Tried and Tested Waterproof Flashlight

Natwest16

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I'm currently looking for a very rugged + bright flashlight for some serious outdoor work, and therefore it needs to be waterproof for the inevitable. I looked into the waterproofing system, and as far as I can tell I'm looking for a torch rated IPX-8. Seeing as I currently have no experience with any of them, I thought I would ask the forum.

-Rugged
-Waterproof
-Bright
-Reasonably priced (preferably)

Anyone been using one for a while and can recommend?

Many thanks,
Natwest16

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey,

I'm currently looking for a very rugged + bright flashlight for some serious outdoor work, and therefore it needs to be waterproof for the inevitable. I looked into the waterproofing system, and as far as I can tell I'm looking for a torch rated IPX-8. Seeing as I currently have no experience with any of them, I thought I would ask the forum.

-Rugged
-Waterproof
-Bright
-Reasonably priced (preferably)

Anyone been using one for a while and can recommend?

Many thanks,
Natwest16
Streamlight are used widely by many Fire Dept. crews.
That would be good enough for me!

gianetics

Enlightened
armytek and hds are both 30 meter waterproof. Prometheus lights were tested down to 300 atm. i have personally used hds,armytek,foursevens, lights in glasses of water to use them as lamps. what is your price range? 47's and armytek will be the cheaper lights

dss_777

Enlightened
Interesting discussion on IP ratings here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?229090-IPX8-standard-explained!!!

If you expect submersion, and want to operate the light underwater, I really think you're going to need a dive light. And they're just not real bright, compared to current flashlights. See Bigblue dive lights for an a example.

If you just want the light to survive being used in the rain, or the occasional accidental submersion, go with the manufacturer specs for the lights that meet your expected needs. IMO, most modern lights run fine in the presence of SOME water, with the weakness in the switch area. Keep the O-rings lubed, be mindful of where water can get in when operating it, it should be fine.

Amelia

Enlightened
I dunked my Armytek Predator Pro in the bathtub, about 1 foot of warm soapy water, for probably 20 minutes. Did this the day after I got it, to make sure it would survive being in a heavy rain storm or dropped in a creek. It was on medium power for the whole dunking. Survived just fine, no water inside when I unscrewed it.

mhanlen

Enlightened
I have took my Armytek Wizard Pro swimming before. I was searching in a few feet of murky water for my wedding ring- unsucessfully. I used my Xtar B20 in the same scenario too, and both had zero probelms. I even changed modes underwater. I ran a load of laundry with a Fenix LD15 and Rayus C01 in the washing machine with no problems.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A key point is whether they can be submerged and not leak, or, if they can be submerged, and the controls operated, and not leak.

Xtar for example makes inexpensive dive lights. I've seen Fenix 70's used as dive lights despite not being rated for it....and so forth.

Are you taking about dropping in a puddle accidentally, or underwater exploration?

Raze

Enlightened
I took my Prometheus Lights Alpha for SCUBA diving. It worked well untill I reach about 30 feet (according to my dive computer) where the water pressure forced the forward clicky tailcap to a constant on. I can't depress the button to change modes - hence it was stuck on High. Though, no other problem during the rest of the dive, even to 100 feet. Runtime and brightness even got slightly better as the water cooled the light. Now I use the Nitecore SRT7 as my dive light. The water pressure still pushes against the clicky tailcap, but I use the rotary ring to adjust brightness and to turn off.