3.8 V IMR26650 Charging Voltage

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several of the cells that are pictured on post #56 of this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...BatterySpaces-4000mah-26650-cells-Graph/page2

The posters on this thread and I probably hadn't heard of 4.30 V and 4.35V cells at that time, and I read no discussion of the significance of the 3.8V.

Can I safely charge them at a 4.35V setting? If so, does anyone know what capacity increase might be obtained?

My cells have been lightly used and seem fine. They delivered 4200 mAh at 0.35 A drain when new when charged to 4.2V. I'll measure them on a new charger/analyzer I'll soon receive.

Two of my new chargers have 4.35 V charge settings available. This forum says that 4.30 V cells may or may not fall within the tolerance band of a 4.35V charger.

Neither Battery Space nor Nailbender (where I bought my cells) still carry the cells so I'm hesitant to ask them.

[edit: I do find a vape store selling MNKE 4000 mAh 26650 cells that refers to both 3.7V and 3.8V in the listing (not confidence inspiring) and says a 4.2V charger should be used. I think I remember seeing these or similar MNKE cells in the 2010 time frame. http://www.fluidvapes.com/batteries/mnke-26650-imr-battery ]

At the time I do remember assuming that the 3.8V marking was probably intended to emphasize the lesser voltage sag under load with IMR chemistry than ICR.

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never seen a 26650 cell rated by its manufacturer to be safe with a 4.35V charge. Is there a spec sheet for that battery?

If you want to experiment with a 4.35V charge, do it where a battery fire will not burn down your home. Even if the battery does not overheat, its cycle life will be adversely affected by the higher charge voltage.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
No spec sheet or manufacturer identification on the battery. I don't intend to charge to 4.35 V unless I read a persuasive response in this thread to the contrary.