(ZebraLight) Would I be right in assuming...

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
... that the only difference between the Sc52 and Sc5 is that the S5 has deeper reflector and a higher H1 mode?

Nothing else? More efficient? (Yeah I read the SC5 thread - thats where I got the above from)

Also, anyone, is the Sc52 (and now Sc5) the only light asides from the Thrunite Neutron that kicks out high lumens from a single AA? and I guess looking at the run times it also the most efficient?

Amelia

Enlightened
... that the only difference between the Sc52 and Sc5 is that the S5 has deeper reflector and a higher H1 mode?

Nothing else? More efficient? (Yeah I read the SC5 thread - thats where I got the above from)

Also, anyone, is the Sc52 (and now Sc5) the only light asides from the Thrunite Neutron that kicks out high lumens from a single AA? and I guess looking at the run times it also the most efficient?

The SC52 takes 14500, the SC5 does not. I gather that the SC5 is optimized for Eneloops.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Armytek Prime A1 puts out a lot of lumens, too. Of course, we need some real tests to see which numbers are accurate, and how they compare in reality.

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
Also the SC5 is overall larger than the Sc52. Double check runtimes since the SC5 will probably have lower run times than the Sc52 since they used eneloops in the Sc52 run times and higher capacity eneloop pros for the Sc5 run times.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC5 is slightly larger and heavier.
Electronic circuit is more efficient (more power and runtime)
Higher dimensions seem to allow better heat dissipation.
Small differences of light output (especially at low levels)
It seems an interesting product.
I wonder if they realize a headlamp with similar characteristics.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
They need to use XP-L emitter in their new lights, especially headlamps.

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Electronic circuit is more efficient (more power and runtime)
Small differences of light output (especially at low levels)

To be honest it seems the same efficiency, as its tested with Eneloop Pro's (2500MaH) Vs the SC52 being tested with Eneloops (2000MaH), the extra runtime appears to be the extra 500MaH from the Pro.

So main thing is dropping support for 14500's, slight body redesign, and marginally higher outputs (yes does do 500 as burst, but the rest of the range 'appears' marginal.

What you think?

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Guess I'm just in love with the SC52 L2

And I don't know why!

Its just a flash light but... I want it... so sad!

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
That's the beauty of it, you don't have to know why! Its a CPF kind of thing :twothumbs

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest it seems the same efficiency, as its tested with Eneloop Pro's (2500MaH) Vs the SC52 being tested with Eneloops (2000MaH), the extra runtime appears to be the extra 500MaH from the Pro.

So main thing is dropping support for 14500's, slight body redesign, and marginally higher outputs (yes does do 500 as burst, but the rest of the range 'appears' marginal.

What you think?

Excuse me.
I did not see the word "Pro"
Usually Zebralight uses Eneloop 2000 mA - is the first time I see a Eneloop Pro (2500 mA) in a datasheet

(translate with Google)

funkychateau

Enlightened
I have the SC52 L2 in warm. I love it, but if the SC5 had been available I would have preferred it. To be able to achieve the same peak output as the SC52L2, and not have to add and support another battery format (14500), would have been fantastic. I'm tempted to sell my present light and get the SC5.

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
I have the SC52 L2 in warm. I love it, but if the SC5 had been available I would have preferred it. To be able to achieve the same peak output as the SC52L2, and not have to add and support another battery format (14500), would have been fantastic. I'm tempted to sell my present light and get the SC5.

But if it SUPPORTS 14500 you dont have to use it, basically you loose an extra compatibilty.

I am just trying to figure out the sense behind the SC5, it seems it should be cheaper (no 14500 support), but it isnt. Perhaps its just thos few extra lumens? As in the datasheet they are using 2500mAh Eneloop Pro's, so the extra runtime is just down to that, not efficiency.

But if you wanna sell your SC52 L2 in warm.. then nothing stopping you, infact I'll bid for it!

g.p.

Enlightened
But if it SUPPORTS 14500 you dont have to use it, basically you loose an extra compatibilty.

I am just trying to figure out the sense behind the SC5, it seems it should be cheaper (no 14500 support), but it isnt. Perhaps its just thos few extra lumens? As in the datasheet they are using 2500mAh Eneloop Pro's, so the extra runtime is just down to that, not efficiency.

But if you wanna sell your SC52 L2 in warm.. then nothing stopping you, infact I'll bid for it!
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong....but they way I understand it is that it would be impossible to maximize the light for enloops and have it still accept 14500's due to the different voltages. A light that accepts both is always going to throw less lumens with the enloops in it.

So if you want the brightest light possible with standard AA batteries then the sc5 is for you. If you want a light that runs both then buy the sc52.

seasam

Newly Enlightened
i sold my sc52w l2 and am now waiting for my sc5 to arrive. the sc52w l2 was a little small for my hand and the 14500 battery isn't the greatest format - it's expensive and isn't particularly high in capacity. to have a longer runtime at the same output as the 14500 with eneloops only is a great thing. and more useful to others who don't want to get into the li-ion battery game. it's actually pretty impressive what they're able to do with an eneloop aa if you start to look at what it takes to design a driver.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Considers also the time for which you can obtain the maximum power.
SC52w: 500 Lm for the first minute (with battery 14500)
SC5w: 500 Lm (for 3 minute) with Eneloop AA

The SC5 has 500 lumens for three minutes instead of only one minute.

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
ok, i think i am begining to understand. the only thing is, are not the sc52 l2 runtimes, outputs and specs etc... not based on running with eneloops (2000mAh) according to the spec sheets?

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
so for example....

sc52 l2 runs 116 lumens for 3 hours on 2000mAh eneloops
sc5 runs 115 lumens for 3.5 hours on 2500mAh eneloops

... so if you were to compare, the sc5 would run 2.8 hours if using 2000mAh eneloops

the same is true when llok at the 54 and 48 lumen modes of both. the sc5 achieves 8.5hours on 2500mAh batteries, which would be 6.8hours on 2000mAh batteries.... LESS run time at LESS lumens than the sc52 l2?

so on efficiency, the sc52 l2 is considerably better... when using the same batteries.

Amelia

Enlightened
so for example....

sc52 l2 runs 116 lumens for 3 hours on 2000mAh eneloops
sc5 runs 115 lumens for 3.5 hours on 2500mAh eneloops

... so if you were to compare, the sc5 would run 2.8 hours if using 2000mAh eneloops

the same is true when llok at the 54 and 48 lumen modes of both. the sc5 achieves 8.5hours on 2500mAh batteries, which would be 6.8hours on 2000mAh batteries.... LESS run time at LESS lumens than the sc52 l2?

so on efficiency, the sc52 l2 is considerably better... when using the same batteries.

I also noticed that - but nobody was commenting so I thought maybe I had the math wrong.
It looks to me like maybe the only reason (other than looks) to choose the SC5 over the SC52 is if you want full 500Lum output from Eneloops. It seems like it's a step backwards in most other ways, especially the dropped support for 14500.
I love my SC52w, if it looks like Zebralight is going to obsolete it in favor of the SC5, I'll buy a spare while they're still available. Does anyone know?