Replacing my current led torch with a more powerful one. Suggestions?

Snowleopard1

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have been looking at replacing my old cheap LED flashlight with something more powerful with different lumen output levels depending on my needs. The old LED flashlight maxed out at 700 lumens, and I am looking for something more along the searchlight level between 5000-12,000 lumens, but in a torch style package instead of a searchlight style package.

I figured this would be the best place to get suggestions.

Thank you.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your price range and what do you need the light for? What is your preferred battery type?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
5,000-12,000 lumen? That's high end stuff, and almost certainly going to be a fairly large light. What are your size requirements and how do you intend to carry the light?

Also, what do you intend to use the light for? An LED flashlight outputting 12,000 lumens is going to have multiple emitters and be a flood monster. You'll get an enormous amount of light... but probably over a wide area. If you need a spotlight for looking at something far in the distance, you should probably look for a much lower lumen single emitter light with a wide optic or reflector. They don't emit as much light, but the hotspot is very concentrated and throws much further.

FYI if you look at Ebay you'll see lots of lights in that range... but it's almost all false advertising. Most of the lights advertised in that range would be lucky to get 20% of their advertised output. To get a light that actually outputs 5,000-12,000 lumens could cost hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need that many lumens, LEDs probably aren't the way to go. As mentioned, you'll get too much flood, and you're probably looking for throw if you want something that powerful.

Get a HID spotlight. Something around 75 watts should get you to 5000 lumens, at a reasonable price. (Way cheaper than trying to do it with LEDs.)

The drawback with the HID spotlight will be a very short run-time. Probably around 20 minutes.

Amelia

Enlightened
EagleTac MX25L4C will get you in close to 5,000 lumens - mostly flood, but throwy enough to hit 300-yardish range with plenty of light. Plenty of output modes, available with pleasing neutral tint, and it's a reasonable size/weight.
Around $200, shipped.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac MX25L4C will get you in close to 5,000 lumens - mostly flood, but throwy enough to hit 300-yardish range with plenty of light. Plenty of output modes, available with pleasing neutral tint, and it's a reasonable size/weight.
Around $200, shipped.

For that price might as well get a Noctigon Meteor M43. It's much smaller, brighter, and if you get the 1D dedomed one, should throw a lot further.

Berneck1

Enlightened
If it's an old cheap light, I'm willing to bet that the "700 lumens" you have is probably nowhere near 700 lumens. 5000 to 12000 is an insane amount of light. May I ask what you need it for? Or are you just estimating based on the 700 lumen light you already have...

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

ven

Flashaholic
:welcome:

What are your needs? flood,throw,both?
Flood tn36vn or mm15vn
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393737-TN36vn-Brightest-Pop-Can-Light
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381409-WTS-MM15vn-Noah
mm15vn is 2xmtg2 and a neutral,boosted to over 7400lm
Flood/throw x60mvn or x60vn and tk75vn
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?386489-X60Mvn-Brightest-Portable-Searchlight
tk75vn killer throw edition
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?374328-WTS-TK75vn
New acebeam k60 out too,vinhs mods(the vn bit) for A K60vn
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?401941-K60vn-First-XHP70-Thrower

Or if you want real awesome and light the world up,requires a donation of around $1000 though
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400812-TK75vn77-Ultimate-Flood-)
Its not just the lumens,more on the reflectors,how many,how deep,how wide,the deft x is "only 600lm" but throws 1,000,000cd........amazing

Vinhs mods include better beefed up wires,heat sinking,current bumps and properly tested,less chance of issues like from manufacturers imho,any faults get put right!. Also 2nd to none customer service to back it up.

Have fun:D

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I am looking for something more along the searchlight level between 5000-12,000 lumens, but in a torch style package instead of a searchlight style package.

There are a few "torch style" LED flashlights that can output 5000lm+ as others have pointed out, but the main problem is inadequate heatsinking due to the small surface area of these lights. Some manufacturers e.g. Fenix deal with this by making the light throttle down to a lower output after a few minutes, but other manufacturers are less conservative in this respect and the flashlight body can get very hot. If you were to run one of these lights continuously on max output and set it down for an extended period of time, the light would get hot enough to burn your hand and in the worst case scenario, cause li-ion batteries to explode.

EDIT: I'm not saying you shouldn't buy one, just be aware of this

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to visit those auction thingies where they offer silly lumens for silly cheap prices and then you will have a true mega lumen light.:D

TeeKay

Newly Enlightened
If you are willing to lower your requirements a little, you might be happy with a Nitecore TM26 which will give you 4000 lumens off the shelf. The difference in output from 5000 lumens will not be that noticeable. It also has both decent throw and flood.

Ladp.1

Newly Enlightened
I'm a director of photography. I have one of the new Mole Richardson LED at weenie fresnels that has a daylight balanced 90cri 100 watt LED in it that puts out only slightly more light than your looking for. $1300 and a long extension cord might get you there ;)

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking from what I've read here lately, the OP has since changed their name and has abandoned this thread.