Compact, 18650 based 1000 lumen thrower

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, funnily enough, I'm after a new torch! My current go to lights are a jetbeam BA20 and a £3 cheapy flood-to-throw with a 14500 in it. They are both pretty good for their size, but I want something that has a bit more for when I'm out camping and hiking.

I also have a 4D mag with the 1000 Lumen terralux drop-in. the output is great, but I want something that is a bit more reachy and a bit less 'wall of light'. Not a full on aspheric style dot, just something with a reasonably tight hotspot.

Purchase: Online
Budget: Up to £100, preferably < £80 (need to buy batteries too)
Format: Standard flashlight
Size: Pocketable, probably 1*18650. Wider head acceptable for throw purposes.
OTF Lumens: around 1000. Some flexibility here. Enough to reach a hundred metres across a large field.
Burst/Turbo: Acceptable, but I'd like 10+ minutes at full output, and a high that is above 500 lumens.
Beam: Wide-narrow throw (I think!)
Runtime: 1.5 hours at high power
UI: Simple. Programmable is fine, 3-4 modes or variable brightness are all I need. Don't like strobes, don't like complex UI's. (Jetbeam BA20 tight for bright, loose for dim is good.)

Any bright ideas?!

markr6

Flashaholic
I'll suggest the EagleTac S200C2 but that's really the only throwy light I have.

BIG head relative to the body, so I'm not sure what kind of pockets we talking about here.

1.5h on high with 1x18650. I don't believe it steps down at all. Pretty tight beam but not a laserbeam tight; some spill to work with.

Simple forward clicky switch with 3 modes (twist head). Being a thrower, I really only use this light on high.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
I'll suggest the EagleTac S200C2 but that's really the only throwy light I have.

BIG head relative to the body, so I'm not sure what kind of pockets we talking about here.

1.5h on high with 1x18650. I don't believe it steps down at all. Pretty tight beam but not a laserbeam tight; some spill to work with.

Simple forward clicky switch with 3 modes (twist head). Being a thrower, I really only use this light on high.

Thank you, that's definitely worth looking into! Big pockets, like combat trouser thigh pockets. Or a belt holster would be fine. I currently carry my 4D mag if I want lots of light quickly, so more compact than that is great!

If it lasts fully on high then I'm less worried about a high medium level, my concern is the lights that have high for 1-2 minutes, then step down to 400 Lumens. If the high lasts forever, then the medium levels are so I don't blind myself using it at short range!

Pretty well priced too!

ven

Flashaholic
Along with the ET ,have a look at armyteks predator,be it the v2.5 or new v3. Not your lumen quote but still has good throw due to reflector/size/depth . Not sure on the v3,but the v2.5 pro allows you to customise your modes,have it run regulated(constant brightness) or step down etc. I picked the armytek viking pro v2.5 up recently at a good price due to newer versions coming out........just a thought:) Very solid light,feels bullet proof and probably is!

For an ultimate thrower,worth checking out vinhs forum,lots of choice and will probably work out cheaper modified and posted than UK prices for standard. De-domed for 2-3x the kcd,current bump and better wires/heat sink :D
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?371949-V54-Light-List

markr6

Flashaholic
One more thing I forgot about the S200C2...where's the freakin holster!?!?

A light this size coming with nothing?! Crazy. Actually, I wouldn't carry it on a belt, but still like holsters to keep in a pack. Last weekend I took this on a kayaking trip where everything had to be thrown into dry bags. I don't like throwing a nice flashlight in a bag with a bunch of other metal and plastic stuff to get banged around. I ended up putting it in a sock, but come on now.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at Malkoff Hound Dog 18650? There's some blemished bodies and tails on their site at a discount. Sadly, it's 50 usd shipping which takes it over your budget. But it's a simple UI and apparently a great light. Got one coming next week to go with my regular HD, if it's anywhere as good as the big HD, I'll be a Happy Bunny.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to eagletac.com, it does step down to 90% after 200 seconds. Also sounds like it's got a buck only circuit, but it claims constant output. Checkout review by Japanese guy on youtube. Note during disassembly the relatively short overlap in the outer body tube between head and body. Not sure if this can compromise watertightness when head loosened for lower modes.

