-10, so thanks for the info prisma.

I didn't realize ronniepudding that the Fenix HL23 started off in high mode, without a mode memory. As a backpacker, that doesn't seem like an ideal UI, even though it's cheap at $35. I share both of your reservations about the two Fenix lights.

Thanks for the advice about the eyeglasses AVService. I like my Fenix headband for the versatility that it offers, and I have several flashlights that I can use in it. But I've grown increasingly annoyed by the glare that it shines off of my glasses, seeing that it can only be mounted on my temples. A forehead mounted light will remove that problem, so I'm eager to narrow down my search and find one.

I think I might have to wait just a bit longer, and see what new products hit the market. I don't have either an AA or an 18650 powered headlamp as of right now. I'm tired of using a pretty old, inferior, plastic, Black Diamond 3xAAA light, so it would be great to pick something up for the summer backpacking season.

It seems like manufacturers are starting to see that there's a demand for neutral white headlamps. That Thrunite TH-10 headlamp looks interesting, and at only $40 it seems to be a great competitor to the Nitecore HC50. The red light mode on the HC50 is a plus over the TH-10 though, but the TH-10 has a way to access the moonlight mode directly from off, so that's pretty comparable in my book. Plus the Thrunite is neutral white, whereas the Nitecore is only available in cool white. I think I'll wait for the reviews on the TH-10, and it would be great to have a comparison review with the HC50. As of now, if I go for an 18650 powered headlamp it will probably be one of those two.

For those of you with a Zebralight H52w, would you say that the spot isn't too overwhelming and focused for close to medium range use?

mdocod

Flashaholic
In terms of weight per lumen-hours, NIMH is a poor choice as an "expedition" class power source.

As soon as you start packing along a few spares, you're going to quickly get into a weight class that could offset an 18650 powered headlamp, or even a solar + 18650 setup....

----------

Just as an example, the HL50 with headband and an eneloop pro weighs ~102g (~3.6oz) total. (An AA zebralight would be ~83g with the same battery)

Since this headlamp must use a strong boost circuit to get from ~1.2V up to ~3V for the LED, the electrical efficiency is likely to be relatively poor (~60-70% or worse is typical after factoring in cell resistance, contact resistance, etc). In order to carry along the equivalent lumen-hours worth of spare cells, compared to that which you would get from a single NCR18650B, you'd have to carry at least 4 spares, at a total weight of ~9oz for the headlamp + spares + spares case. (~8.25oz for an AA zebralight).

An Armytek Wizard Pro + headstrap + NCR18650B can pack as light as ~128g (~4.5oz) without the "top" strap. With the top strap it is 4.9oz. Same "effective" lumen/hours as you'll get from an HL50 + 4 spares, 4oz less weight. You can quickly see here, how the larger size/weight of an 18650 headlamp is quickly overcoming the AA headlamp in terms of lumen-hour/oz.

Add 2 X NCR18650B spares and a small plastic case to hold them, and we're back at 9oz, just like the HL50 + 4 spares, but we have about 5X as many lumen-hours on tap with the system packing 3 X 18650's total.

Take a look at this review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...XM-L2-T6-Neutral-White-CR123A-or-1xAA)-Review
Note that in "high" mode (~150 lumens), the light only manages about 90 minutes runtime on a 2AH eneloop. Even on an eneloop pro that would still be less than 2 hours.

Contrast that with the wizard... I've done some testing on mine, and estimate that the "main-2" mode delivers ~140 lumens out the front, and runs 11+ hours on an NCR18650B.

It would take 5 X sanyo eneloop pros in an HL50 to accomplish the same.

The HL50 claims ~6 hours in a "55 lumen" mode. By my measurements, the "65" lumen mode on the wizard, is almost exactly that (~65 lumen), and runs for an estimated 23+ hours on an NCR18650B. So here again we're talking almost 5X the lumen-hours from a single 18650 (46g) vs a single AA-NIMH (30g) cell.

----------

Consider the following:

Xtar MC1 charger ~$7, ~20g.
5W USB Solar Panel ("king" brands on thin rigid plastic with grommets found on amazon for ~$24), ~120g.
NCR18650B X 3, ~$24, ~140g.
Zebralight H600 series or Armytek Wizard V2 series X 1, ~$80, 62-94g.
Zebralight S62 series or Armytek prime/partner series X 1, ~$70, 40-72g.
(I recommend the "neutral/warm" options)

13.5-15.75oz.

Complete illumination system for back-country exploration, expeditions, S/R, etc. ~$200. No need to rely on re-supplying batteries, just swap out a cell on the charger every day.

I know you're looking for a ~$40 option, but think about the long term here. Is that $40 just going to wind up being a short-term gig to be replaced by something better later on? Good back-country gear is expensive. A $200 "illumination system" is just one of many "systems" on your back that can easily cost $100-500 each. Good hiking boots are ~$200+, good backpacks are ~$250+, good complete "sleep systems" are going to be ~$300-500+.

Yes there are ways to go backpacking on a budget. The internet has many threads and guides on getting ALL of your gear for a few hundred dollars. But that includes a lot of compromises in comfort, flexibility, functionality, and durability.

