Sunwayman C22C: XM-L2(U2) + XP-G2(G5) led, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
Right in time, before the holiday-season starts, Sunwayman launches a "traveller-light", the new C22C. A compact all-rounder (that can be used as a headlamp too!) with enough output for daily situations. It offers also a special feature: A cool white and a neutral white emitter, that can be used together. Let's see, what this compact allrounder brings!

Sunwayman C22C, a traveller-light
2118cwk.jpg

powered by XM-L2 (U2)
30uqx5c.jpg

and XP-G2(R5) LED
m833u1.jpg

cool and neutral white in packaged in one
25hlf9d.jpg

As usual, the (manufacturer) specs to start with:

Features:

● Main Light CREE XM-L2 U2 LED, Side Light CREE XP-G2 R5 LED, with a lifetime of up to 50,000 hours;
● Slightly depress the side switch to turn on/off the flashlight as well as selecting desired output mode:
●Powerful magnet built at the tail to ensure easy-stand of the light on any iron surface
● Tungsten steel spike at the end of the tailcap can be used for emergencies
● Constant current circuit, constant output
● Effective range of 208 meters
● Uses one single 18650 or two CR123A batteries
● Working voltage: 2.8~8.4V
●High quality metal smooth reflector for main light maintains great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern; Side light uses optical lens
● Dimensions: 110mm (length) x 28mm (head diameter) x 25mm (tail diameter)
● Weight: 88gbattery excluded
● Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy, Stainless Steel retaining ring on the top
● Military Specification Type III- hard anodized body
● Waterproof, in accordance with IPX-8 standard
● Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists scratches and impacts
● Accessories: Clip, Lanyard ,O-rings

And the output and runtime specs:

Main White Light:

● Turbo (1000 lumens, automatically lower to High after 3 mins continuous use)
● High (580 lumens, 2 hrs )
● Mid (130 lumens, 10 hrs )
● Low (35 lumens, 30 hrs )
● Strobe and SOS function

Neutral White Side Light:

● High (180 lumens, 3 hrs.)
● Mid (46 lumens, 9 hr.)
● Low (16 lumens, 45 hrs.)
● Strobe and SOS function

Unboxing:

The package looks neat: A big sticker with a nice print on it is pasted over the standard, brown-colored Sunwayman-carton. Inside, protected between foam, we find almost all we need: the light, spare o-rings, lanyard, manual and warranty card. A holster is missing.

a big sticker at this box
34hyozo.jpg

in the box: C22C, lanyard, spare o-rings, warranty card and manual
6fqkcj.jpg

Impressions:

This light has its own looks: The square head, the tail with integrated glass-breaker and the side led with a "dome". The build quality is ok, except some little things: My sample had some little chips and the threads could be lubed better. The C22C has very good grip and fits nicely in the hand. Laser engraving is excellent done. Inside no surprises: The springs feel ok and the finishing is good. Overall, as always, Sunwayman did a good job here. Please scroll down for pictures and more impressions.

compact with unique looks
311un7o.jpg

with side light integrated in the head
106dle9.jpg

orange peel-reflector and sufficient centered XM-L2 (U2) led
2jaz311.jpg

the side led has a "dome"
2saccrd.jpg

fits nicely in the hand
zuf5n7.jpg

steady tailstanding
r0z90m.jpg

a look inside the lights' head
1z212k0.jpg

sturdy, gold plated spring
359fdyf.jpg

no grease at the threads….you've to do it by yourself. Mind the glass-breaker at the tailcap
2z3v3ub.jpg

I've tested the glass-breaker, and yes, it works fine :)
qs9uls.jpg

a rather big, but high quality lanyard
2582byu.jpg

excellent anti-roll design :)
eta6hf.jpg

there's a strong magnet in the tailcap
2zezfup.jpg

handy while repairing
2502h74.jpg

User interface:

One button for all, that needs some exercise. A short click and the light's main led will start at High. When on, press an hold to cycle through the modes. Quick double press for Strobe, again for SOS. A short click in special mode will bring you back to last used normal mode. In normal mode, light will go off after a short press. About the side light: Press and hold for on; when activated, it has the same UI as the main led. It is possible to use both lights together: I asked several people to activate this mode without using the manual :) This mode is hard to find for the first time….Quick double press and hold to enter this mode. Note: there's only one mode for both leds. Momentary is missing. But…after some exercise, it works all fine.

Modes:

In total 12 modes on this light, all controlled by the same button. The XM-L2(U2) offers Turbo > High > Med > Strobe > SOS. The XP-G2 (R5) brings: High > Med > Low > Strobe > SOS. With both lights on you have only Med mode for both. I can't understand why a real low (1 lumen or less) is missing on a light like this….The C22C has instant-strobe mode.

Size comparison:

Compared to some other lights in the same lumen-class, the Eagtac P25LC2, the Lumintop SD20 and a Sunwayman brother, the C25CTi Thrones

CR123A, 18650 cell and Sunwayman C22C
6xrd36.jpg

Sunwayman C22C, Lumintop SD20, Sunwayman C25CTi and Eagtac P25LC2
29m54s2.jpg

Sunwayman C22C, Lumintop SD20, Sunwayman C25CTi and Eagtac P25LC2
ouxgk2.jpg

reverse…
oj2no9.jpg

a look into the heads…the P25LC2 has a neutral led
2ue5t9y.jpg

and the tails
102qm81.jpg

Tint:

The C22C has a nice, coolwhite tint, with only a little green. I've compared it to the Olight ST25 Baton.

2d7tt2e.jpg

Beamprofile:

Thanks to the orange peel reflector the C22C gives a nice, smooth and a bit throwy beam. The big hotspot makes this one a good light for allday-use. The side led has a kind a magnifying lens that spreads the beam. This beam is useful while walking without blinding oncoming people.

Beamshots:

At first, the light projected on a white wall. We'll start with the XM-L2 mainled, after that the XP-G2.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
nd1wdk.jpg

122htfr.jpg

2hi5l37.jpg

2lw8y6g.jpg

animation picture
20qyo01.jpg

24optg6.jpg

rwlztk.jpg

25ho2dc.jpg

animation picture
wk0m08.jpg

Going outside now…..At first, the "main" XM-L2 (U2) led.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
2n83d3s.jpg

xfoxt0.jpg

af9da8.jpg

2ds3a89.jpg

animation picture
110c8ap.jpg

And now, the neutral, XP-G2 (R2) "side" led.
NOTE: I directed the beam slightly to the left.

zmaz2p.jpg

28anfit.jpg

kbdgsl.jpg

animation
mvj77r.jpg

Some shoot-outs against competitors…

against Eagtac P25LC2
a1r6z7.jpg

against Lumintop SD20
16kdzt5.jpg

compared to C25CTi brother
2eg88y1.jpg

Conclusion:

The C22C is a handy, useful light for the upcoming holiday-season. It is compact, fits nice in the hand and brings a lot of power. As always with "tiny" lights, do not use the High mode that long: the light will get real hot and will step down to Med after a few minutes. The combination of neutral and coolwhite tint, the sturdy clip, steady (tail)standing and the magnetic tail make this light a good traveller light. Personally I would like if the neutral side led would start on low mode and had a better low (moonlight) mode. For reading a real is necessary. A hint to Sunwayman: An usb-recharge function would make this an ideal carlight.

Sunwayman C22C provided for review

Last edited:

Kalpn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great photos! :D

The light at the side appears to be protruding. Do you think that it will get scratched easily?

While the side light is a good idea, I find that I probably have to hold it with my fingers only, instead of using the whole hand so as not to avoid blocking the light.

It will certainly get hot around that area after some usage so there is even less space for holding.

kj75

Enlightened
Do you think that it will get scratched easily?
Yes, this can happen. But I always take good care of my lights and do not carry them unprotected :)

I find that I probably have to hold it with my fingers only, instead of using the whole hand so as not to avoid blocking the light.
It's easy to clip on and you can use it with a headstrap too. But carrying without blocking the head is no problem for me. (The size of my hand is average) :)

MountainKing

Newly Enlightened
Conclusion:
As always with "tiny" lights, do not use the High mode that long: the light will get real hot and will step down to Med after a few minutes.

Is this correct or you meant step down from Turbo? If what you said is correct, how long is the high mode 'usable' before the light becomes too hot to handle...?
Excellent review and beamshots :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
A deep pocket clip would be an improvement. Separate buttons for each led even better.
Thanks for a great review!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great photos! :D

The light at the side appears to be protruding. Do you think that it will get scratched easily?

While the side light is a good idea, I find that I probably have to hold it with my fingers only, instead of using the whole hand so as not to avoid blocking the light.

It will certainly get hot around that area after some usage so there is even less space for holding.

Ref the protruding side light: I ran a bead of hot glue along the top edge above the lens. The bead is high enough to hold the lens off a flat surface.

Also, the low-battery light just above the switch comes on somewhere around 3.2V. OC is a bit less than 3.3V.

I really like that both the main (CW) and side (neutral) LEDs can be lit at the same time.

btw, I strongly prefer the 'neutral' vs the 'warm' colored LEDs. If the side LED had been 'warm', I probably would not have purchased the C22C.

About the only negative I have for the C22C is that the power button is much stiffer than the C21C, almost too stiff. I never had problems with the C21C turning on accidently anyway.