More Power & Throw for UBH II ?

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I'm looking for an LED option that gives better power and much better throw than my KL4, while keeping a relatively trim profile. I have turned my brain to mush searching thru the forums while simultainously worrying that I've missed that "just right" mod that would satisfy my requirements /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif. Has anybody here looked for something similar? For reference, I consider the KL5 the upper limit for size and for its size, I'd like better brightness and throw. Any ideas would sure be welcomed!

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk to Chop or CM to have your KL4 modded to a LuxIII or 1W LS at 700ma to 1A and you will certainly have more throw while probably a little less total lumens. There are some pretty good reviews and comments on that around here on CPF.

Klaus

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Klaus. I'll look into that. What about the McLux heads? Anything there that would fit the bill?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look no further than McGizmo for some real hot-rodded PR based heads for those hosts (or SF bodies) - those are custom made and Don fits in some of Waynes sandwiches and nice Luxeons - those definetely will out-throw anything in this size of lights - do a search for PR head or PR-T head or check out Dons site for some drools McGizmo - he just posted in B/S/T for some of those heads it seems as well New post - you won´t go wrong with anything from him either.

Klaus

McGizmo

Flashaholic
HotPockets,

Your subject says UBHII. What are you using for batteries?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you want a LED solution and want to keep the size down, a McLux PR-T head with a Lux III and a DownBoy1000 driver should fit the bill. That will give you the most throw in the smallest package, and it has the flexibility to run on either 2 or 3 123 cells, and it will still function (in degraded mode) on 2xAA or 1x123 in a pinch. I think the PR-T head should be enough mass to heatsink this combo, though Don may have some more thoughts on heat management.

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened
Re: More Power & Throw for UBH II ?

McGizmo-I'm using 123a's, so voltage flexability would be nice (3 to 9 volts). I'll use pilas if they fit lengthwise. Tyler-That's sounds very promising! What about a 5watt option? Anything that will fit a surefire C2/3 bezel? Thanks for the ideas!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hotpockets, a well driven Luxeon III will out throw a 5W in the same reflector/ optic, everytime. Since you don't want to go large in diameter, or so it sounds, I think you will be better served with a Lux III. Good luck with your search!

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have heard that the UBH is just a tad to short for two 150s. Thats what I have heard at least. Your milage may vary.

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened
Re: More Power &Throw for UBH II ?

Thank you, everybody, for your ideas. That LuxIII in a PR-T McLux head sounds pretty close to what I'm looking for. Does anyone remember the pics of the surefire E series Turbo-head? I've often wondered how a 5-watt would perform in this head. If you could get decent throw, and safely drive it to 80-100 lumens total output, it would be great balance between output, throw, and size or at least I think it might be. Assuming it didn't melt.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

the only e-series turbohead I know of it the mclux pelican reflector head. The pelican reflector might fit in a C2 as well? I don't remember what a C2 looks like.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

I remember seeing the pics of the E-series Turbo Head. It was awesome. Wish Surefire had put that in production. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The closest thing available is the McClux PR-T. I have the McClux PR and PR-T's with 917 DB's and Luxeon III TVOK's. They are impressive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
oldgradpajack

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The SF E series prototype turbo heads hosted M2 and M3 size reflectors, esentially but set up for the MN03 LA. Had these been made available, they would have served for better throw with the Lux III than the 5W and they weren't nearly as deep as the KL5 and KL6. It's all a mute point anyway; they never happened.............