• Orbtronic - 18650

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • KeePower - 18650

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AW vs Orbtronic vs KeePower 18650

Thought this poll would take off like a rocket ship! Maybe I was too optimistic... Im absolutely a research junky, but the 18650 world is new to me and seems to have changed recently with the addition of new quality brands. I figured this would be the most efficient way to see the up to the minute consensus on peoples preferred 18650, and all the information that goes along with it.

I need data STAT! Cast your vote and tell us why!

MUCH APPRECIATED!

- Forrest

:popcorn:

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like AW, but their cells are a bit on the spendy side. Assuming that the three above are using the same bare cell and using the same Seiko PCB, I'm going with the cheapest cost to me.

Right now, that's Orbtronic and since they're here in Florida, I'm helping another Floridian out.

That being said, I generally fly naked, so I don't have any of the above.

Chris

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

:hahaha:

I like AW, but their cells are a bit on the spendy side. Assuming that the three above are using the same bare cell and using the same Seiko PCB, I'm going with the cheapest cost to me.

Right now, that's Orbtronic and since they're here in Florida, I'm helping another Floridian out.

That being said, I generally fly naked, so I don't have any of the above.

Chris

Last edited:

Firsh

Newly Enlightened

After reading for days here, I decided to get KeepPower 3400mAh because I find that it's a solid manufacturer with good quality products. It has a nice price point, while AW has twice the cost in the shop I'll buy from. I saw that in this capacity, AW batteries do exist but they aren't very reviewed or not as readily available for affordable prices. This comparison by HKJ helped me a lot: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary UK.html

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

After reading for days here, I decided to get KeepPower 3400mAh because I find that it's a solid manufacturer with good quality products. It has a nice price point, while AW has twice the cost in the shop I'll buy from. I saw that in this capacity, AW batteries do exist but they aren't very reviewed or not as readily available for affordable prices. This comparison by HKJ helped me a lot: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary UK.html

:welcome:

I am learning fast that HKJ is the Battery / Charger guru. Lots of good stuff over there. Thanks for the post and welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

I've generally been going with naked Panasonic NCR18650B, but recently started with the Keeppower cells. Great value! Both can be had for about $5 or $6.

KeepPower IMR 18650 2500mAh - 20A constant
KeepPower IMR 18650 3200mAh - 10A constant

I believe the IMR 18650 3200mAh is an NCR18650BD inside. Losing 200mAh compared to the NCR18650B but gaining a good 3A in constant discharge is worth it IMO if you start getting into more demanding lights.

magellan

Honorary Aussie

"That being said, I generally fly naked, so I don't have any of the above."

Isn't that illegal? :)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

We got a couple votes now.... keep em coming!

:party:

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Nitecore lights that I own that require button topped batteries with protection have been getting Keeppower 3400 batteries. My Tiny Monsters require a short cell and the Keeppower 3400's fit the bill.

Recently went back to one of the regular light suppliers for a few items on extra special pricing. Getting Nitecore 3400's for the same price as the Keeppowers.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

KeepPower has two Ps. They are my choice...their protection circuit has lower internal resistance than some, the circuit doesn't trip as easily as some, and they are often either the cheapest, or close to it. They use the same quality cells as the other brands, and they are an OEM for the protection circuit, rather than paying another company to manufacture it. So they obviously know to do it properly, and quality control is in-house. Keeppower also offers a wide variety of cells...tons of different options are available, from high-capacity to ultra-high drain, all at reasonable prices.

While AW has some specific applications (I bought a couple 14500s because other cells were too long, and getting shredded) they are far too expensive to buy routinely. You pay a large premium for essentially the same performance.

I'd be just as happy to buy Orbtronic as KeepPower, but the Orbtronic cells are usually a bit more expensive, with no added benefit for the extra cost.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

KeepPower has two Ps. They are my choice...their protection circuit has lower internal resistance than some, the circuit doesn't trip as easily as some, and they are often either the cheapest, or close to it. They use the same quality cells as the other brands, and they are an OEM for the protection circuit, rather than paying another company to manufacture it. So they obviously know to do it properly, and quality control is in-house. Keeppower also offers a wide variety of cells...tons of different options are available, from high-capacity to ultra-high drain, all at reasonable prices.

While AW has some specific applications (I bought a couple 14500s because other cells were too long, and getting shredded) they are far too expensive to buy routinely. You pay a large premium for essentially the same performance.

I'd be just as happy to buy Orbtronic as KeepPower, but the Orbtronic cells are usually a bit more expensive, with no added benefit for the extra cost.

Good info. Also, it was late and I just kinda accepted the fact that no matter how careful, Id screw up the names one way or another....

KeepPower seems to stay king of the hill, still need more votes to get a good chunk of data.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

KepPower is @ 56% thus far and seem to always exceed the other 2 brands. Can anyone give a detailed explanation?

Is it because they are an OEM manufacturer or simply the price?

Capolini

Banned

1.Orbtronic
2.KeepPower
3.AW

You can actually get Four[4] Orbtronic 3400mAh cheaper than Four[4] Keeppower 3400mAh,,,by about $3. I have both and like both but have had Orbtronic much longer[2.5 years] than my Keeppowers [5 months]. Even if they were the same price or Orbtronic a few dollars more I would get Orbtronic because of the consistency and longevity that I have experienced.

BTW You misspelled Keepower[!] in your title... correct is KeepPower!:poke:

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

The value is there...given that (just about) every quality protected 3400 uses the same cell, why pay more? KeepPower isn't the final answer, but they are one of the better options.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can actually get Four[4] Orbtronic 3400mAh cheaper than Four[4] Keeppower 3400mAh,,,by about $3. I have both and like both but have had Orbtronic much longer[2.5 years] than my Keeppowers [5 months]. Even if they were the same price or Orbtronic a few dollars more I would get Orbtronic because of the consistency and longevity that I have experienced.

BTW You misspelled Keepower[!] in your title... correct is KeepPower!:poke:

You are late to the party...had that one covered.

Where do you find Orbtronics cheaper than $12 each (before discounts)? I'm always looking for good sources...Illumination Supply and Mountain Electronics are my go-to stores, but I buy enough from them already...if there is a cheaper place to get quality cells, I'd like to know about it.

I've had both Keeppowers and Orbtronic cells from almost the moment I joined CPF, and found no real difference between the two.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

KepPower is @ 56% thus far and seem to always exceed the other 2 brands. Can anyone give a detailed explanation?

Is it because they are an OEM manufacturer or simply the price?

Keeppower is doing what everybody else selling private label li-ion cells is doing, who don't actually make the cells themselves. <Whew...tongue twister there...> They get the bare cells from the manufacturers, slap on a PCB (that they make, or buy from somebody else,) or not and then shrink wrap that together. Finally, they stick their logo on it.

What Keeppower did and to a lesser degree International Outdoor and Orbtronic, was to challenge the Big Three as I call them: AW, Redilast and CalliesKustom. They didn't necessarily build a better mousetrap, they just sold it for a lot less money.

I'm fairly new here, but when I started we were slobbering over the 3100mAh Panasonic NCR-A and the Big Three were all charging $19-$21 per protected cell and only a little less for the Pannie NCR 2900s. I remember getting my EagleTac 3100s from a Ebay vendor before every other light maker started rebranding and I paid only $24 shipped for the new cells. That's a significant savings over the Big three, IMO.

For a lot of people, the Big Three offer good customer service, use good cells and have built up well regarded reputations, but for people like me, price is a big concern and so the new crop of rebranders, with their lower prices, is enticing to me.

Chris

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im crystal on the Panasonics. All cells being equal, I guess for most it boils down to the overall quality of the battery and cost.

For me it's a question of quality - although if 18650 A1 is identical to 18650 B2 and B2 is cheaper - Ill take B2.

BUT - If 18650 AX has a more reliable PCB by 5% then 18650 BX -and AX costs 10% more - I'll take AX.

Which 18650 XXX would be "best" for my application, overall quality being the biggest contributing factor?

Is quality negligible between the three brands? Is there a "better" 18650 out there?

Last edited: