Zebralight Reliability

How reliable have your Zebralights been?

• Total garbage - they've all broken

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I've had more fail than have worked well

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Pretty reliable - only 1 or 2 problems

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • They've been rock solid stone cold reliable

Votes: 89 64.5%
  • I don't own any, so I don't know

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don't actually use my Zebralight(s) so I don't know

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • What's a Zebralight?

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Amelia

Enlightened
How reliable have your Zebralights been for you?

I have about a dozen at this point, and they've been rock solid. Sole exception: the H501R that I left an Alkaleak in, before I knew any better. Not the light's fault though!

LessDark

Enlightened
I only had problems with one of my zebras, and it was my first one from them. A H51 where the switch stopped working after 2 minutes in use...Beeing a bit disappointed I just threw it in the trash. Luckily my zebras after that one have been without any issues.

Last edited:

Erik1213

Enlightened
I have a LOT of Zebras. The only one to give me permanent trouble was my SC62d. And, well, just look at this:

9wBcSXYl.jpg

Zebralight fixed it for me at no charge.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only had three, but all of them have been flawless. SC52, SC600 Mk II, and SC600 Mk II L2.

My SC600 is my single most carried light. Probably doesn't have as many hours as some of the lights that I use at work...but it has been banged around more than most, and it is my go-to for personal use.

Sarlix

Enlightened
Yeah - but one is specific to H51/501, and the other just asks if people have had one break or not. I'm trying to get a feel for overall reliability, since I have so many. Oh... and neither of those polls have a "What's a Zebralight?" option! :D

I just meant so you can correlate all the data :D

UnderPar

Enlightened
Got no issues at all with all my 3 ZLs. Still got 2 coming in a few weeks. Rock solid performance! :twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC52 and H51w - both lightly used, the latter failing (only two and half modes work, and UI is fubar). First and only light failure for me.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Spotless reliability from all of my Zebralights. First generation still going strong. Outlasted several of my trouble prone Quarks.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soild reliable here on SC50 52 and 80. To reply to the op, now the ZL site says their newer models are sealed and potted so I even leaky alkaline should no longer be an issue.
I know HDS lights are sealed and potted also.

Last edited:

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I had one return due to a bad led on a SC32w. The replacement is great, as have been the other eleven ZL's I have.

Steve

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got three H51Fw three years ago, all three are working fine today, I kept one and the other two went to family members. I used mine daily, one of the other ones has been used multiple times daily at work for the last three years with no problems. The third one is in a purse and might be used several times a year, no issues there.
These lights are not potted.
Last winter I upgraded to an H600W and an H602W, and gave my H51Fw to the daily user as a spare.
These newer lights are both potted, they've also been perfectly reliable every time.
Unfortunately I've dropped the H600W multiple times, dinging the anodizing, no adverse effect on the light.
Over 3 years, five lights in total, perfect reliability so far.

Last edited:

hazza

Newly Enlightened
H32Fw and H502 both perfectly reliable.

H600Fw does not like h1 on some days. Drops out way too early. When it drops to m1, the UI no longer always works properly, so I have to turn it off and on again. Very strange, inconsistent problem. On h2a the reverse applies, it seems to want to stay in that mode until it cooks itself to death!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a slew of them. Too many to count easily. Over a dozen fer sure. Nary a problem.

Valmet62

Newly Enlightened
Just sent my SC600 (original version ) to ZebraLight. The switch is acting crazy, the light will come on at times, other times nothing...and switching modes is like playing the lottery, I never know what's going to happen. It's out of warranty, so I sent 15.00 for the repair and I hope to see it back in 6 to 8 weeks.

Last edited:

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
My H600 is just such a bad tint color that I don't use it. I also (thought) I was choosing the most floody version, but it's not floody at all with its very narrow focused beam - which isn't my first choice for a headlamp. It works fine, but sees no use because of the greenish tint and spotlight beam. It was a waste of $75 bucks or whatever it cost and I'm very disappointed with it.

What are my options to change the color of the tint and make it more floody? Are there different (more orange peeled?) reflectors available separately? Thanks.

I have the original box and paperwork, which specifically says, "The LED cannot be replaced." The reflector seems like it's already at least slightly orange peeled as well. I should probably get rid of it. How are the ArmyTeks compared to these? Are they better?

Amelia

Enlightened
My H600 is just such a bad tint color that I don't use it. I also (thought) I was choosing the most floody version, but it's not floody at all with its very narrow focused beam - which isn't my first choice for a headlamp. It works fine, but sees no use because of the greenish tint and spotlight beam. It was a waste of $75 bucks or whatever it cost and I'm very disappointed with it.

What are my options to change the color of the tint and make it more floody? Are there different (more orange peeled?) reflectors available separately? Thanks.

I have the original box and paperwork, which specifically says, "The LED cannot be replaced." The reflector seems like it's already at least slightly orange peeled as well. I should probably get rid of it. How are the ArmyTeks compared to these? Are they better?

The H600 that you bought is the least floody version.

The H602 is pure flood, H600F is in between (throwy flood), and H600 is mainly a spot type with peripheral flood. From my reading, I gather that the H602 is mainly for indoor use and has no throw at all. For that reason, I've never bought one. I own the other 2 models, though, and I wish I had just gone H600Fw all the way - it's just perfect in almost every way, wonderful smooth floodiness with enough throw to be useful on a trail.
The "w" (Neutral White) model has really nice tint too... cool white lights (like the H600 you bought) tend to have more of the green/blue tints sort of like you describe.

You could try putting some Scotch magic tape or DC Fix ("Sand" pattern) over the lens to "flood-ify" the beam, a lot of people here do that to the H600 to make it floodier.

I don't think you'll be able to do anything about the tint of your light though - other than maybe a Lee filter. I'd personally return it and try for another better tinted light, and maybe change the model # to get the floodiness you're after. If you can't return it, put it up for sale in the classifieds here, take a small loss, and get the light you are really after.

Can't comment much on the Armytek headlamps, I was briefly interested in them until I found the H600Fw - which is the absolute perfect headlamp for my needs. I stopped looking around at other headlamps after finding it, I'm just going to buy a few spares and be happy! :) A lot of people here like the Armytech headlamps though, do some forum searching/reading and you should be able to determine if they are right for you.

Last edited: