2003 Honda Civic with "candles lighting the way"

beefington

Newly Enlightened
Hello experts! My wife has been complaining to me for years about her car's headlamps and I vowed (like, three years ago) to do something about it (I didn't specify *when* I'd do something about it :D). In her words, the OEM and $10 replacement bulbs from Autozone/wherever are like driving 55mph down the road "holding a candle out in front of you for light." Not an ideal situation in the Northern latitudes, where darkness and large animals abound all winter.

I tried polishing the plastic lens, but that didn't last, as you probably already guessed. I figured that with it being 2015 and all, there are probably some good LED options on the table, right? So I'm asking for your opinions on how to improve the ol' girl's night manners. It takes 9003 lamps and I'd like to keep total cost under $150, $200 max. Unless you think I need a whole new assembly, than I guess the budget will inflate.

1. should I put good halogen bulbs in? what kind?
  2. should I make the jump to LED? are they any good yet? what kind? where should I buy them?
  3. should I replace the whole assembly? Sound expensive :(

Here's a reference image of that year's headlights. Just imagine them with 165,000 miles and 12 years of scratches and UV abuse. They are more yellow than clear now.
IkIaQSw.jpg

Bonus round! Same problem, same questions, same ballpark price range, but for my '99 F-150 that takes 9007 lamps.

Thanks everybody.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to the board.

If the headlamps were degraded enough to inspire you to try to polish them, they are past due for replacement. Buy only new genuine Honda headlamp assemblies, because all of the aftermarket non-Honda-brand lamps are pathetic junk (Yes, even the ones claiming to be "OE quality" and boasting of various approvals such as DOT, SAE, CAPA, NSF, etc.)

The one and only kind of bulb that will work properly in those headlamps is a halogen bulb. Not an "HID kit" and not an "LED bulb". You can find both of those products on the market, of course, but they are all fraudulent, illegal, and dangerous. Don't fall for it. There's more detailed information on this site and elsewhere about why these "conversions" are no good.

With new Honda headlamps, good bulbs (use these, and a careful and correct aim job the situation will get much better at night in that car. If that's still not enough improvement, the next step up would be to install headlamp relays.

Bonus round! Same problem, same questions, same ballpark price range, but for my '99 F-150 that takes 9007 lamps.

Talk to Daniel Stern about those, he's got info particular to those trucks. I don't recall the details, but he provided a "grocery list" of parts that made the night driving much easier for my brother-in-law in his '98 F-150.

beefington

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the board.

Thanks! I've been lurking for too long.

If the headlamps were degraded enough to inspire you to try to polish them, they are past due for replacement. Buy only new genuine Honda headlamp assemblies, because all of the aftermarket non-Honda-brand lamps are pathetic junk (Yes, even the ones claiming to be "OE quality" and boasting of various approvals such as DOT, SAE, CAPA, NSF, etc.)

I was afraid of that, but prepared. I have a quote for about $425 to get the new OEM assemblies and all the hardware. I haven't seen an aftermarket headlight for that car that I would let anywhere near my wife's car. Part of the reason I came here was to see if my attitude there was valid.

The one and only kind of bulb that will work properly in those headlamps is a halogen bulb. Not an "HID kit" and not an "LED bulb". You can find both of those products on the market, of course, but they are all fraudulent, illegal, and dangerous. Don't fall for it. There's more detailed information on this site and elsewhere about why these "conversions" are no good.

Dang, just as I suspected. I've been slowly switching to an all LED lifestyle, and I was hoping headlight technology was going to be as easy as flashlights and undercabinet lighting. Oh well, maybe my next vehicle purchase will have OEM LEDs.

With new Honda headlamps, good bulbs (use these, and a careful and correct aim job the situation will get much better at night in that car. If that's still not enough improvement, the next step up would be to install headlamp relays.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to order these when I order the new headlamp assys. I remember reading posts about/by Mr. Stern a year or so ago on this forum but I couldn't remember his name. Thanks for pointing me to his site, I'll definitely be reading it "cover to cover."

Talk to Daniel Stern about those, he's got info particular to those trucks. I don't recall the details, but he provided a "grocery list" of parts that made the night driving much easier for my brother-in-law in his '98 F-150.

I'm typing up an email to him as soon as I hit submit on this post, thanks.

A well thought out, detailed post like yours is exactly what I was hoping for when I made my post. I really appreciate you sharing your time and knowledge!

Once I get these vehicles straightened out, my next project will be adding some ridiculous off-road/snow-plowing lighting to my Polaris Ranger! That'll be fun :D

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a quote for about $425 to get the new OEM assemblies and all the hardware. I haven't seen an aftermarket headlight for that car that I would let anywhere near my wife's car. Part of the reason I came here was to see if my attitude there was valid.
A friend of mine and I decided to replace the headlamps on our respective '01 Corollas. I got new headlamp assemblies and new turn signal lamps for about $490, shipped. Genuine NAL, since they were genuine Toyota parts. That high price felt much lower once I got on the road and drove at night. I took pics during my friend's swap-- this one is quite telling:

oldvsnew.png

The new headlamp looks "dark" because you're not seeing the sunlight on the ultra-clear new lens.

(Also, looks like his windshield washer fluid reservoir is in about as bad condition as mine.)

Dang, just as I suspected. I've been slowly switching to an all LED lifestyle, and I was hoping headlight technology was going to be as easy as flashlights and undercabinet lighting. Oh well, maybe my next vehicle purchase will have OEM LEDs.
Toyota's been using LEDs on the Corolla and Prius. ;)

I remember reading posts about/by Mr. Stern a year or so ago on this forum but I couldn't remember his name.
He's only made one post on this site, found here.

I think for the '99 F-150, if there's a "work truck" grille using sealed beams, that may be Daniel Stern's recommendation. Once you make that swap, instead of sealed beams, drop in a set of JW Speaker Model 8900 Evolution (assuming the sealed beams were 7"x5"). Of course, Daniel will know exactly what he'd recommend!

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
for the '99 F-150, if there's a "work truck" grille using sealed beams

Ford did that for quite awhile on their E-series vans, and on the "big" (F250 and bigger) F-series pickups, but not on the F-150. The last F-150 Ford put out a sealed beam package for was the 1986 model. :-(

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ford did that for quite awhile on their E-series vans, and on the "big" (F250 and bigger) F-series pickups, but not on the F-150. The last F-150 Ford put out a sealed beam package for was the 1986 model. :-(

Well, it was an "if".

It'll be interesting to know what Daniel Stern recommends.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Do you use XPel or Lamin-X protection film to keep those expensive new OEM units looking good?

If you do, you really need to replace it with new film every two years (tops). It is not a permanent solution -- newer films are closer to optical clarity than older films, but not there yet, even when they're fresh out of the bag. And they're far less UV-stable than the lenses you're attaching them to, so they degrade faster than a polycarbonate headlamp lens.

If you do, you really need to replace it with new film every two years (tops). It is not a permanent solution -- newer films are closer to optical clarity than older films, but not there yet, even when they're fresh out of the bag. And they're far less UV-stable than the lenses you're attaching them to, so they degrade faster than a polycarbonate headlamp lens.
Well my thought is that $15-20 every two years would be better than $500-1000 every ten.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my thought is that $15-20 every two years would be better than $500-1000 every ten.
But remember that the exterior lens degradation is only one thing to consider-- the reflectors age from the heat of the halogen bulbs. The films also hold in heat from the sun and from the lit bulb, and heat is a major contributor to headlamp lens degradation.

I should make good opaque magnetic covers for my headlamps (that stick to the hood) that give about 1/2" of air space, and shield the entire assembly from the sun (other than any reflex reflectors. Heck, they could have reflectors of their own). That'd keep UV and heat off the lamps when parked outside (at work, at Gyro Yurt, the supermarket, etc).
Obviously: Remove before takeoff!

Last edited: