How many of you are car enthusiasts?

maninblack

Newly Enlightened
In addition to being a newly hatched flashlight collector I recently became the proud owner of a 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 #631/2000. For those of you who don't know this was the all wheel drive turbocharged version of the sedan. Mine is white with black leather interior. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and scored this car for a mere $1000. I plan on fixing her up and keeping this car a long time. Here is a link to some info on the GVR-4 web page . Anyone else here drive a turbocharged car?

Saaby

Flashaholic
I don't drive a turbocharged car but I do have a love for cars in general and Saabs (Take note of the name there <--) and their turbocharged engines have a special place in my hear--er...garage.

I currently own no cars but I want to be an automotive engineer in life, at which time I will own many cars.

Family cars include:
1992 Oldsmobile 88: 160,000+ Miles
1993 Chrysler Town & Country: Over 120,000 miles. I try not to think about it.
1996 Volvo 850 GLT (No turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) 104,000

The plan is to replace the van with somethng a little more Swedish, something along the lines of a Saab 9-5 or maybe Volvo V70 T6 AWD.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a older Toyota Supra turbo, nice car, quick and fun, but now I'm an old married man and drive a Honda. Enjoy it while it lasts, and don't forget the frequent oil changes.

Lucien

Enlightened
I would be one (an enthusiast) but local car prices are insane. Mazda's RX-8 looks sweet, but what really bites is I'll never get a chance to drive a Skyline GT-R.

The new Ford GT definitely has the looks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wonder how it handles...

maninblack

Newly Enlightened
Lucien, I agree that the skyline is a beautiful automobile. I once saw an r33 GT-R v-spec in person. My cousin used to work for a company in socal that imported skylines and made them legal to drive. The way that the awd system works in those cars is awesome. The way I see it my VR-4 is as close as I'll ever come to having something like the skyline.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Galant VR-4's are great cars. I autocross with two guys that own Galant VR-4's. Surprisingly quick and good handling for such a big car.

I've never owned a turbo car, but I occasionally drive (and sometimes race) my friend's Mustang SVO and Mercury Capri turbo. I've owned a couple of V8 Mustangs, a 280Z, VW GTI, and I currently own and race two Dodge Neons. I guess you could say I'm a car enthusiast too.

-Keith

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I have never owned a turbo car, some my friends do. My friend from high school has an EVO, another friend has a turbo eclipse with 16G XS kit (He works at XS Engineering.)My other friends are N/A all the way.
Last time I saw a Skyline was at the market, this 18 year old had a R34 with carbon fiber hood, doors, and trunk. If I were to get a car right now it would probably be a SRT-4 or a STi

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
maninblack said:...Anyone else here drive a turbocharged car?

I used to be a "car enthusiast", and yes, I currently drive a turbocharged car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to read cover to cover, every issue of 'Road & Track', 'Car and Driver' and 'Motor Trend' + 'Ward's Automotive' (for car industry folks); every month, every issue. That's when I was an engineer for GM (17 years!).

Although, having said that, my interest in cars has REALLY narrowed. Pretty much my whole interest now is getting us off of imported oil; no more wars and no more death blows to our economy (like in the 70's).

So...what am I driving? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A Turbo-charged, Direct Injection, 5-speed manual, german car that runs on 100% renewable, American grown and produced biodiesel! My 2003 VW Golf TDI diesel!

Actually, now that I am on this path of eliminating imported oil, there are only a few cars that I get really, really excited about; mostly diesels and a few things like the 2004 Prius (59 mpg in the city with the room of a Camry!).

Here is the latest hot car news in the biodiesel world; Mercedes E 320 CDI: Diesel Premiere in the US ; 201 HP and 35 mpg (plus runs on renewable fuels)!!!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the very first WRXs that came to this country. Been enjoying it since March of 2001. I've done some work on pretty much every system on the car but kept it modest. I lean towards precision of handling and responsiveness over raw power...although I might feel differently if I drove the STi. For me, the ability to power through on all four wheels is essential to manageable power.

I am waiting for the twin-turbo Legacy. A four door family car with straightforward 400HP potential is quite an attractive concept. Presently, I'm miffed that the Turbo Forester XT can go 0-60 faster than my WRX, stock.

Having said that, we would probably also look for a hybrid or diesel for the other vehicle. Biodiesel is scarce here in New England.

Wilkey

maninblack

Newly Enlightened
Minjin- Wow, I had no idea I would find another vr-4 owner here. Your car is awesome! How long have you had your car? I just got mine 3 days ago. The car needs a few things done before I can start driving it. The top radiator tank is cracked and leaking, the power steering pump is leaking like crazy, and the transfer case is bad and has been removed from the car along with the driveshaft. After fixing these items I plan on going through it completely like you have. What are the odds of 2 white 1991 vr-4 owners meeting on a flashlight website?

DBrier

Enlightened
I am with you Ginseng. I got my WRX in April 2001, when you had to order them without test driving.
I got the wagon for practial reasons, but still Autocross and modify it. My best mod is the COBB stage I. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
Do you ever go on www.NASIOC.com ?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at my avatar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The link is actually to "carvatar" that being said, I don't drive anything particularly interesting. But I have added a lot of electrical and mechanical "extras" over the years. i've pretty much stopped doing anything exciting (or even vacuuming it out as of late /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif) as I'm afraid it's reaching the end of it's useful life... After that, who knows what will become my next car...

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
DBrier,

I'm member 3800 on NASIOC and I also belong to NESIC. I used to frequent it a lot more but since I've had my daughter, I hardly go there anymore. Still have a few good friends from the early days though. If you autox you must know KC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ask him about "Dance Dance Revolution" and the butt photo the next time you see him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

avusblue

Enlightened
I'm definitely a car guy, and have bought and sold some interesting ones over the years (I used to buy 'em, fix 'em up, and sell 'em to make money. I've owned over 30 cars and I'm only 35 years old!). Lately, I've settled down. Right now I'm driving my 2003 Chrysler Minivan, but that's because it's wintertime in Minnesota and my babycakes, a mint condition 1991 Mazda Miata, in silver, is in hibernation. The mama bear drives a 2003 Honda Pilot and I have to admit, that vehicle has softened my aversion to SUV's.

The first week of the month is always fun, I subscribe to 10 car and motorcycle magazines and enjoy devouring them!

Dave

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Wow, two VR-4 owners here! I never thought I'd meet any others!

A guy I worked with at a composites shop while I was in college had one of the first VR-4 brought into the US. He was a good 20 years older than I, and he claimed to be an ex-rally racer. IIRC, his s/n was less than 100. His baby was a metallic gray that reminds me of the newer color-shifting paints. He spent more on upgrades than he paid for the car!

The upgrades included all-new ported and polished heads, lightweight pistons, more agressive camshaft, larger turbo (A hybrid, -Garrett T4 type I think), APEXi turbo controller, stand-alone laptop fuel management, turbo timer (runs the car to cool off the turbo after you get out), all braided stainless lines, all Al parts under the hood were red-anodized, lightened flywheel, beefier clutch, adjustable Koni shocks/struts, BBS wheels, BF Goodrich rubber, and many others I don't know the details of plus others I probably didn't even know about.

His VR-4 introduced me to the world of turbo 4wd cars. All I can say is that flawlessly power-sliding through a 90 degree left hand turn at almost 80 miles an hour off of a state highway in Northern Arizona was a rush I'll remember for a long time. I thought I was going to die at first, then when I realized that he had done this too many times before, my fear turned into exitement! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif <-- Me after that...

There is also something just too cool about lighting up all four wheels at 70 mph! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I currently lust after the WRX STi, but I'll probably never have the privilege of owning one now that I have a 3 month old daugther (plus I can't afford a $30K toy). If I could have anything, I would get an R34 Skyline GT-R. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Car-crazy from way back. My last "traditional" car was a 2000 Volvo V70-T5. There's your high-pressure turbo. Passing on the freeway was just a thing of rare beauty.

But these days I don't have time to wait for a turbo to spool up. Today I drive about 90% of my miles electric, and the EV1 that was recently returned to GM (under duress!) beat my 250HP turbo Volvo from a standing start to about 65mph.

Sometimes I miss the sound of a nicely tuned exhaust. But I sure don't miss the smell, the gasoline, the oil changes, the oil stains on the garage floor, etc.