Capolini

Banned
One more thing I forgot about the S200C2...where's the freakin holster!?!?

A light this size coming with nothing?! Crazy. Actually, I wouldn't carry it on a belt, but still like holsters to keep in a pack. Last weekend I took this on a kayaking trip where everything had to be thrown into dry bags. I don't like throwing a nice flashlight in a bag with a bunch of other metal and plastic stuff to get banged around. I ended up putting it in a sock, but come on now.

Agreed! Glad I have a sufficient supply of other lights. The M2X/M3X holster works. The head for the S200C2[vn] is just big enough NOT to fall through the open ended holster! Hey, the S200C2vn happens to be in my rotation tonight[secondary light]! :grin2:

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Even though I don't own any, I think some of the Armytek lights would also fit the bill. While some may not be 1000lm, 700+ will get you several hundred meters easily.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
Even though I don't own any, I think some of the Armytek lights would also fit the bill. While some may not be 1000lm, 700+ will get you several hundred meters easily.

Predator looks interesting, so many versions though! Pro, v2.5, v3. Also a bit harder & more expensive to get in the UK.

Probably going to be between the predator and s200c2 by the looks of it, I'll have to go and watch some reviews!

Eagletac:
Cheaper
more output

Armytek:
tougher
more modes

Last edited:

LessDark

Enlightened
I think you'll be really happy with the Predator. I have one myself and it's one of my favorite lights to bring when hiking, together with the Armytek Wizard headlamp.
It's one of the most sturdy lights out there. And even though the xpg led doesn't produce that much lumens, it throws a bunch because of the small size and deep reflector in the predator.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
I think you'll be really happy with the Predator. I have one myself and it's one of my favorite lights to bring when hiking, together with the Armytek Wizard headlamp.
It's one of the most sturdy lights out there. And even though the xpg led doesn't produce that much lumens, it throws a bunch because of the small size and deep reflector in the predator.

I'd be looking at the non pro v3 anyway with the xbh.

As far as I can tell, because of the different beam angles the intensity of the hotspot and spill on both lights will be the same. The eagletac will just have a wider beam.

Im leaning towards the eagletac. It will be cheaper and I won't have to deal with the chance of import duties (have to get the Armytek from Hong kong). The extra size of the hotspot appeals to me!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac s200c2 will do the job. Turn up at the mini CPF meet and you can see a selection of lights.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the eagletac tx25c2 is nice and pocketable, hits 1000 lumen and 100 meters is probably the longest useable distance for it. I love mine and carry it constantly. the eagle eye x6 has a slightly larger head and is a lot cheaper, maybe with a led change it would make the 100 meter distance a lot easier. I have a tennis court in the park that I go to that's exactly 111 yards from the entrance and I use that spot to test all my lights. that's why I've narrowed my edc lights to those 2

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
The Eagletac s200c2 will do the job. Turn up at the mini CPF meet and you can see a selection of lights.
Typical! only just read this thread again.

I've ruled out the Armytek Predator, due to the lower output and very tight hotspot. However the viking V3 has crept onto my radar as well. Downside is it will take 2-4weeks if I order one! Not sure if it's quite such a dedicated thrower too, but specs have it similar to the s200c2.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't consider the Armytek Viking V3 to be a dedicated thrower; but it's different for the individual user. The throw might be absolutely fine for you. It is more compact, but you will need to pay the tax when it comes into the UK.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
I thought that, but it actually had more output, a tighter spit and spill than the s200c2. Only a slightly less intense hotspot, so presumably brighter spill.

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened

I have this light, too, and I like it very much. Throws far enough to where any further would be too small for me to see anyway, and is very light and compact, especially compared to a 4D Mag.

For me, however, I'm not getting the 1.5 hours of runtime on high. It seems to be closer to an hour or so, maybe a bit less even, and it seems that it drains all 3 of my batteries at about the same rate (in case the battery was suspect or what not). I use 2 EagleTac 3100 batts and one EagleTac 3400.

Latest posts