Help with 150 LED light connection

trigger1970

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I am building a 1/14 scale tractor trailer. The trailer will have 75 3 volt led's on each side. I am not sure the best way to go about wiring these up.
Green LED
3v-3.5v volts
20Mh
Power Source is 11.1v

Parallel or Series
resisters

Please help

poiihy

Enlightened
You can wire modules of 4 LEDs in series, each with a current-limiting resistor, then wire all those modules in parallel. Just like an LED strip.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, trigger1970! :)

:duh2: You meant 20 mA (0.02 ampere) ? That would be the common 5mm. diameter LEDs?

If so, total power requirements are low enough to not bother with a DC-DC converter to keep currents low.

Power Source is 11.1v
That is: minimum voltage you'll expect to see from a 12V nominal lead acid battery? Or 3x Li-ion in series?
Anyway, if that's a battery then you have a voltage range, not a fixed voltage like 11.1V. A general rule would be to put as many LEDs in series as voltage allows, while keeping some % of the total voltage left over, such that with a series resistor you'll have somewhat constant current over the battery's voltage range.

In this case, 4 LEDs in series would be too many, but 3 LEDs in series would work. Series resistor is calculated using highest voltage, and allowable LED current. For example, if power source is 3x Li-ion (4.2V max per cell), allowable LED current is 20 mA, and LED voltage at that current is 3.0V, then you'd have:

R = (3*4.2V - 3*3.0V) / 0.02A = 180 Ohm. Hey that's a commonly available value! (E12 series).
Presistor​ = (12.6V - 9V)^2 / 180 Ohm = 0.07W so regular 1/4W size resistors would do. It doesn't matter where in a 3-series LED string you insert that resistor, as long as it's in series. But watch polarity for the LEDs!

If LED or battery voltage is different, adjust resistor value as desired. Then you simply put X number of [resistor + 3x LED] in parallel. In this case, on each side 25 x [resistor + 3x LED] in parallel. So you need 50x those 180 Ohm 1/4W resistors, and a lot of wiring. But currents are modest (1.0A total @ 12.6V max), so don't worry about wire thickness other than as required for mechanical strength.

Fwiw: some length of LED strip would be far easier than wiring this # of individual LEDs... :whistle:

poiihy

Enlightened
3 LEDs would work but I thought they may get close to overvoltage so 4 LEDs would be safer. But with the resistor maybe this is not so.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Series resistor limits the current, current limits both voltage and power for the LEDs. With a suitable resistor, you can run a 3V LED on 500V DC if you want. :D

poiihy

Enlightened
Series resistor limits the current, current limits both voltage and power for the LEDs. With a suitable resistor, you can run a 3V LED on 500V DC if you want. :D

Yeh I know.

Oh hey... this is my 77th post and your post is your 777th post. :eek: :D
Picture

Last edited: