Rebuilt DiveRite MR11 LED500 Questions

computenik

Newly Enlightened
Morning i recently changed the head of my Dive Rite LED500 to a sumpdonkey3 however i have since hit a problem.
During a recent cave dive the battery cannister opened up causing a flood of the unit and the head.

Sump donkey kits for the MR11 head are no longer available, so have had to revert to going to cutter electronics however not getting any replies from them so need to ask a few question here.

Firstly what is the difference between a buck and booster kit? I am guessing it has something to to with voltage levels of the battery but am unsure. as in between the Cutter electronics Cutter XPL-MR11 Kit Boost or Cutter XPL MR11 Kit Buck kits
Secondly as the battery is now Fried looking at replacing it with something more powerful and better duration. Currently has 10 x HR-4/3 FAU batteries in a 4500mah 12V Pack 140mm x 49mm Round pack.
DatasheetsHR-4-3FAU(4.5AH)
Product PhotosHR-4/3FAU(4.5AH)
MSDS Material Safety DatasheetNickel Metal Hydride Battery MSDS
Standard Package
help.png
CategoryBattery Products
FamilyBatteries Rechargeable (Secondary)
SeriesTWICELL
Battery ChemistryNickel Metal Hydride
Battery Cell Size4/3 FA
Voltage - Rated1.2V
Capacity4.1Ah
Size / Dimension0.71" Dia x 2.66" H (18.0mm x 67.5mm)
Termination StyleFlat Top (Non-Extending)
Discharge Rate820mA
Standard Charge Current450mA
Standard Charge Time16Hrs
Weight2.19 oz (62.4g)

So wish to reply it with a premade pack like this one from Batteries space.
Li-ion Battery: 14.8V 5.2Ah (77Wh, 8A rate) for Diving Light
Voltage 14.8V (working) 16.8V ( peak) 11.0V ( cut-off)
Capacity 5200 mAh min. (77 wh)
Protection 2 x PCB (8A) & 2 x 420 Polyswitch
Pre-wired
  • Option 1: 6" 16AWG open end wires
  • Option 2: 6" 16AWG with Standard Male Tamiya Plug
Max. Discharging Rate 8 Amp limited by polyswitch
Dimensions 1.6"(43mm) H x 1.6"(43mm) W x 5.5 "L(139mm)
Weight 404 grams ( 14.3 oz )

Any Assistance on this would be greatful.
Paul

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference between buck and boost is buck drivers can only reduce the battery voltage, while boost drivers can only increase it.

That means that if you have an LED array with Vf of 11V, and a buck driver, your battery voltage must be higher than 11V.

Conversely, if you have the same LED array and a boost driver, your battery voltage must be lower than 11V.

Also, keep in mind that buck drivers have a 'dropout' voltage. That means that the battery actually has to be higher than the LED voltage plus the dropout voltage. In some drivers, the dropout voltage is a small fraction of a volt, but in many it's a volt or more.

computenik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply DIWDiver,
Sorry i am a newbie at building own lights, So if i would need the Buck kit with a 14.8V Battery 6800mah. If i was using a 11.1v Battery would be a booster? how do i figure out what the Vf to guess which one i need?

Stephane_A

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

A Cree XML U2 led has a typical forward voltage of 3.3V at low current and 3.7V at full current (3A). Sum up the forward voltages of your led array and see if it is below or above your battery pack. The driver will "eat" a few hundred millivolts.