My advise would be to think about what you want your illumination system for back-country exploration to look like when "complete" and effort to take a step in that direction up front, rather than pick out a temporary solution now. Sounds to me like you may already have a collection of 18650's that could be employed here. I would recommend starting off with an 18650 powered headlamp. If you absolutely have to keep it under $40, the Jetbeam HC20 is usually ~$33 and even comes with an 18650.

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
For those of you with a Zebralight H52w, would you say that the spot isn't too overwhelming and focused for close to medium range use?

I would call ZL H52W a floody beam ... But it still has a noticeable hotspot. I prefer little-to-no hotspot for close up work, so I will definitely be adding DC-fix to the lens before heading out on a trip. I got this version because I can use it as a short/medium-range flashlight most of the time, and a backup headlamp when camping. If you mostly intend to use it as a headlamp, the H52fw version might be the one for you. If you only intend to use it for close up illumination, one of the mule versions (h502c, d, or w) might work for you.

One of the forum members posted a bunch of videos/GIFs demonstrating the beams of the different ZL headlamps... Take a look on YouTube for H52fw if you can't find the relevant thread here.

EDIT: CPF member I referred to above is Stefano, and he's done a really good job documenting Zebralight beam differences in this thread [http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...time-ZL-H600W-vs-H602W&p=4645878#post4645878] and others...

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I would almost call the H52w a thrower. I guess it depends on the task and who you ask. I love my H52w with diffuser film (mix between the H52w and H52Fw)

+1 on checking out Stefano's beamshots. I know it can be difficult to capture accurately, but that's some advertising-quality stuff right there!

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the in-depth reply mdocod!

You raise a VERY valid point. For long trips where one would need many hours of headlamp usage, it appears that 18650s are the way to go, because they are so much lighter for an equivalent amount of lumen hours compared to AAs. I have about a half dozen of them right now, as well as several flashlights that utilize them, so I could pick any one of them to pair with an 18650 headlamp for a two light solution.

As for my budget, I mainly wanted to inquire about what's out on the market in that sub $40 range, rather than a concrete limit that has to be met for my financial reasons. If I have to go over $50-$60, then I think I would almost certainly go with an 18650 headlamp. Your comments about carrying everything I need for a long expedition make a whole lot of sense. So far I've actually never gone on a trip longer than a week, so I am trying to future proof myself somewhat.

To those that own a Zebralight H52w, thanks as well for your comments. It's always great to hear from those who actually own a specific light. While it is a very nice AA light, perhaps I should be leaning more towards an 18650 light for the specific usage of backpacking. For general usage, a light such as the Fenix HL23 is cheap and more than sufficient for any around the house purposes, even if I'd prefer a NW tint.

Thanks once again for the input.

markr6

Flashaholic
My H600w II L2 comes on every backpacking trip. Even after using it a good deal, it usually still has 50% remaining when I get home. I even plan on starting most of my trips around 9PM or 10PM (always a 4hr drive after work), so the longer runtime is key for hiking at night.

The weight is negligible, and if a smaller 1xAA headlamp can fit in a pocket, so can a 1X18650.

I still recommend the Zebralight H600, but you can save some money with something like the Skilhunt H02 for $50. I don't believe there's a NW option though.

TimTx1

Newly Enlightened
Patagonicus, I sent you a PM. I got the Fenix HL50 recently for $35 shipped. It's a nice light. I also got a Fenix LD22 for about the same price for a bit more throw to have as a supplement, and to put a red filter and diffuser on when wanted.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really like AA cells, a nice headlamp to consider is the Spark SD52NW. It comes in a 2xAA cell configuration and should give you longer runtimes. It also comes in NW and gives you the option of both flood and throw with an interchangeable screw in bezels. They are very well built and have a simple UI. It is very comfortable to wear.
Just something to consider.

Last edited:

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
The Spark SG5 is also excellent and meets all your requirements apart from price which seems to be a major stumbling block.
1 AA, NW, 1 lumen for 10 days and a nice unit that I use when camping. Also with interchangeable bezel. A right-angle headlight which I find provides a lot of versatility although the headband has some issues (which can be overcome).

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
I just ended up ordering the h600w while my h52 is sent off for repair.

I'm a backpacker as well, and it's probably a better choice for me, too. The h52w will be the backup when it comes back. After all, got to have at least one quality backup headlamp, right? At least that's how I justify it. Haha.

markr6

Flashaholic
After all, got to have at least one quality backup headlamp, right? At least that's how I justify it. Haha.

Sometimes I feel silly having a bunch of lights when I only really need 2 or 3. But these two headlamps is actually very handy. I use my H52w for running (when I don't need a lot of output and runtime) and small tasks around the house. The H600w is used for pretty much everything else like backpacking, kayaking, hiking...

divestoclimb

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to add that the weight efficiency of AA's is a concern for me too. I think for short trips (a few days' length) the ability to have common, interchangeable spares between multiple AA devices is more important. But with the Armytek's ability to use 14500's I may get a couple of those to use in the headlamp, while still having the flexibility to throw in Eneloops for my GPS or Steripen in a pinch. So a headlamp that can take either AAs or something higher-voltage definitely has value.