what's currently the best single 18650 headlamp?

cy

Flashaholic
have flat lost track of what's the highest rated 1x 18650 headlamp?

not worried about highest lumen output as most of the time closeup work needs under 50 lumens .. needs to be very compact/low weight and user friendly. bonus if headlamp has a USB charging port, but compact/lighter weight is more important. heavy headlamps gets to be a pita after a few hours of say working on your transmission.

already got a HID headlamp for my bike riding and a caving headlamp for heavy duty applications. both are too heavy for general purpose duties like camping and repair jobs.

soooo .. what's currently the best single 18650 headlamp?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight and Armytek get a lion's share of flashaholic loving on CPF. Both companies offer a healthy amount of options with different led tints, beam patterns and battery sizes.

To narrow your choices down, you should consider which led tint and beam pattern you're after as well. Maybe since (lack of) weight is important, and not that many lumens are needed, you might be able to get away with a CR123 or AA light instead of an 18650 light.

Amelia

Enlightened
Just my opinion... the Zebralight H600Fw is hard to beat! Nice neutral tint, floody - but with enough throw to be useful on the trail. Weight is good, headband is excellent... price is a little high, but you pay for quality. Overall, I have nothing bad to say about this light. I'm so impressed, in fact, that I ordered 2 spares.

cy

Flashaholic
thank .. got a first gen Zebralight that use single AA ... not real impressed way too floody with no reflector
that was pre-cree so lumens was not in same league .. didn't even consider Zebralight due to marginal performance of first gen

what's the feedback for HC90vn
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?386085-HC90vn-The-Best-Headlamp

HC90_OI1-580x580.png

Last edited:

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
thank .. got a first gen Zebralight that use single AA ... not real impressed way too floody with no reflector
that was pre-cree so lumens was not in same league .. didn't even consider Zebralight due to marginal performance of first gen

what's the feedback for HC90vn
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?386085-HC90vn-The-Best-Headlamp

Check out the Zebralight h52w. AA, so it is small and thus quite light, especially if you use lithium primaries. The output is quite good, especially for an AA light. It has a good balance between flood and throw. h52fw will work, too if you want slightly more flood-biased light.

cy

Flashaholic
really want to stay away from AA lights .. just not enough milliamps for my needs. my favorite configuration is 1x 18650 LiCo cell .. max runtime without excessively large profile. preference for single LiCo cell flashlights goes way back to first gen Surefire U2 that supported 1x 18650 or 2x CR123. it's been close to 10 years and that Surefire U2 is still one of my primary lights.

cistallus

Enlightened
I got a Spark SD6 from Vinh a while ago (so it's an SD6vn), pretty happy with it. It's factory-marked as SD6-460NW but Vinh did current boost so about 600L and sold it as "XML2 4500K" which may sound a bit warm but it looks more like neutral. I've used it for hours doing jobs and didn't find it too heavy. No USB recharging port though. I also got the Spark SD series reflector in case I want a bit more throw but I haven't needed it yet.

cy

Flashaholic
thanks ..will have to check out Spark SD6 .. that looks very compact

1533.jpg

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
I have a pair of zerbalight H602W and love them. They were follow on to a few zebralight H600W that I love. 6 levels of light to fit just about any task at anytime.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I think the main competitors in the field right now are the wizard series from Armytek, H600 series from Zebralight, and the SG6 series from Spark.

Most other offerings are either lacking proper low modes for a headlamp, or lacking a neutral or warm emitter option, or are too heavy, or some combination of issues.

Of the bunch listed above, I think Armytek's TIR lumen management beats everything else, but that's a subjective option.... My main reasoning though, is that, bare emitter lights are very high glare for on-lookers, making them terrible for use around anyone while working or camping. They also require the use of higher output modes to reach the same visual acuity on a subject, as there is just NO lumen management at all, so many lumens wasted to unnecessarily wide "spill" everywhere. . Flood achieved via a frosted lens over a reflector is better, but also produces higher than ideal glare for on-lookers, as the light "source" is now the lens itself. Here again, if you're in front of it, you're seeing darn near the full brunt of glare possible. Lastly, the Wizards implementation of a TIR actually "controls" lumens into a functional near-field narrow flood light, so high glare is constrained to the wide beam pattern, the "spill" beam is far less intense, meaning, you can point the light at your subject, like say, a stove you are running to cook a meal at camp, without blinding everyone positioned facing what would be your "front hemisphere." Of course, then there are traditional reflector headlamps, which I would consider largely obsolete with the output possible on modern emitters from li-ion power, as they cause very narrow tunnel vision in actual use in dark environments, which can cause unnecessary disorientation and clumsiness. At this point, I would only use a traditional reflector headlamp for situations where the headlamp is being forced to compete with strong ambient lighting, thus, requiring very high lux on a subject to bring it up to the competing levels that my eyes are adjusted to... for example, working in an electrical box, in a barn or shed with sunlight coming in from a side-angle. For all intents and purposes, my eyes would be adjusted for sunlight, but the box is in dark shadow. For that I'm going to need to concentrate the lumens to compete with the sun. The wizard might manage but would have to be in high or max mode. Headlamps with reflectors typically offer ~3-4X the peak lux, thus, would be much better. Tunnel vision is less of an issue here, as we're already dealing with contrast issues in the environment anyway.

dss_777

Enlightened
I'm really happy with the ZL H600w Mk II. I absolutely rely on a more throw-capable headlamp, and find this one works well for that. The floody headlamps disappoint me. Just note that any 18650 headlamp almost always requires a top strap arrangement, or they flop around too much. A single headband needs to be cinched pretty tight to prevent that, causing more pain than I'm willing to endure for a headlamp.

Take a peak at this thread- good discussion and pics: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ving-a-hard-time-ZL-H600W-vs-H602W&highlight=

desmobob

Enlightened
My current best, after previously using five headlamps from Petzl, Princeton Tech, Black Diamond and Fenix:

- for a "throwy" headlamp: Zebralight H600w MkII.
- for a flood headlamp: ArmyTek Wizard Pro.

I'm hooked on the 18650 headlamps now, but have no reason to buy another! These two are fantastic!

Take it easy,
Bob