Halogen shop light

grayrock

Newly Enlightened
Any info on these? I have one that uses the double ended halogen bulb covered by a slab of glass on each end. It lights up my shop pretty well. Problem is the glass cover broke about 6-8 months ago on one end. I blamed the kids for doing something to it. Yesterday, the 2nd glass spontaneously shattered and no one was around. I was outside my work area and the light was off. I heard a noise and thought a stack of my tools had fallen over. I went in to see what it was and saw the small cubes of "safety(?)" glass all over the place. Is this why I can not find a similar light on-line at HomeDepot? Are they no longer available? Should I stop using it?

broadgage

Enlightened
A halogen light fitting that is intended to be used with an outer cover glass over the bulb should not be used without this cover glass.
The ultraviolet output of a bare halogen lamp can be dangerous and there is also the small but real risk of the glass of the bulb shattering.

In theory a replacement cover glass should be available from the suppliers.
In practice it is probably as cheap to buy a new fixture, AFAIK they are still available.

If the fixture gets much use then it might be worth considering something more efficient in order to reduce electricity bills.

grayrock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. All I have seen are fluorescent and spendy LED replacement fixtures. Mine has twin 300 W bulbs. Can I get the same output with something else?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
A diy LED lamp is what I'd do. Could even use that fixture.
Would need about 6000lm for each halogen. 4 XML2s would do it if maxed. Otherwise there's tons of LEDs avail for these kinds of projects. Find 2 emmiters that thro 6k lms, in a color temp you like, get an appropriate driver and mountings to keep em cool.

Last edited:

CoveAxe

Enlightened
Mine has twin 300 W bulbs. Can I get the same output with something else?

You're stuck with halogen if you need the same light output. There aren't any LED work lights that I know of that can keep the LEDs cool enough to replace something like this.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
75-100 Watt chipset with good heatsinking, slightly underdriven would/should be fine. Only about $30/ea, driver incl.
make sure to use good thermal paste to insure conduction from LED to frame. Mine worked fine for 3 yrs till I lost it in a fire. (Unrelated to the light itself)