Coast HP1 or Coast HX5

MK-Ultra

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an EDC torch and just now the Coast HP1 or HX5 are contenders. I'm sure there are plenty of other capable torches, the HP1 and HX5 offer a focusing beam and that I like. There is the price difference between the HP1 and HX5 not much but performance wise the HP1 throws light further than the HX5

HX5
Using 1 x 14500 Li-ion battery:
345 lumens; 45 minutes run-time; 130 m beam range

HP1
220 lumens; 1 hour, 15 minutes run-time; 171 m beam range

I would of thought the highest output HX5 would be putting out light further than the cheaper HP1 and in terms of range it would seem the HP1 beats the HX5 but in the lumen output the HX5 is the victor...!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well with zoomies it's all about the lens.
And Coast tends to make models that offer more of one thing or another it seems.

I have a pair of differing versions of HP7's that are rated at the same output.

The HP7R is rated to throw 400+ meters and let me tell ya...it's pencil beam (in spot mode) throws as good as the 2D Mag Pro.

The HP7 Tac is rated to throw about half of that. Yet it makes a mighty fine spotlight in general. It's a much better general use light due to it's lens shape.

I'd say if you want a 'brighter' light at say 100-200' the HX5 is the way to go. The HP1 will not appear as bright in those circumstances.

I use the HP1 in close quarters conditions a lot. Like lighting a shadow, or reading in low light. And it's 'spill' mode diffuses all those extra lumens very well.
But if I used it for dog walking, path finding etc I'd probably opt for the HX5.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
The hx5 is supposed to lock. The package I bought mine in does NOT say it can lock and indeed it does not lock. But some online sources say its head can lock. If it could it'd be worth the price. I can say using a AA, I like the runtime and price. After getting ran over buy a car it has trouble. And I should note, it is difficult to use the tailcap switch. VERY DIFFICULT. In fact, I wouldn't buy it again. With gloves I have to use my pinkie.
I'm looking for an EDC torch and just now the Coast HP1 or HX5 are contenders. I'm sure there are plenty of other capable torches, the HP1 and HX5 offer a focusing beam and that I like. There is the price difference between the HP1 and HX5 not much but performance wise the HP1 throws light further than the HX5

HX5
345 lumens; 45 minutes run-time; 130 m beam range

HP1
220 lumens; 1 hour, 15 minutes run-time; 171 m beam range

I would of thought the highest output HX5 would be putting out light further than the cheaper HP1 and in terms of range it would seem the HP1 beats the HX5 but in the lumen output the HX5 is the victor...!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hx5 is supposed to lock. The package I bought mine in does NOT say it can lock and indeed it does not lock. But some online sources say its head can lock. If it could it'd be worth the price. I can say using a AA, I like the runtime and price. After getting ran over buy a car it has trouble. And I should note, it is difficult to use the tailcap switch. VERY DIFFICULT. In fact, I wouldn't buy it again. With gloves I have to use my pinkie.

Yes, the HX5 tail switch is pretty much impossible to activate with a thickly (or even not so thickly) gloved thumb. I usually activate it with my index finger. The HP5 is easier to activate and has two power levels, but is longer and doesn't have a clip.

If you don't need a belt clip and can accommodate , the HP5 is a good option when wearing gloves.