50w halogen equivalent G4 LED bulb?

poiihy

Enlightened
[Resolved] 50w halogen equivalent G4 LED bulb?

My desk lamp uses 50w halogen. What LED bulb has the same brightness (or brighter :D) of the 50w halogen? I only find 10 or 20w equivalent bulbs.

Or if those don't exist then I could probably use a 10w led. I'd stick the led to the reflector with thermal adhesive and replace the transformer with a power supply.

Last edited:

poiihy

Enlightened
Yeah I'd probably have to... Seems like there are no LED G4 modules that bright.

But I don't know if the metal reflector would be enough to cool the LED chip. I'd probably have to underdrive the LED. I don't want it any dimmer than the halogen though. :I

Last edited:

poiihy

Enlightened
Depending on the fixture design, a heatsink should probably be a viable option

I can't really put a heatsink on this fixture though. Not on the top, but maybe on the bottom, but that would block the light...

poiihy

Enlightened

0_B0_F151_B_7600_43_B3_A194_2663_F740_DF1_B.jpg

Dont know why it is sideways

Send from annoying ipod

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Be very aware of what G4 module you are getting, and what your lamp supplies; some modules are AC/DC, some AC only, some DC only, and despite the transformer in the base some (many? most?) of these desk lamps are still AC at the bulb. If AC, some of the DC-rectified G4s don't have any filtering system whatsoever, just pure diode rectification, which can lead to very visible and annoying flicker; which ain't a good thing if you are actually using your reading light for, you know, reading. I noticed that some of the cheapie G4s actually have provision on the rectification board for a smoothing cap, but did not have one populated.
I explored replacing the halogen in mine some time ago but gave up after several flickery experiences. If you come across a usable one, let us know.

poiihy

Enlightened
Be very aware of what G4 module you are getting, and what your lamp supplies; some modules are AC/DC, some AC only, some DC only, and despite the transformer in the base some (many? most?) of these desk lamps are still AC at the bulb. If AC, some of the DC-rectified G4s don't have any filtering system whatsoever, just pure diode rectification, which can lead to very visible and annoying flicker; which ain't a good thing if you are actually using your reading light for, you know, reading. I noticed that some of the cheapie G4s actually have provision on the rectification board for a smoothing cap, but did not have one populated.
I explored replacing the halogen in mine some time ago but gave up after several flickery experiences. If you come across a usable one, let us know.

I know all that. Obviously the transformer would need some modifications. You'd add a bridge rectifier and capacitor to the output of the transformer. But if I'd use a 10w led chip then I would need to replace the transformer entirely with a constant current power supply.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
0_B0_F151_B_7600_43_B3_A194_2663_F740_DF1_B.jpg

Dont know why it is sideways

Send from annoying ipod

Ah! I actually know that lamp well! It's an ideal LED retrofit lamp. I converted my mother's over to a duel xm-l2 model. She uses it in her tavern as a cash register lamp. The key is to ditch the whole reflector assembly and replace it the heatsink. Hers also uses a 12v "wall wart" style PS with the driver installed in the base (variable 2khz pwm rotary dimmable). She loves it. No bulbs to replace, great color rendition and she says it's allot cooler to work around (the prior bulb used to occasionally burn her/workers cause they'd bump into it). But she especially loves the no more bulbs thing since they used to burn out allot and usually at very inconvenient times and since it's not a normally stocked bulb, it was kinda PITA-ish. It's a 30 mile drive to town. (I also installed a small battery back up for it, runs for about 2 hrs after failure on high)

knife99

Newly Enlightened
Re: 10W is ok

10W is OK.Now the led chip light efficacy can reach 140lm/w.

poiihy

Enlightened
Ah! I actually know that lamp well! It's an ideal LED retrofit lamp. I converted my mother's over to a duel xm-l2 model. She uses it in her tavern as a cash register lamp. The key is to ditch the whole reflector assembly and replace it the heatsink. Hers also uses a 12v "wall wart" style PS with the driver installed in the base (variable 2khz pwm rotary dimmable). She loves it. No bulbs to replace, great color rendition and she says it's allot cooler to work around (the prior bulb used to occasionally burn her/workers cause they'd bump into it). But she especially loves the no more bulbs thing since they used to burn out allot and usually at very inconvenient times and since it's not a normally stocked bulb, it was kinda PITA-ish. It's a 30 mile drive to town. (I also installed a small battery back up for it, runs for about 2 hrs after failure on high)

So you know this lamp? Do you know what cover is supposed to go on the lamp? This lamp came from the restore and didnt come with the cover.

Also I found out the bulb in it is 20W (I thought I put in a 50w lamp, must've gotten confused). No wonder it is so small and dim.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you referring to the glass safety lens? Iirc it was just a standard piece of tempered glass.
make sure you don't exceed the recommended wattage for halogen lamps, they get very hot. A single xm-l2 will provide more light then a 20w halogen and much cooler temps.

poiihy

Enlightened
I found a brighter bulb for the lamp. I had this larger halogen capsule and I thought it wouldn't fit because it's bigger, but turns out it does fit; the socket accepts a few different sizes.

I don't know how many watts it consumes; there is no etch on it, but I assume it's 50 watts or somewhere around that. It's much brighter now and more useful.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
My eyes can focus better under incandescent light than LED light, for some reason. My ideal color temperature for studying and reading is probably 2800-2900K. 3000K feels just a little too bright, and 2700K feels a little too intensely orange. You can tell I have given this a lot of thought. My desk lamp really matters. You can stick LED bulbs in the rest of my house, but I need a good incandescent reading lamp.

Now that being said, I have seen some LED desk lamps that put out really good light. The good ones are very expensive. I mean to the point that you would really have to be a lighting fanatic to get one (but this forum is filled with lighting fanatics :D ). I will admit there's something about a 4000-4500K desk lamp (we are talking about the really high CRI ones here) that an incandescent one lacks. The vibrant clean white color of light.

And I am not going to criticize the fluorescent desk lamps either. I know someone into art and then they have a really high-end artist lamp. The packaging for the replaceable tubes lists 97 CRI, 4700K. And of course the light appears very diffuse and even. It really did look nice...