Recommend me a decent bike light

american

Enlightened
Not looking to go crazy won't be used to often. I'd like to stay under $40 if possible

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Not looking to go crazy won't be used to often. I'd like to stay under $40 if possible
<$40 is a difficult target for a decent bike light.

If the $50 BC20 is like the related BC30 that I have owned and used regularly for many months, it should be a good performer that puts light both immediately in front of you as well as down the road. Seems to still be available from some retailers in spite of its limited run status.

There's also the popular (but not advisable) practice of using a twofish block to strap a round flashlight to your handlebars - solves the beeing seen issue relatively well, but introduces some problems in the seeing where you're going area when used with a typical parabolic reflector or TIR optic flashlight.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Cyoglite 550 USB, but it was NOT $40. I LOVE the light!

Matt King

Newly Enlightened
The same mitzikatzi off BNA? Hi!

Looks like any generic Cree XML round-beam lamp, only a little smaller. No idea of build quality, colour bin, colour rendering (probably low), beam pattern (apart from it will be bad on road).

Cable robustness (or lack of) killed this sort of light for me.

The one good design thing I will say is that they have put the switch directly over the bar, so you don't move the angle when you turn it on and off.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend a flashlight/torch if you feel you won't "blind" someone. You will get much higher quality than a $40.00 bike light.

ven

Flashaholic
I was seriously considering a bc20 which is around budget,still am kind of but the bc30 is more tempting due to the dual 18650 food!............over budget though:sigh:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought in ebay a triple xml light with 4 18650 packet and charger for 22$ and other for my wife with 2 xml with the same extras for 20$. Working just fine for the last three months.
71a572834c631d709392c8e1b47b070b.jpg

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought in ebay a triple xml light with 4 18650 packet and charger for 22$ and other for my wife with 2 xml with the same extras for 20$. Working just fine for the last three months. <image deleted>

$22? wow.... even if all of the parts were counterfeit, it's still hard to imagine how they can sell it that cheap.

I've seen photos of the insides of the Magicshine type of lights, and the workmanship was quite poor. If you are handy with a soldering iron, though, you might be able to keep it running even after parts start to break.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
$22? wow.... even if all of the parts were counterfeit, it's still hard to imagine how they can sell it that cheap.

I've seen photos of the insides of the Magicshine type of lights, and the workmanship was quite poor. If you are handy with a soldering iron, though, you might be able to keep it running even after parts start to break.

No problem yet after a couples of months of use and some rains... Anyway I am good soldering... [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Savvas

Enlightened
Do you want to 'be seen' or to see where you are going? Whichever of these outcomes you are seeking, you also need to outline the likely circumstances of use. Daytime use? At night? Both? City traffic? Trail, bike path or unlit areas? Do you have a front light or a rear in mind - or both?

All of these factors have a direct bearing on your choice and on what you need to consider - and on what you are asking others to consider in offering advice. Up to the $40 price you have nominated - if you are looking at a modest, 'pocketable' or easily removed lighting set for commuting that is likely to be reliable and flexible for everyday use them you can't go by lights made by Cateye. Or quite a few high quality 'brand name' lights in the same vein such as those made by Cygolite, Smart, PlanetBike, Lezyne etc etc. And then there are (literally) 100s of lesser known or 'Chinese' lights which can be had very cheaply. I've found that - in this latter category - lights made by Tioga, Azur and Electron (all to a very similar pattern) offer very good value.

It's important to note that many of these lights will operate to similar levels of 'brightness' with the best buying-choice criteria likely to be based on mechanical or switch construction or design. It's worth reading reviews at Amazon, Wiggle etc as any problems tend to be documented there pretty smartly!

Savvas.

_gm_

Newly Enlightened
I've had really good luck with Cygolite, especially in the higher price point ones. An 850 (which is above your budget) kept be lighted and on the trail for a ~6 hours at roughly 5F during a winter fatbike race I did a few weeks ago. Didn't even have to use low power (I used one of the medium settings).

Buy it once, buy it right ;)

Cheers,
Gus

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had really good luck with Cygolite, especially in the higher price point ones. An 850 (which is above your budget) kept be lighted and on the trail for a ~6 hours at roughly 5F during a winter fatbike race I did a few weeks ago. Didn't even have to use low power (I used one of the medium settings).

Buy it once, buy it right ;)

Cheers,
Gus

Awesome on the Fat bike race!!!

I ride a fat bike too. I have a Minnesota Framed 2.0, Black/Green, customized.