HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test/Review of Charger Klarus CH1

Default Test/Review of Charger Klarus CH1

Charger Klarus CH1

Klarus is mostly known for their flashlights, but they do also sell some chargers. Here I am looking at a small single cell usb powered charger that can handle both NiMH and LiIon, it can also work as a power bank.

I got the charger in a retail box from a ebay dealer.

The box only contained the charger and a instruction sheet, there was no cables.

The charger has two usb connectors, the small (micro) is for power input. It is possible to feed the charger with either 5 volt or 12 volt DC. I do not really like using a usb connector for 12V, if I by accident plug that into anything else it will be killed. A DC barrel connector would have been better for 12V, but is not nearly as convenient for 5 volt usb input. I.e. to be perfect it would need two connectors and a circuit to prevent power running from one connector to the other, this is probably not realistic in this small low cost charger.

The full size usb connector is for usb power output when it is used as a power bank. There is a blue led hidden inside the connector, it will be on when there is power available on the connector.

The charger has two more leds, both placed on this panel. A red one to indicate charge and a green one to indicate full. I wonder why the blue usb led could not be on this panel also.

The label on the bottom of the charger is not correct. Input as marked as 5-1.2V (It is 5-12V).
    The charger is also rated to handle 10440 cells with 1A charge current, this is not a good idea.
    The usb output (Discharge) is supposed to deliver 1A, this is very optimistic.

The charge uses the typical slider construction with a metal rail and it works fairly well from about 31mm to 69mm, i.e. the charger cannot handle very long 18650 and 26650 cells.
    The construction does not hold the cells very secure, as long as the charger is used on a stable surface this mostly works, but a rubber band is needed to make this a portable power bank.

The charger can handle 69 mm long batteries, including flat top cells.
    The charger is always charging with 1A, this is not very good for smaller LiIon cells. Quality AAA cells will not have a problem with 1A charge current, but it is above the rated charge current.

Measurements

• When not powered the charger will discharge a NiMH with 0.1mA
    • When not powered the charger will discharge a LiIon with 2mA
    • If the battery voltage is below 0.2 volt the red led will flash
    • Above 0.2 volt regular charge will be applied.
    • Assumes LiIon when battery voltage is above 2.3 volt.
    • Will charge LiIon with 0.38A below 3 volt and 1A above.
    • Will not resume LiIon charge if battery voltage drops.
    • Will restart charging if power is cycled or battery is reinserted.
    • During the first voltage check the full led will flash shortly.

Charging LiIon

This curve is not a true CC/CV curve, but is fine. The charger cannot maintain full charge current when the battery voltage is high. The termination current is a bit on the high side with 200mA.
    I do not like that the charge voltage is at the upper limit (or slightly above) for LiIon.

The two other cells works the same way.

The charger also uses 1A current with short cells, this is to much for many small cells.

Simulating a weak usb power adapter did not give any problems, except a longer charge time.

When using a 12V power supply the curve is a CC/CV curve. The battery does also get slightly warmer.
    The voltage is very close to 4.3 volt during charge.

M1: 28,2C, M2: 46,6C, M3: 40,1C, HS1: 47,0C
    Initially when charging with 1A the charger do get warm, but later on the temperature will drop.
    I expect that it will stay high with 12V supply, but I did not test it.

The charger needs about one second to start. The voltage check is only done once on LiIon.

Charging NiMH

The curve looks like it terminated a bit early, but the temperature says the battery is full.

These looks like -dv/dt, the charger need about 10 minutes to detect it, giving the cell ample time to warm up.

It looks like the charger stops premature on this AAA cell and the current is rather high (as expected).

Detecting a full cell in 5 minutes it acceptable.

My simulated weak charger do not even affect the charger curve.

There is not much difference between 5V and 12V power supply for charging a NiMH cell.

M1: 37,0C, M2: 41,2C, M3: 52,6C, HS1: 59,5C
    With NiMH the temperature is warm during the full charge.

With NiMH the charger need about 1 second to start and will do voltage checks regulary during the full charge.

Measurements on USB power

• USB output is on while a charged LiIon battery is present and no power is connected to the input usb.
    • When usb output is on a blue led inside the usb output connector is lit.
    • When unloaded USB output will drain the battery with 2mA.
    • USB output is coded as usb charger (DCP)

The first test is, as always, a load sweep. It looks like it can do 0.5A fine, but not 1A.
    There is no overload protection, I can draw 1.6A!

Lets see how it does with 10ohm load (At 5 volt it is 0.5A). It maintains a useable output voltage for about two hours, then it cannot maintain it anymore. When the battery is empty it turns off, but turns on again because the battery voltage raises, this is repeated many times. It is not the best solution.
    It drains the battery to about 2.55 volt, this means that you have to be careful with what LiIon batteries are used for the power bank function.

Lets increase the load, this would usual be a 1A test, but the output never reach 5V or 1A, it cannot deliver that much power.

There is a fair amount of noise in the output with 81mV rms and 310mVpp

When overloaded the noise goes down, here is only 11mVrms and 72mVpp

Conclusion

As a charger it does a fair job, but I am slightly worried about the high charge voltage for LiIon.
    And only charge batteries that can take the 1A charge current!

The usb output can be used, but it is rather weak and voltage drops before the battery is empty.

Except for the high charging voltage I will call it acceptable.

Notes

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger

Read more about how I test USB power supplies and chargers
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Klarus CH1

Thank you for the review HKJ! : )

Thanks for the review HKJ.
    A bit disappointing results though, guess I'll have to stick with the Xtar chargers to be safe.
    Warm white.

Flashaholic

Thank you for a very informative & detailed review of this charger HKJ.

I ordered one because:-

1) Has a slider (can fit Protected & Unprotected)
    2) Nimh & LiIon
    3) Powerbank (Not necessary but nice to have, have a "dangerous" ML-201 V7.1 as powerbank for this function)
    4) HKJ said it's acceptable so I'm fine with that as long as it is not dangerous (like the ML-102).

Also, just to enlighten me, what is the long term problem/effects with high charging voltage?

As I understand it, using a too high charging current will be forcing energy into the cell contents faster than the chemical reactions causing the actual recharging want. This can lead to overheating, which at least will prematurely age the cell contents, and at worst can lead to swelling, leakage and possible explosion of the cell.

Again, as I understand it, [and HKJ or anyone who knows more please correct me] if I have an AA NiMH cell rated at 2500 mAh capacity, then the C (or charge) value for that cell would be 2.5 Amps. A cell's C value is the maximum amperage the cell will accept being charged with without damage. A charge current of one amp would not be a problem for that cell. Now a AAA NiMh or RCR123A/1630 LiIon cell at 650 mAh capacity would have a C of only 0.65 amps, and would be stressed by a one amp charging current.

So depending on which cells one wants to use on the CH1, it can be a perfectly acceptable charger, or one that will work in a pinch but is not really recommended for the cell(s) in question. In my case, I have 2500mAh NiMH and 2300mAh LiIon cells, so it appears that the CH1 would be a perfectly acceptable charger for my use.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

The biggest problem for me is that it can only take up to 69mm cells. Most of my cells are around 69mm and above...
    Warm white.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothybil View Post

So depending on which cells one wants to use on the CH1, it can be a perfectly acceptable charger, or one that will work in a pinch but is not really recommended for the cell(s) in question. In my case, I have 2500mAh NiMH and 2300mAh LiIon cells, so it appears that the CH1 would be a perfectly acceptable charger for my use.
    Instead of being all inclusive, as it states in the literature, it's very exclusionary, IMO. If you have a narrow range of cells/batteries that you ONLY use, then it might be worthwhile.

Being able to charge up NiMH and li-ions, via true USB 2 sockets sounds great on paper, but this thing really doesn't gently charge 14500s and lower and it'll cook your AAA batteries.

Then, we find out that it doesn't accommodate protected cells greater than 69.00mm, which isn't a problem for me, because I mostly run naked cells, so we start to see this multi-chemistry charger is far from ideal if you think about it.

I need something that will plug into my PC, or laptop, while I'm on the computer and charge one cell/battery, up. I have AC and 12vdc chargers that already cover every need that I could run into, except a portable USB C compliant charger that does one, or the other, or both chemistries.

I have tons of solutions here and if I need to use a high output USB wall wart to use these 'USB' chargers, then I have AC power and I'll just use my OEM adapters/AC cords and go that route.

I would have prefered a multi-chemistry charger with two rates, 1000mA and 250mA. These two rates would cover 10440s, 16340s, 14500s and AAAs, all the way up to 26650s, so basically everything common to both chemistries.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Thanks HKJ, wouldn't touch this until hearing your review first.... Love the idea of it, but it sounds like it may be sailing a little too close to the edge for me.

I should have bought one of these after reading the review. I used it to charge AA and AAA Eneloops and the batteries got hot enough the heat shrink on the batteries warped.
    I'm Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by KuanR View Post
    I should have bought one of these after reading the review. I used it to charge AA and AAA Eneloops and the batteries got hot enough the heat shrink on the batteries warped.
    1A shouldn't affect the wrappers on your AA Eneloops, but maybe the charger does a poor job of mitigating heat, at least your specific example?

Much like Moulder and Scully, I wanted to believe...

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    1A shouldn't affect the wrappers on your AA Eneloops, but maybe the charger does a poor job of mitigating heat, at least your specific example?
    1A, that is within the recommended range for AA cells, even if you run the charger from 12V I doubt it will give any heat problems for AA or AAA cells.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    1A, that is within the recommended range for AA cells, even if you run the charger from 12V I doubt it will give any heat problems for AA or AAA cells.
    I realize that, but depending on ventilation and heat mitigation, similar charging rates in different chargers can result in more heat build-up and therefore, hotter batteries.

My LaCrosse BC-700 at 700mA (4xAA) gets substantially hotter than my C-9000 charging the same 4 AA batteries up at 1A, or higher. It's not even close.

The guy above states that his Eneloop AAs and AAAs had their wrappers start to shrivel while charging in the Klarus CH1, so that's getting toasty.

I see your temperature tests in the review, but it's possible that his sample is doing something wrong, or that your sample is/was the exception, no?

Chris

I see your temperature tests in the review, but it's possible that his sample is doing something wrong, or that your sample is/was the exception, no?
    My test is on a table top in still air. I have never seen AA cells damaged from heat, they must be really hot for that to happen.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Thanks HKJ, wouldn't touch this until hearing your review first.... Love the idea of it, but it sounds like it may be sailing a little too close to the edge for me.
    I agree, was prepared to like it, but for me it's just not quite ready for prime time. If there's a revision that addresses a few of the concerns here I'd probably buy four of them.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Thanks a lot for your excellent review. HKJ!

Buckyballs!

Is one to infer from this that one must use a LiIon cell to enable the powerbank function? If so, that is a novel solution, but I shudder to think of the resistance from all those miniscule points of contact.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

HKJ thanks for the review. What are your thoughts on this charger for use as an emergency charger for efest 18350 V1's? I have a nitecore d4 I primarily use for charging them but I am looking for a small charger like this to keep in my edc bag in case I get caught away from my D4 (very unlikely as I take my flashlight support case just about everywhere) and need to charge either the 18350s or my AA eneloops. I want it to use usb cables so I can cut down on having to have multiple cables in my edc bag and I like the power bank function. So far this is the only charger that seems to fit all that but the charge current worries me for the 18350s.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Quote Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
    What are your thoughts on this charger for use as an emergency charger for efest 18350 V1's?
    It will do that fine, the only problem is the high voltage, it will reduce the lifetime of the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by KuanR View Post
    sounds like missed termination

It will do that fine, the only problem is the high voltage, it will reduce the lifetime of the batteries.
    I can live it with that as it might get used once a year for them, it may get used more often for my AAs but I doubt it. Thanks!
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Quote Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
    I can live it with that as it might get used once a year for them, it may get used more often for my AAs but I doubt it. Thanks!
    Why don't you just get an Xtar MC1+ li-ion USB charger, that does 500mA and 1A? I think that they're $7.99 at Mountain Electronics. If you need NiMH and li-ion, you might be able to get the Xtar VC2 Master Blaster Plus charger for a bit more, but then you'd be set and have two bays too boot!

Chris

Because then you need two chargers and anyway I want the option of a battery bank. Like Tac Gunner, I can live with having to use it occasionally on RCR123 or AAA and reducing battery lifetime for the convenience of this CH1 all up.

Why don't you just get an Xtar MC1+ li-ion USB charger, that does 500mA and 1A? I think that they're $7.99 at Mountain Electronics. If you need NiMH and li-ion, you might be able to get the Xtar VC2 Master Blaster Plus charger for a bit more, but then you'd be set and have two bays too boot! Chris
    Acebeam K75_VN_spec2 version; EagTac M25C2 Turbo_VN_XPG2-PDTc version; SureFire UB3T Invictus; Nitecore SRT7; TrustFire X6; LumaPower MVP_3xCree version); Sunwayman V11R; 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT; Lumapower LM21;

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Tac Gunner
    What are your thoughts on this charger for use as an emergency charger for efest 18350 V1's?
    It will do that fine, the only problem is the high voltage, it will reduce the lifetime of the batteries
    Correction: it might reduce the lifetime. Whether or not there is any nontrivial degradation depends on many factors - most notably how long the cell remains at high voltage (and possibly high temp), because such extreme conditions greatly accelerate internal electrochemical processes that cause degradation.

For example, if the charger does not have an abnormally long CV phase, and if you use the cell soon after charging (vs. store it for a long time), then it will not remain in such an unhealthy state for very long, so any degradation will be infinitesimal. In particular this may well be true for your intended emergency charging application.

A rough idea of how much degradation occurs under such extreme conditions can be gleaned from reports of laptop users. Before manufacturers began implementing "battery saver" heuristics (e.g. storing at less than full charge) one often saw reports of batteries that died in a years time even with little use. For example, there are many reports of such in Dell forums. The Dell firmware warns the user to replace the battery when its capacity is in the interval 60-80% of design capacity. If the battery was little used then most of the degradation occurred because the battery was stored fully charged in a hot laptop - the worst possible storage condition. This implies that cells stored in this condition can degrade between 20-40% in a years time (vs. a little used pack stored properly degrading between 3-10%). These numbers are for cells using 10-year-old technology. Modern cells have improvements that will reduce such degradation.

If, instead, as in your emergency charger scenario, the cells spend only a fraction of a year at such extreme conditions then one would expect that the degradation would be reduced in a manner proportional to the fraction of the time spent in such unhealthy conditions (this is only a rough heuristic because degradation is influenced by many factors, including cycling/storage history, nonlinearity of some processes, etc). For example, if your emergency charging caused the cells to be in an unhealthy state for 5% of the year then we can estimate that the degradation would be, worst case, 5% of 20-40%, i.e. 1-2% of capacity (probably less for modern cells). That is so small that it would not even be noticable in most contexts.

The above presumes that the charger is not so poor that it could lead to more extreme problems, e.g. venting and/or thermal runaway caused by extremely poorly implemented charging algorithms or component failure.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 10-12-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Default Test/Review of Charger Klarus CH1

So can anyone comment on where the fuzzy grey line is between a) merely shortening the life of a cell (which should be relatively immaterial for a travel/emergency charger) and b) destabilizing the Li-ion chemistry to the point it becomes a time bomb (flare) on some future charge.

I like pairing the Keeppower 16650 cell (based on the 4.35v Panasonic) with this charger for travel, and I've noticed it will hit 4.27v at CV stage and the cell shows a resting V of 4.22. I would also like to use smaller 16340s and 14500s (4.2v) - AW IMRs and protected ICRs btw- but am concerned about the 1A CC and 4.27 CV on those cells. I also have no issue with bit of accelerated aging for the few times I would charge while traveling, or in an emergency, but I would REALLY rather not worry that I have crossed the line of charging over-current, over-voltage and have subjected the cells to spectacular failure.

Is there a fine line that should never be crossed (some accelerated wear accepted)?
    Last edited by reppans; 10-12-2015 at 10:54 AM.

So can anyone comment on where the fuzzy grey line is between a) merely shortening the life of a cell (which should be relatively immaterial for a travel/emergency charger) and b) destabilizing the Li-ion chemistry to the point it becomes a time bomb (flare) on some future charge.

I like pairing the Keeppower 16650 cell (based on the 4.35v Panasonic) with this charger for travel, and I've noticed it will hit 4.27v at CV stage and the cell shows a resting V of 4.22. I would also like to use smaller 16340s and 14500s (4.2v) - AW IMRs and protected ICRs btw- but am concerned about the 1A CC and 4.27 CV on those cells. I also have no issue with bit of accelerated aging for the few times I would charge while traveling, or in an emergency, but I would REALLY rather not worry that I have crossed the line of charging over-current, over-voltage and have subjected the cells to spectacular failure.

Is there a fine line that should never be crossed (some accelerated wear accepted)?

i have always wondered why li-ion cells have to be charged to 4.20v. it's such a nice convenient round number! i thought that if this number was supposed to be the "optimal" one based on all the underlying physics then why isn't it something more precise like 4.1856729v for a given specific battery chemistry?

i think the answer is that given all the manufacturing tolerances in the chemistry and materials in the batteries, this "optimal" number isn't a fixed one. therefore 4.20v is simply an arbitrary round number chosen as a good enough compromise between cycle life and discharge capacity. i.e. as you go above 4.20 your cycle life decreases. below 4.20 cycle life increases. non-linear.

as to at which voltage does a li-ion start having "rapid disassembly" tendencies we probably can't say without some empirical testing (w/ a large sample size). but i think people shouldn't freak out whenever the voltage crosses that unholy 4.20v mark
    Last edited by Overclocker; 10-12-2015 at 11:49 AM.

I don't think that there are any empirical tests out there that show cycle life for a 16340 that's been charged up at say 1C and one that's been charged up at .5C.

If you can get the data sheets for the Big 5 li-ion makers, you'll be able to see what they recommend.

I went 2.5 years charging up my AW IMRs and ICRs, as well as some Soshine ICRs at 500mA, which is about 1C. After 3+ years, the cells still charge up to between 4.13-4.16v, but since I got my Xtar VP2, I only charge them up at 250mA.

The difference might be minimal or it could be great. I really don't ever go over a max charge rate of 1A for my bigger cells, 500mA for my 14500s and now 250mA for my 10440s and 16340s, so I'm kosher there.

In the grand scheme of things, we're not talking about constantly redlining our new Ferraris and Bentleys, we're talking about NiMH batteries and li-ions cells costing a few bucks each.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss163 View Post
    Correction: it might reduce the lifetime. Whether or not there is any nontrivial degradation depends on many factors - most notably how long the cell remains at high voltage (and possibly high temp), because such extreme conditions greatly accelerate internal electrochemical processes that cause degradation.

For example, if the charger does not have an abnormally long CV phase, and if you use the cell soon after charging (vs. store it for a long time), then it will not remain in such an unhealthy state for very long, so any degradation will be infinitesimal. In particular this may well be true for your intended emergency charging application.

A rough idea of how much degradation occurs under such extreme conditions can be gleaned from reports of laptop users. Before manufacturers began implementing "battery saver" heuristics (e.g. storing at less than full charge) one often saw reports of batteries that died in a years time even with little use. For example, there are many reports of such in Dell forums. The Dell firmware warns the user to replace the battery when its capacity is in the interval 60-80% of design capacity. If the battery was little used then most of the degradation occurred because the battery was stored fully charged in a hot laptop - the worst possible storage condition. This implies that cells stored in this condition can degrade between 20-40% in a years time (vs. a little used pack stored properly degrading between 3-10%). These numbers are for cells using 10-year-old technology. Modern cells have improvements that will reduce such degradation.

If, instead, as in your emergency charger scenario, the cells spend only a fraction of a year at such extreme conditions then one would expect that the degradation would be reduced in a manner proportional to the fraction of the time spent in such unhealthy conditions (this is only a rough heuristic because degradation is influenced by many factors, including cycling/storage history, nonlinearity of some processes, etc). For example, if your emergency charging caused the cells to be in an unhealthy state for 5% of the year then we can estimate that the degradation would be, worst case, 5% of 20-40%, i.e. 1-2% of capacity (probably less for modern cells). That is so small that it would not even be noticable in most contexts.

The above presumes that the charger is not so poor that it could lead to more extreme problems, e.g. venting and/or thermal runaway caused by extremely poorly implemented charging algorithms or component failure.

yes this sounds very reasonable.

I got my CH1 and have done a little testing on the charging using one of those small USB devices which measure voltage and current. When charging a 10440, the current draw by the CH1 seems to be only around 0.3A which (assuming this is also going the battery) is much better for 'small cells' than the 1A advertised and which HKJ rightly mentioned is bad for 'small cells' (like 10440s).

Maybe I have something wrong, or Klarus has changed something, or ......?
    Acebeam K75_VN_spec2 version; EagTac M25C2 Turbo_VN_XPG2-PDTc version; SureFire UB3T Invictus; Nitecore SRT7; TrustFire X6; LumaPower MVP_3xCree version); Sunwayman V11R; 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT; Lumapower LM21;

Quote Originally Posted by 7histology View Post
    I got my CH1 and have done a little testing on the charging using one of those small USB devices which measure voltage and current. When charging a 10440, the current draw by the CH1 seems to be only around 0.3A which (assuming this is also going the battery) is much better for 'small cells' than the 1A advertised and which HKJ rightly mentioned is bad for 'small cells' (like 10440s).
    More likely the charger is going to the CV phase immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast