Nitecore EA11/EC11: EDC-lights, XM-L2(U2), IMR, max 900 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
Up to 900 lumens coming out of a light that has the same size as your thumb? From now, this should be possible: Nitecore recently introduced the EA11 and EC11: tiny, powerful lights, running on a lot of power sources. Let's see how this little ones perform!

EA11 and EC11
2ccrw1s.jpg

powered by XM-L2 (U2) led and red light
2u8fhc6.jpg

small: the EA11
rwuv0h.jpg

and even smaller: the EC11
wi80b5.jpg

As usual, the (manufacturer) specs to start with: (the same, except the dimensions)

Features:

• Utilizes CREE XM-L2 (U2) LED
• Maximum output of 900 lumens
• Integrated "Precision Digital Optics Technology" provides extreme reflector performance
• Boasts a peak beam intensity of 9000 cd and a throw distance of up to 190 meters
• Dual-switch design ensures unprecedented ease of use
• Secondary red LED provides constant / flashing illumination
• Indicates battery voltage with a red flashing LED (accurate to 0.1V)
• High efficiency constant current circuit enables maximum runtime of 10 hours (20 hours for EC11)
• Direct access to ultra-low and turbo output
• Reverse polarity protection prevents damage from an incorrectl y inserted battery
• Detachable two-way anti-rolling clip
• Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
• Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy
• HAIII military grade hard-anodized
• Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (2 meters submersible)
• Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
• Tail stand capability

Dimensions:

EA11:

Length: 3.62" / 92mm
Head diameter: 1" / 25.4mm
Tail diameter: 0.79" / 20mm
Weight: 1.87oz / 53 grams (without battery)

EC11:

Length: 2.95"/ 75mm
Head diameter: 1"/ 25.4mm
Tail diameter: 1"/ 25.4mm
Weight: 1.60oz / 45.3 grams (without battery)

And the output and runtime specs:

EA11:
2myothu.jpg

EC11:
snotna.jpg

Unboxing:

Compact lights, tiny boxes…The EA11 and EC11 are hidden in colorful boxes with nice prints. Almost all features are mentioned, so no secrets about the contents here J As usual, Nitecore provides a very complete package: Except a battery all you need is there. Again, a complete and neat box here!

only difference in dimensions
6iyxc5.jpg

inside the boxes: manual, warranty card, holster, lanyard, clip and spare o-ring
2h7dop1.jpg

Impressions:

First impressions are okay: A good job on anodizing, finishing an machining. The EA11 has a smaller tube, because of the AA size. The difference in length is the dimension of EA11's tailcap. Heads are equal, except the prints. It's possible to exchange the heads. The led in my EC11 was positioned better. As always with Nitecores, there's are lot of grease on the perfect machined threads. The engraving is done sufficiently, not the best I've ever seen. About carrying: The EC11 can easy be hidden in the palm of a (average) hand, but personally, I prefer the EA11 because of its little longer and smaller tube. Both lights come with sturdy clips, that you can add on in two ways; and have perfect anti-roll design and steady tailstanding. Overall: two high quality, " easy-to-handle-with" lights! Please have a look at the pictures below for more impressions..

user friendly, high-output EDC's
286x3q9.jpg

heads are equal, tubes are different
ie4jo6.jpg

powered by the same XM-L2 (U2) led
24brjug.jpg

as long as your finger / thumb
1o4olz.jpg

again, a good job on anodizing
2d7uhyd.jpg

and finishing
2wheefo.jpg

multifunctional red light: constant on, blink, voltage indicator and location beacon
2vnjk86.jpg

fit in the holster, even with added clips
2e533i0.jpg

difference in length
sqqbz7.jpg

the EC11 has a thicker tube
2mxkfuv.jpg

difference in engraving too
mmfx1j.jpg

a lot of power sources possible; both lights can run on IMR-cells too
23ts31k.jpg

the Nitecore D4 can charge IMR-cells too, I can recommend you this one!
103sh3d.jpg

a close up of the engraving: looks a bit blurry
fmur9y.jpg

both lights do have three parts
2zhdxdy.jpg

looking inside the tube and heads..
2laqds.jpg

the EA11 is an ideal EDC: what about clipping it on your cap?
16j1vft.jpg

or carry it on your backpack…
331px91.jpg

while walking…
2w1uwwp.jpg

the EC11 is the best choice in cold conditions, because of the frost-proof CR123A cell
2ep7og3.jpg

User interface:

The interfaces are equal. Control the lights with the two little side buttons. You can't feel difference in shape, but in total darkness it's no problem to find the lights' head. Press the bottom one for on/off, after that the upper for selecting the desired mode. A short press on the upper button will activate constant red, press one of the button to shut off. Press and hold (only when off) the bottom for instant lower/moonlight and the upper button for instant turbo. Press and hold (when white light is activated) for special modes: Starting with strobe > press and hold again to cycle through the next special modes. There's also instant-strobe: Quick double-press the upper/mode button from off to get this. At red constant mode, press and hold the upper button for red blinking-mode. While shutting of the normal white and holding the button, the light will go into location-beacon-mode. One red flash every 3 seconds will help you to find your light back. When the light is on, and you press both buttons together for over one second, the light will go into lock-out mode. Do the same from off to reactivate. Overall, this is really an innovative interface that needs some exercise, but you'll get used by it in a few days.

Modes:

Nitecore has really packed a bunch of modes in this tiny ones! Both lights have five main-modes: Lower > Low > Medium > High > Turbo. The red light has constant on, blinking mode and location mode (one flash every 3 seconds) As usual, Nitecore comes with several special modes too: Strobe > SOS > Location Beacon. Again, Nitecore did a good job on modes here.

Size comparison:

The Nitecores side by side here, and also compared to some other competitors: Two lights in the "16340-class" (Fenix PD22UE and Klarus RS16); and one "14500-light" (Olight ST25 Baton)

CR123A, AA battery, Nitecore EC11, Nitecore EA11, Fenix PD22UE and Klarus RS16
2qd39tz.jpg

Nitecore EC11, Nitecore EA11, Fenix PD22UE and Klarus RS16
2h5tg5t.jpg

reverse..
29dxmz5.jpg

both Nitecore have XM-L2 (U2) bulbs, Fenix and Klarus have XP-L leds
2v8spzd.jpg

and a look at the tails
2zxv0xf.jpg

a tiny monster and a tiny flashlight
bdwg9t.jpg

Tint:

Showing the lights' tint a white wall. Also in this comparison: the Olight ST25. The tint of my EA11 sample is little bluish.

sq2uyo.jpg

Beamprofile:

Thanks to the orange-peel reflector the lights have a good beamprofile, suited for allday-use. Medium throw, a rather big corona and enough spill to see what's going on at night. Only when looking though a (video)camera, the lights do have PWM at the middle modes, except Lower and Turbo. For map reading in total darkness you can use the red light because of the hotspot.

Beamshots:

At first, the lights together projected on a white wall to show their beamprofiles. For this, I used the IMR cells. Distance to the wall about 0,5 meter.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
x6ez3c.jpg

rwt3yg.jpg

iokgvm.jpg

mljm74.jpg

30k5yf5.jpg

animation picture
2poac0g.jpg

Red light:

A longer exposure time selected here to show the red lights' beamprofile.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 0.4 sec, 35mm
2llo7dv.jpg

Going outside now…..At first, the five output modes of both lights, with different batteries used. I am surprised by the power of the Nitecore rechargeables, or little disappointed by the power of the IMR's: With both cells fresh charged, I couldn't see difference in output…. Finally, a shootout against some competitors. Because I did a lot of beamshots, only GIF-pictures here. ( I skipped the red light, because it isn't visible at the outdoor shots)

NOTE: the focus of the hotspot may vary because of the different shape of the lights

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm

the EA11 running on AA-eneloop versus EA11 on Nitecore 14500 cell
2iatun9.jpg

the EC11 running on Duracell CR123A against EC11 running on Nitecore RCR123A at turbo mode
yjqsy.jpg

the EA11 with Nitecore 14500 versus EC11 with Nitecore RCR123A
i41qgm.jpg

the EA11 with Nitecore 14500 versus Olight ST25 Baton running on 14500+spacer, both at turbo
2mcue1l.jpg

the EC11 with Nitecore RCR123A against the Fenix PD22UE running on 16340 cell at turbo mode
wlpgz.jpg

LOCATION 2:

the EA11's output modes running on AW IMR 14500 cell
nnwv46.jpg

EA11 on AA-Eneloop against EA11 running on 14500 versus IMR 14500, all at turbo-mode
e9hf87.jpg

the EC11's output modes running on AW IMR 18350 cell
2mpagro.jpg

EC11 with RCR123A against EC11 running on AW IMR 18350 cell
64jfrd.jpg

EA11 with IMR 14500 against EC11 with IMR 18350
20afiq9.jpg

Conclusion:

The Nitecore EA11 an EC11 are both impressive lights. Because of the bunch of output-modes they have, you can handle most situations with this tiny ones: From ultralow red, 1 lumen white low until 900? lumens on IMR cells. Interface is ok, but personally, I prefer the "one-button-for-all" like Nitecore has added to the later released MH20. Nice to know you have instant low / turbo and location beacon too. To be honest, I was not impressed of the performance while running on IMR-cells. So far I've seen, output on RCR123A and 14500 is almost the same. So, I will go for protected when EDC-ing these lights…The EA11 is easier to handle with, because of the length and the smaller tube; the EC11 would be a better choice in cold conditions.
I really would like to see this lights with built-in tail magnet. Personally, when you're looking for a nice, high-output EDC, I would go for the combination EA11 with protected Nitecore 14500 in combination with a pack of readily available alkaline cells.

Nitecore EA11 and EC11 provided for review

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the review ,,,,,,,,,,,,,great gifs! I have the EC11,A very powerful little light! It gets hotter than most of my Vinh lights!

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up the EA11 myself. Wow! What a pocket rocket. I use IMR 14500's.
I have several older Jetbeam lights and this little guy puts them all to shame.
The EA11 matches my JB WL-S2 (2xRCR123a) but in a smaller lighter package.
And the run time with my WL-S2 is only 30 minutes more with both @900lm.
Great light with a nice interface. Recommend. -keith

jamespie

Newly Enlightened
I'm so glad I found this review. I was thinking about getting one.

sandalian

Enlightened
I have EA11 and found that the laser printing on the body is not very perfect, and now I see yours too.

Btw, do you think their heads are interchangeable?

me_no_thing

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for review kj75

Beamshots especially. Not to much different using imr and 14500 @ea11

Btw
When need extra runtime, i using 18650 tube for my ea11

2po1vmh.jpg

:thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned
Mine lasted 6 weeks before it went haywire! Good news is I am getting a refund[after 30 days it is not required].

I got this light April 25th.As most of us know it was delayed several times and for several months. Well it looks like Nitecore did not FIX ALL the glitches! Either that or I just have bad luck! I believe it to be the former.

The light is totally ERACTIC! As I type this it is switching modes and flickering on its own. Sometimes it stays stuck on Moonlight then 30 seconds later switches to LOW w/ no access to other modes.Instant turbo also fails. Glad I have plenty of EDC's!

ohhh,,yaa I cleaned ALL contacts.

Flashy808

Enlightened
Great & Detailed Review :thumbsup: Deifinitely will help me deciding between the 2.

& Adding a extension is a brilliant idea +1 :D especially with its low runtimes.