Recommendation for a small but powerful EDC light

elloco999

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

A little over a year ago (with the help of you beautiful people :)) I bought a Fenix LD12 as a EDC light and have been carrying it with me ever since. It's a great light and I love it but at the time I had a hard time choosing between a AA and a 18650 light. I went with AA because it's a common battery size and easily available and I didn't have any 18650's or a charger at the time. That has now changed and I'm looking into a solar charger so I can keep using 18650's when I don't have access to the power net (power outage or when camping), instead of having to fall back on very expensive CR123's.

So now I've decided to get me a 18650 EDC light that can replace my Fenix LD12. I'll fill out the checklist below but here are the key points:
* small, preferably as close to the dimensions of the LD12 (I know, I know... pushing the envelope here)
* 18650 battery (with the ability to use 2x CR123 if possible)
* multiple modes including a <= 1 lumen mode

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
_X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
_X__Up to $50.
_X__Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

Preferably closer to $50 ;)

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
_X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
_X__TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

_X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
_X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
_X__I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

_X__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
_X__I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
_X__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
_X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

_X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
_X__Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
_X__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
_X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

Not looking for a real thrower. I do want something with a bit of reach but it will be used mostly for semi-close tasks so a bit of flood is required.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
_X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
_X__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
_X__I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
_X__I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
_X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
_X__I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
_X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
_X__IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
_X__Other: I will carry this flashlight on my belt just about always and everywhere I go.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
_X__Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Considering this light will be on my belt all the time and I don't use it all that much, a long stand-by time would be nice. Also the ability to use 2x CR123 so I can carry a couple of those as a backup in case I forgot to charge the 18650 is something I would almost consider a must.

Thanks,
elloco

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
UC35 or PD35 is my recommendation coming from a LD12.
Same or similar path I took.

But check out all the ideas that get posted too.

Have a great one.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd like to suggest that you take a look at
Convoy S7 Cree XM-L T6-4C 523-Lumen 4300-4500K 2-Group 3/5-Mode LED Flashlight

I like convoy lights for their high value for the dollar. For an EDC, I like stainless or titanium, and the S7 is stainless. It is also a little shorter than the S2+, so you'll have to check to see if it will run protected cells or not (I think only unprotected).
Also... it will not run 2*CR123s.

EDIT: I see that Banggood has it with an XML2 option... I would definitely pay the extra couple of dollars for that option.
EDIT: I found some notes I made for myself...: The S5 and S6 are 115 mm long, and the Stainless steel S7 is 116 mm long and those three only take flat top unprotected batteries.

Last edited:

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
I am going to second the Fenix PD35. It is the light that I carry every day. Only thing on your list that it does not offer is SOS. It has a 2 pattern strobe, but not specifically SOS.

Eagle

ven

Flashaholic
I love my pd35............well not literally ..........like it a lot :laughing: (love my quad though)and i would recommend a pd35 to anyone who wanted a good value single 18650 light that is from a good manufacturer ...........imo. Providing they don't want a 1lm or less mode.............i don't :D tn12 does as another option and the mentioned ec32

pd35/ec32vn/quad pd35vn

mdocod

Flashaholic
You can find a small light weight and simple/rugged "5W" solar panels sold under the brand names "kingsolar" and "sunkingdom" on amazon... Here's a picture of the one I picked up recently:

There actually seems to be a wave of "new" generation, inexpensive, USB charger panels available that are pretty decent. The "5W" panel pictured above, after regulation losses, delivers about 3-4W of usable power on the USB output in good sun conditions, which translates to about 20% charge per hour of a high capacity 18650, or the ability to put a pretty decent charge on a smart phone in a few hours. It also seems to have a semi-sophisticated circuit to make decent use of poor conditions as well, which is all pretty darn good for the ~$23 price point. There are a whole slew of "new" inexpensive panels on the market that seem to be impressing reviewers and testers, some legwork is a good idea to sort out the junk. Modern USB charging panels with sunpower brand cells in them seem to be trending really well and there are many to choose from under $50, even up into the ~20W size class.

----------

To charge the 18650's, I would recommend the Xtar MC1-Plus charger for use with a small solar panel; it makes use of variable input power from solar without complaint. Some li-ion chargers won't tolerate the variable power, and will simply stop charging any time the full charge rate can't be achieved.

----------

I have and like the Armytek Partner C2 (warm) quite a bit. Good small 18650 flashlight. If you want to truly stay under 4" length, check out the Zebralight SC62 ad SC600 series.

elloco999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your suggestions guys! Really appreciate it. I will be looking into all of them :)

radiopej

Enlightened
Perhaps the Olight S20. The M18 would meet more requirements but lacks the moonlight. The new M1X striker ticks everything but may just be a fraction too long.

The EagleTac D25C2 series seems like it meets everything, but critically it can't take 18650s. For that, make sure you pick the D25LC2 which CAN take 18650. This may actually be the best best option for you. I prefer the neutral white of XM-L2 T6. The pleasant tint is better for me than the 7% more light. Nichia 219 is a really nice LED but just isn't bright enough or as efficient as I'd like.

elloco999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all your suggestions guys! I've taken my time going through all of them and I have narrowed it down to the following short list:

Nitecore EC21 (E60)
pros: small (only 3mm longer than my LD12), all the modes I need, direct access to max and min modes, red led is a nice bonus
cons: maybe a bit to narrow a beam, can't find if this is a cool or neutral white light (I'd prefer neutral)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...w-NITECORE-EC21-(1x-18650-2x-CR123-2x-RCR123)

Olight S20 (E45)
pros: small (almost identical to my LD12), all the modes I need, direct access to moonlight mode, magnet in tailcap, price
cons: can't find if this is a cool or neutral white light (I'd prefer neutral)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...xCR123A)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-more!

Zebralight SC62 Neutral White ($98)
pros: very small (actually shorter than my LD12!), has both very high and very low modes
cons: I don't think this one takes 2x CR123, a bit expensive, price, can't find a Dutch webshop that sells the warm version, so I'd have to order it from abroad resulting in additional costs
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...650)-review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

Armytek Partner C2 (warm) ($75)
pros: neutral white
cons: relatively large compared to the others, lowest mode not as low as I'd like, can't find a Dutch webshop that sells the warm version, so I'd have to order it from abroad resulting in additional costs

The following lights haven't made the cut:
Acebeam EC32: too large
Thrunite TN12: too large
Fenix UC35/PD35: too large, lowest mode is 14lm
Convoy S7 Cree XM-L T6-4C 523-Lumen 4300-4500K 2-Group 3/5-Mode LED Flashlight: name is too long, specs not very clear, can't find a site that sells it
Nitecore EC11: 1x CR123 instead of 1x 18650/ 2x CR123 (did make me look at the EC21 though :))
Eagletac D25LC2 XM-L2 T6: lowest mode not as low as I'd like

Looks like it will be either the Olight S20 or the Nitecode EC21. Any reasons why I should or should not take either of these lights? Or maybe someone has a suggestion for a light I haven't considered yet?

Thanks,
elloco

elloco999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion, but a custom light is really beyond my budget...

So anybody got some advise on whether I should get a Olight S20 or a Nitecore EC21? Anybody know if either of these light is available in a neutral white color?

I'm leaning towards the Nitecore as my only other 18650 light is also a Nitecore P15/16 (the neutral white version) and I love that light. I'm also thinking about getting a Nitecore EC4 as a replacement for my 4D maglite.

Poppy

Flashaholic
The following lights haven't made the cut:
Acebeam EC32: too large
Thrunite TN12: too large
Fenix UC35/PD35: too large, lowest mode is 14lm

Convoy S7 Cree XM-L T6-4C 523-Lumen 4300-4500K 2-Group 3/5-Mode LED Flashlight: name is too long, specs not very clear, can't find a site that sells it
elloco

PM sent with some links

elloco999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links Poppy! I'm beginning to understand how things work with this Convoy light :)

The output in each mode depends on the chosen emitter. With the XM-L T6-4C that would be somewhere between 450 and 723lm on max. The lowest mode would be 5% of the max = 22.5lm (with 450lm being the max) at it's lowest. That rules it out for me as I really consider my current 3lm to bright for some of the things I use it for.

It is a good light for the money though. At around $25 I could easily buy 2 of these for the price of one of the lights I'm considering now. I might get one anyway, just not as an EDC light but maybe for in the car or something like that.

elloco999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your suggestion!

Looks like a very nice light, that Xeno S3a! But for me it's still to bright with 20lm at the lowest mode.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Am not sure if you have checked the Zebralight SC62. You may want to consider it. Cheok out their website. HTH