Got a 5000mAH King Kong 26700 and it's at 1.9V!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received a 5000mAH King Kong 26700 from Mountain Electronics, and it's at 1.9V. Should I try to charge it or send it back?

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got a 5000mAH King Kong 5000mAH and it's at 1.9V!

I would send it, back, it should be at leat 2.5v or even better 3.0v

This must be an un-protected cell as the protection circuit would have cut in below 2.5v and you would not get a voltage reading until you reset the protection circuit.

John.

Just received a 5000mAH King Kong 26700 from Mountain Electronics, and it's at 1.9V. Should I try to charge it or send it back?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

This must be an un-protected cell as the protection circuit would have cut in below 2.5v and you would not get a voltage reading until you reset the protection circuit.

It is unprotected. However, since this is a 'new' battery, I'm guessing it probably self discharged itself down to this voltage. Protection doesn't help there and, in fact, would exacerbate the situation by drawing a small amount of power while the battery is unused. I'm guessing they don't sell alot of these at Mountain Electronics, and they tend to sit for a while. Of course, it's also possible that the cell itself is bad.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

An unprotected cell should have taken many months to discharge to that level, how much capacity has it lost in that time due to degeneration, wait and see what other members say, but i think they will say you should return it.

John.

It is unprotected. However, since this is a 'new' battery, I'm guessing it probably self discharged itself down to this voltage. Protection doesn't help there and, in fact, would exacerbate the situation by drawing a small amount of power while the battery is unused. I'm guessing they don't sell alot of these at Mountain Electronics, and they tend to sit for a while. Of course, it's also possible that the cell itself is bad.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi StorminMatt,
I am definitely not an expert on batteries, but I would reccomend calling Mountain Electronics. They have excellent customer service and might be willing to ship you another without having you ship the original back-if you try charging it first, you may have a battery that appears to be ok and is useless in a short time but outside any warranty specs...

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or years, depending on where it started and the storage conditions.

Something seems fishy.

I don't think the King Kong 26700 has even been around that long. I didn't know about it until the last year (or so). By the way, their response is to just try charging it. Not sure how safe this is.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think the King Kong 26700 has even been around that long. I didn't know about it until the last year (or so). By the way, their response is to just try charging it. Not sure how safe this is.

Well, of course that's their response. Zero cost on their part, and they're hoping that you'll either go away or it charges enough to last for a few months until you're no longer their problem.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you decide to keep the cell, use it in a single cell light only, because if it is weak and you put it in an 2 cell+ flashlight, the cell you bought could go flat while the other is still has a lot of power and it could go bang by an uneven discharge, so mark the cell with a permanent marker.

But i think you should get it exchanged.

John.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

You would think they would want to exchange it for liability reasons. I mean, charging an ICR cell that has been overdischarged can potentially burn down a house (which is why, if I try it, I should do it outside). If someone DID burn their house down, they could have their pants sued off. Even if they won in court, it would have cost them time, legal fees, etc. And I wouldn't think it would be worth a $10 battery to them to take that chance.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

You would think they would want to exchange it for liability reasons. I mean, charging an ICR cell that has been overdischarged can potentially burn down a house (which is why, if I try it, I should do it outside). If someone DID burn their house down, they could have their pants sued off. Even if they won in court, it would have cost them time, legal fees, etc. And I wouldn't think it would be worth a $10 battery to them to take that chance.

King Kong batteries are based in China. Good luck suing any company from China and ever seeing money from them. They know this.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

King Kong batteries are based in China. Good luck suing any company from China and ever seeing money from them. They know this.

I was thinking Mountain Electronics could be sued. They are the ones telling me to do something that could potentially be dangerous.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking Mountain Electronics could be sued. They are the ones telling me to do something that could potentially be dangerous.

Hmmm, yeah, that isn't very wise of them. Oh well, customer service sucks everywhere it seems.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess I COULD try charging the battery (OUTSIDE!). But another issue is the question as to whether an overdischarged ICR that survives a complete charge is permanently compromised from the standpoint of safety.

billw

Enlightened

Um... I haven't been paying attention for a while. Is over-discharging something that is supposed to make an Li-ion cell dangerous to charge? In my somewhat limited experience, an over-discharged cell just won't charge at all.

I would think that a brand-new cell might have a voltage below what is expected. Presumably when first assembled, the battery has no charge at all (?)
I think I've had over self-discharged cells that have seemed to charge up fine.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Billw,

Li-Ion cells have metal ions in suspension in the electrolyte. When you over discharge those ions can plate out on the electrodes. With actual metal in the solution you run the risk of penetrating the separator and shorting the cell out while charging. This is what we are trying to avoid by not charging cells that have been over discharged.

Obviously this is more complex than what I have stated here and there are situations where you can "get away" with poor practice. I like to minimize risk and have no problems recycling cells that fall outside of the "normal" range.

Tom

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

As an update, I should mention that I charged the battery at .5A. And it seems to be okay. Runtime is roughly the same as my Keeppower 5200s (maybe a little more even). So it doesn't look like the battery has suffered in that regard. Of course, I'm still not sure how this battery will perform over the long haul. But for now, it appears to be okay.