What's the best type of light to use with a ceiling fan?

tanyasmith

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a new ceiling fan and wanted to change the bulbs out for something more energy efficient and not as costly. What do you guys think I should use?

poiihy

Enlightened
LED of course.

What bulbs does your ceiling fan take? Candelabra or Edison 27?
If it uses candelabra then you may have trouble finding LED bulbs because they are more expensive for some reason... probably low demand. If it takes e27 then you're in luck and you have a wide range of LED bulbs from choose from. Home Depot is selling a 2-pack of Philips LED bulbs for $4.97, which means each bulb is $2.48. Lowe's is selling Utilitech LED bulbs for $2.48 each.

poiihy

Enlightened
One wonders if there are some GU24 to Edison adaptors for sale out there on the 'bay or other less-reputable sources.

There are though you may have problems with fitting it in. BTW, In California, it is illegal to use a GU24 to E27 adapter to put an incandescent bulb because the fixture may not be rated for the heat from an incandescent bulb.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There are though you may have problems with fitting it in. BTW, In California, it is illegal to use a GU24 to E27 adapter to put an incandescent bulb because the fixture may not be rated for the heat from an incandescent bulb.

Thus my suggestion that you need to go to fleabay and other shady sources to get them ... so your fixtures can self-disassemble from heat they're not designed to withstand.

poiihy

Enlightened
Thus my suggestion that you need to go to fleabay and other shady sources to get them ... so your fixtures can self-disassemble from heat they're not designed to withstand.

Well you would use the adapters to put regular CFLs or LED bulbs in them. E27 bulbs are the most common and therefore cheapest.

wws944

Enlightened

Often times the same fixture is offered by the manufacturer for both incandescent and GU24 - just the socket is different. But in California you are forced to buy the GU24 version thanks to Title 24. My outdoor wall fixtures are like that. To add insult to injury, the GU24 CFLs cost 2x or more of what normal Edison based CFLs cost. But don't worry - I am using LED bulbs that draw _less_ power than the GU24 CFLs.