Klarus        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: McClicky Switch disassembly

Default How To: McClicky Switch disassembly

Switch disassembly:

remove o-ring and boot:
    remove switch from tail of light with snap ring pliers or similar:

Using something small, a flat head screwdriver here, gently pry these metal tabs away from plastic. Be careful not to pry too much as it only takes a little bit of movement to release these tabs from the switch assembly. This clip is what holds the spring in place. Note the orientation of the spring as it will need to go back in the same way.

This is what you are left with. The last coil on the bottom of the spring that has the nipple sticking out, will need to be on the metal tab at the bottom of the switch in this picture when re-assembling. More on that later.

Next, go around the edges with something small and flat and pry the two pieces in half making sure not to pry too much on one side at a time or the prongs holding it together might break.

Once they are all the way apart, you will be left with this. Be careful as there is a small spring in there you don't want to lose.

From there you can pry the metal ring off of the plastic and you'll be left with this.

Once the large ring is removed the small ring that is attached to a rod that goes into the actual button just slides out. It will have lubricant on the inside, mine seemed to have an excessive amount so I cleaned some of it off.

at this point I cleaned everything with CRC electrical grade contact cleaner.

after that, reassemble in reverse. Note that the large coil on the bottom of the spring with the nipple coming off is on top of the metal contact.

Other side

then put the spring retaining clip back on and crimp it back into place using needle nose pliers.

Put boot and O-ring back on and you should be good to go.

I hope this helps some of you guys out there. Message me if you have any questions.
    Travis
    Last edited by Shandstech; 06-05-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Default Re: How To: McClicky Switch disassembly

Thank you for taking the time to take pictures and explain everything in your post.

Great info ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Excellent write up Sir! Thank you for the info.

Very nice! McClicky's are relatively cheap to replace, but the knowledge of how it's built is invaluable. Thanks for the writeup.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Thanks a lot!

Cool! I would point out that you don't need to remove the tapered contact spring unless you feel there is call to do so. You can get to the inner workings without removing it.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Excellent tutorial!!!!
    Paul Kearsey

Fantastic write up.

eala

Thanks for posting this!

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage Studio View Post
    Thanks for posting this!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

I'll contribute another thanks for posting this. I had imagined that a plastic part or another would break trying to open the switch.
    I was having problems with my mule jumping modes on me, at first replaced the battery which I later tested for charge and was still good to go then I tried the cr123 clicky packs of my two other lights which worked alright so I need not stress about driver issues at that point.
    So next with reference to your post I disassembled my McClicky minus removing the contact spring. There was fine rust all over the tiny plunger spring attached to the ratcheting piece that seats under the button (not visible in your photo tutorial) so I gave it a quick soak and pat down (still a bit rusty), everything else was pretty clean so I reassembled it at that point and it works much better although I might swap it out for the spare I purchased with the light.
    Weird that cleaning a part that doesn't play a role in conducting electricity helped (as in the spring part and not the metal disk it sits behind), maybe the rebuild and general wipe down kicked it back into line somewhat?
    It's quite a new light, little pocket time and never been wet past a quick rinse under fresh water.
    Anyway, thanks for showing us that McClickies are serviceable.

Cheers
    Last edited by F89; 07-16-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Where can I purchase a replacement switch given that Lighthound doesn't exist anymore? Admittedly a very rare event, but occasionally the switch sticks in the on position. Cycling it back on and off again remedies the problem, but I'd rather try another switch. I have already removed the boot to check that it wasn't pinching or anything daft. Many thanks in advance.

P.S. This event is so rare that it's unlikely that the person that sold me this light was aware of it.

Illumn.com. Very efficient and about 7-10 days to UK.
    Lots of Malkoff stuff on there too and only about 10US shipping.
    P
    I'm looking for a Moddoolar Wasp Head and Tube. Please let me know if you can help.http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...99#post5153399

Is this the one? McClicky Switch. Does that one include the drive holes?

This should be a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    This should be a sticky.
    That's funny because sticking is actually the problem I've been experiencing:

Also, where do you buy the switch boots? Mine if fine at the moment, but I'm aware it's a wearing part. I appreciate that the switch is also a wearing part which is why I'm not upset that it is sticking.
    Last edited by MikeSalt; 02-13-2016 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSalt View Post
    Is this the one? McClicky Switch. Does that one include the drive holes?

That is the one.
    It's the baic switch.
    If you want to fit it into a Surefire tail, you need a brass adaptor ring (also on Illumn) they make the rings for P series lights.
    Picture from Oveready site.

But if you're replacing an existing McClicky, like in a Malkoff it's a straight swap with the basic switch.
    P
    I'm looking for a Moddoolar Wasp Head and Tube. Please let me know if you can help.http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...99#post5153399

Much obliged Peter, I'll get a few ordered.

Btronics has blue ones
    http://www.3tronics.co.uk/#!product-...f-65ddf3a8c743
    You could check with James at Btronics if they're the size you need, he's super helpful and may have a different size or colour.
    Illumn also supply them as part of their McClicky kit although they seem to be on backorder.
    Craig at Illumn may be able to help sort you out.
    support+id8639@illuminationsupply.zendesk.com
    Also Oveready have them although the shipping makes it pointless although you could buy the McClicky as well from them if they do it without the ring. Give Overready an Email they're showing McClicky parts out of stock, but they're showing the switches and rings, I'm sure they'd sort it for you.
    I've got an order coming in from OR shortly when they've done their last BoreBatch. I could add some boots for you if you want and post them on. Due late this month.

Or Malkoff, I'm sure they'd help and you may be able to persuade them to put them in a Jiffy for less postage.
    Hope that helps, PM me if you want me to order.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 02-13-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Can get them from Jason too:
    http://darksucks.com/component_boots.html

eala

Does the McClicky Switch need running in? I've put a brand new assembly into my Haiku, and it still occasionally sticks as shown in my video? I've even managed to get it to stick with no boot in place to eliminate that as the cause.

Does the McClicky Switch need running in? I've put a brand new assembly into my Haiku, and it still occasionally sticks as shown in my video? I've even managed to get it to stick with no boot in place to eliminate that as the cause.
    Hi Mike, I do believe the switches operate better after a break in but it should not be necessary. There is some grease used in these and I believe at times perhaps more grease than necessary and I would also guess that temperature can effect the performance with perhaps cold weather causing the grease to be thicker and perhaps sticky?
    Last edited by McGizmo; 05-08-2016 at 12:46 PM.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Curious if you got this working properly?

Quote Originally Posted by MaynardJamesKeenan View Post
    Curious if you got this working properly?
    I've put a third switch in, and that seems to be behaving itself so far. Interesting point about the grease Don, it is rather cold here in the UK at the moment. I may take apart one of my switches as per this guide, clean thoroughly and grease very lightly, possibly with a lighter grease more suited to our climate. Would StClaire Nano-Oil be a better candidate for lubrication here in the UK?
    Last edited by MikeSalt; 02-24-2016 at 05:50 AM.

Sure enough, I stripped my original switch as per this guide and it was a bit too generously greased. It's great that these can be field stripped so easily.

Any chance we can get the picture album uploaded onto imgur? Would like to disassemble a mcclicky switch but not sure how to go about doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dem0nDayz View Post
    Any chance we can get the picture album uploaded onto imgur? Would like to disassemble a mcclicky switch but not sure how to go about doing it.
    Photobucket should burn in hell..

Ditto that..
    I'm not sure the owner of the art can even get access to his files without paying.
    Thanks
    X_Marine/BillyD..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

"It's not rocket surgery"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast