Which battery manufactures compensate for damage cause by leakage.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know Duracell do but do any other manufactures as i prefer to buy from ones that do.

Also i bought a couple of Duracell rubber flashlights, within a couple of months there were splits starting to show in the rubber, so i rang Duracell and they sent me some vouches as compensation, only for Duracell items though, I bought my Duracell CEF23 charger with it as it was on special, Nice work Duracell and i never had to return the faulty items either, I suppose it depends on cost.

So i have an penchant for Duracell, but what other manufactures stand by their products.

I have some 20+ year old made in Israeli alkaline battery`s and they have never leaked.

John.

OzzieDoc

Newly Enlightened
It's some time ago but I've had Maglite's damaged by leaking batteries, both Duracells and Energizers. Both times the batteries were well within their datecodes but had been kept in my truck. Energizer were the easiest to deal with. Had a local office (DownUnder) so I was able to show them the flashlight and they said to go buy another which they promptly paid for.
Duracell service department was operating out of a Proctor & Gamble Phillipine (AFAIR) call center and they wanted me to try to salvage my flashlight and advised cleaning techniques etc; anything to try to get me to withdraw my claim. Had to send them photographs which was OK and they reluctantly and slowly (months later) paid up.

Don't know any other brands that offer compensation but I would expect a big brand chain store with their own house brand would be good for compensation and would probably be required to do so under consumer legislation.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you can search your favorite manufacture and warranties? I know SureFire stands behind their batteries when used in their products.

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
I had an energizer pop while charging, I sent an email asking how they go about these things, they ask for my address to continue the claim. Lucky for me I was present when I notice a flashing light and took the battery out before any damage or mess was caused. Aaa rechargeable energizer made in china no expiration date. There is a 2012 year on the back of the package. Not sure if its a patent date, manufacturing date or expiration.
Energizer has not replied since I replied with my address and questions regarding procedure. Yesterday.

Duracell is the only one I know of that has a guarantee for repair or replacement. Not even Panasonic has such warranty claims.

Great question.

H.J.M.

Edit: Results of calling

i spoke to someone at energizer. They indicated in the owners manual not to plug the charger into power bars, extensions cords or surge protectors. Doing so voids the warranty. This is nice to know, should be indicated before purchase incase those are my intentions. They are sending me a chq for $25 CAD to replace the charger but nothing for the batteries. So this makes me want to do a little research into the other companies and there "VOIDS"
further update decided to stop using energizer because of the no power bar requirement.
Gonna open a thread somewheres else to discuss further..

Last edited:

Yamabushi

Enlightened
All major manufacturers have similar warranties:
Duracell: "Should any device be damaged due to a battery defect, we will repair or replace it at our option."
Energizer: "We will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by this battery if it is sent with batteries to Energizer."
Rayovac: "We will replace, repair or refund any device damaged by our batteries."
Panasonic: "Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defect, Panasonic Energy will repair or replace it (at Panasonic Energy's discretion) if it is sent with the batteries, postage prepaid"

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do Amazon have an damaged device refund/replacement policy as their basic alkaline battery`s are cheap, also what are their performance like compared to other alkaline battery brands, who makes them, or is it a big list.

John.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
i spoke to someone at energizer. They indicated in the owners manual not to plug the charger into power bars, extensions cords or surge protectors. Doing so voids the warranty. This is nice to know, should be indicated before purchase incase those are my intentions. They are sending me a chq for $25 CAD to replace the charger but nothing for the batteries. So this makes me want to do a little research into the other companies and there "VOIDS"
further update decided to stop using energizer because of the no power bar requirement.
Gonna open a thread somewheres else to discuss further..

Whatever you do don't tell them any of this when filing a claim. I use a surge protector on my smart chargers because i don't want any damage due to power spikes, and believe me if you don't have your store bought PC hooked up to a surge protector, any slight surge will fry your power supply causing it to spark and can cause a fire. So i know enough to keep my investments hooked up properly. Even the Energizer/Duracell chargers should be hooked up to surge protectors if you want those to last. So if i filed a claim with Panasonic, i would research how to file a proper claim so you can get reimbursed.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Do Amazon have an damaged device refund/replacement policy as their basic alkaline battery`s are cheap, also what are their performance like compared to other alkaline battery brands, who makes them, or is it a big list.

John.
AmazonBasics batteries are covered by the standard AmazonBasics 1-Year Limited Warranty which makes no mention of repairing or replacing devices damaged by the product. Reviews on amazon.com are mixed; some buyers cite low capacity and poor shelf-life.

BTW, to find any manufacturer's warranty terms, all you have to do is Google the brandname plus "warranty".

Yamabushi

Enlightened
That is not correct, as you can see in my test of the cells (At least one version of them).
Read the reviews on amazon.com. Some buyers like the AmazonBasic alkaline batteries; others do not, citing low capacity and/or short shelf-life. I looked up your review and you also cite the relatively short 3-year shelf-life rating.

The differing experiences may be the result of the short shelf-life (if true) or it's possible Amazon uses multiple manufacturers.