High Output, High Heat Environment LED

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I'm looking at making a custom spotlight for outdoors use. Its going to potentially see non stop use for hours at a time in relatively hot environments. I am planning on actively cooling the modules by modifying a CPU H50 Water Cooler. I'm looking for 2000 to 4000 lumens per die. Size is not too much of an issue as I can pop it into an 8 inch reflector if need be. First thought was a Cree MT-G2 or an SST-90. Open to any suggestions.

Power draw is irrelevant. Shooting for pure output here.

Harold_B

Enlightened
XHP-70 is the first thing to come to mind if Cree is preferred. Pretty sure Ledil, Etc have optics in PC or silicone for this LED too. Could have limited selection for narrow beam in silicone though.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
The XHP-70 is actually what I've been looking at. Found a thread on BLF where they were able to push 6000otf lumens. Been debating between that or pushing 3000 with the XHP-50.

I've been thinking of using a CPU active heatsink with copper heat pipes for thermal management. Any thoughts on whether it will be enough?

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen any mention of what the thermal environment will be. How hot will the air be? Once you have that figure, then you can calculate the thermal resistance required for the heatsink.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
The modules will be mounted behind the grill of an SUV, right in front of the radiator. Underhood engine temps can reach 200F in stalled conditions during the summer. Radiator fluid intake temperatures tend to be around 175F to 210F. The lights would be mounted within inches of the radiator. Granted, it will a 3000cfm fan pulling air through it to the other side, but it wouldn't surprise me to still temps near 200F around the modules on hot summer days here in the south.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
The modules will be mounted behind the grill of an SUV, right in front of the radiator. Underhood engine temps can reach 200F in stalled conditions during the summer. Radiator fluid intake temperatures tend to be around 175F to 210F. The lights would be mounted within inches of the radiator. Granted, it will a 3000cfm fan pulling air through it to the other side, but it wouldn't surprise me to still temps near 200F around the modules on hot summer days here in the south.

You are WAY to pessimistic. The thing will be much cooler. Its on the intake side of the radiator. If the air pulled in by the fan was 200F at the position of the heatsink, your engine would be dead already.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
And, you could simply add a reflector to the back facing the radiator.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
You are WAY to pessimistic. The thing will be much cooler. Its on the intake side of the radiator. If the air pulled in by the fan was 200F at the position of the heatsink, your engine would be dead already.

Yeah, I tend to always plan/build things for the worst possible scenario... That way it will hopefully be tougher for to me to break it

Last edited: