Nitecore srt3 vs Eagletac d25c clicky

filiusincendia

Newly Enlightened
Can't decide between the 2 as a EDC that's unnoticeable in the pocket but still bright enough to stick in somebody's face if need be (homeless people like to lurk around the parking garage when leaving late at night and some can be aggressive)

Anyone used both and can compare? Larger, brighter, more features on the srt3 vs the smaller, not as bright, simpler (simpler often better) d25c.

filiusincendia

Newly Enlightened
Looking more in depth it appears that the srt3 is 550 lumens with rcr123 and only 330 with cr123. The d25c is is 750 lumens with rcr123 and 453 with cr123.

Nitecore advertises the rcr123 rating and eagletac the the cr123 rating. Makes it seem the nitecore is brighter but it actually is not.

Does this seem correct ? If so, smaller and brighter wins out and I will be ordering a d25c.

Amelia

Enlightened
I own the SRT3 (actually two...) and will say this: the SRT3 is rather large if you are running it 1xCR123.... huge actually for that battery configuration. I've had one of mine (and both extender tubes) bored for 1x18650, and find it acceptably sized for that configuration.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although not mentioned a light I would recommend to consider is the Zebralight SC32. It's going to give you quick access from off to strobe and is simple and completely disappears in the pocket. I'm not as familiar with the Eagletac but the UI can be a little slower as far as switching to strobe. If you need strobe you want quick access and not a lot of things to remember.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although not mentioned a light I would recommend to consider is the Zebralight SC32. It's going to give you quick access from off to strobe and is simple and completely disappears in the pocket. I'm not as familiar with the Eagletac but the UI can be a little slower as far as switching to strobe. If you need strobe you want quick access and not a lot of things to remember.
Well since you are not familiar how can you say?
The ET with head tightened is 2 1/2 clicks to the Strobe,the ZL(which I have several and love) are all much tougher to get Strobe than this.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore seems ginormous for the battery it takes to me?
I have several D25C and they are very small and very bright,much more pocketable to me.

The real advantage the SRT will have is the ability to preset the output to be activated by the switch moreso than the EY but both are great lights either way.

radiopej

Enlightened
I've used both and have the ET. ET is definitely smaller - the SRT3 is still small, but bigger than you'd like a CR123 to be. On the bright side, it also takes AA.

The Nitecore has a tonne of great modes, but you'll need to twist the switch to get them (really easy and quick, but more involved than just turning on ET and tapping it to pick between high and strobe when the head is tightened).

For brightness, that level of brightness is fine for either (yes, ET is brighter) though I think the Nitecore has a more narrow beam (can't remember for sure). It also has a nice crenellated bezel... for seeing if the light is still on.

I wouldn't want to get rid of my ET, though (except for the sizing) I prefer the range of features the SRT3 has. The SRT3 seems more in line with Surefire E1s and Olight M10 series lights in the size factor - belts rather than pockets.

slim4511

Newly Enlightened
I have the d25c and use it quite a bit. There really isn't anything that I don't like about it.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ET with head tightened is 2 1/2 clicks to the Strobe,the ZL(which I have several and love) are all much tougher to get Strobe than this.

Assuming the head is tightened it is easier. What if it's loose then how many clicks? Or what if you forget if the head is loosened or tightened? I prefer simplicity in times of emergency and fast reaction situations and the ZL is consistent at 3 clicks no matter what. The easiest of them is the SRT just click on and rotate the ring all the way to the right and it's in strobe and you can select output before turning it on. It is much larger though and that's the main drawback.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming the head is tightened it is easier. What if it's loose then how many clicks? Or what if you forget if the head is loosened or tightened? I prefer simplicity in times of emergency and fast reaction situations and the ZL is consistent at 3 clicks no matter what.

Yes, I've used both, and Zebralight is easier to get strobe.

However, it's annoyingly easy, because I absolutely hate strobes, and wish they were eliminated or hidden very well. IMO, strobes won't do you any good against an attacker, except perhaps make him more mad at you.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Definitely go with the Eagletac. It's tiny relative to the other lights. The SRT3 is very large for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Amelia

Enlightened
Definitely go with the Eagletac. It's tiny relative to the other lights. The SRT3 is very large for what it is.

Actually, the SRT3 is unique for what it is. Yes, it's large - especially if you're running it 1xCR123 / 1x16340. However, it's the ONLY light with a magnetic ring and useful (which means dim) secondary red emitter. Also, when combined with a SRT5 tube (they are lego-able), you end up with the ULTIMATE multi-fuel, multi-chemistry light - taking everything from AAA (with aluminum foil "adapter") to 18650 and everything in between. Don't dismiss the SRT3 purely based on its size, it actually is a pretty marvelous machine in a lot of ways. Now... if I could only get one with a neutral emitter... :)

Berneck1

Enlightened
Actually, the SRT3 is unique for what it is. Yes, it's large - especially if you're running it 1xCR123 / 1x16340. However, it's the ONLY light with a magnetic ring and useful (which means dim) secondary red emitter. Also, when combined with a SRT5 tube (they are lego-able), you end up with the ULTIMATE multi-fuel, multi-chemistry light - taking everything from AAA (with aluminum foil "adapter") to 18650 and everything in between. Don't dismiss the SRT3 purely based on its size, it actually is a pretty marvelous machine in a lot of ways. Now... if I could only get one with a neutral emitter... :)

I agree, I really like the SRT3. I didn't know that about the SRT5 tube. I was speaking more because the OP wants to carry in their pocket. I've found the SRT3 to be too large for that.

Amelia

Enlightened
I agree, I really like the SRT3. I didn't know that about the SRT5 tube. I was speaking more because the OP wants to carry in their pocket. I've found the SRT3 to be too large for that.

Yeah... the SRT3 is freaking HUGE for a 1xCR123 light! I have many 18650 lights that are smaller and more pocketable.

As for legoing SRT5 tube with SRT3 head - the only thing to watch out for is DO NOT use 2xCR123 (or 2x16340) unless you use the original SRT5 head. Lots of people think the SRT3 and SRT5 use the same head, but they don't. The SRT5 head can take more voltage, but won't run at lower voltages (1.2V Eneloops) like the SRT3 will.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

My D25C clicky with tightened head is just click on then softpress to get to strobe.

It is much smaller yet very bright. Perfect for pocket carry. One warning, clean threads weekly (I do it monthly) or it may not work properly.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
My D25C clicky with tightened head is just click on then softpress to get to strobe.

It is much smaller yet very bright. Perfect for pocket carry. One warning, clean threads weekly (I do it monthly) or it may not work properly.
This is more what I was trying to say but did not find the words at the time.

If it about pocketable then the ET is the clear choice of these 2.

On the other hand I don't read anywhere that the O.P. even mentions Strobe as a needed function?
So I am not sure how this has even come up?

I have almost picked up an SRT3 several times but it just seems so honking Huge to me.
The Red light and other "Features" are more Liability to me than sought after.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the topic of strobe came up since the OP mentioned having something to ward off potential attackers and typically strobe is better for that since it can be quite disorienting especially when your eyes are dark adjusted.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and love both for the reasons mentioned above. I would like to add a consideration for you:
Buy an ET D25C from Vinh-1400 lumens of blinding light, and you can choose whatever programming features you want. If that is not a consideration, then the deciding factor is size/runtime. If you use your light several minutes each night and don't want to be concerned with recharging, go for the D25C, small and easy to carry. If you use your light 30 minutes a day-I would recommend Amelia's solution and go for an 18650 Sr3 head/SR5 tube.

filiusincendia

Newly Enlightened
Great info and yes size is most important to me since this is meant as EDC. I figure 400 lumens that you have on you is better than more lumens and features that may sit on the dresser if it's not comfortable to pocket. Maybe I'll just get a larger handheld down the road with more features/lumens.

I personally find a bright unexpected light more disorienting than a strobe. I think I could even find more uses for a beacon than a strobe...just my personal preference.

What is the ET d25c from Vinh with 1400 lumens?