1 AAA or AA, starts in lowest mode, forward clicky tail switch, <1 Lumen mode

awiseguyay

Newly Enlightened
Right now I'm EDCing a Thrunite Ti. Love the size and weight but not so much the head twisting.
Hopefully you guys can help find a new light.

1) single AAA preferred but single AA is cool too.
2) ability to start in the lowest mode (doesn't matter if it's by default or last-use-memory)
3) forward clicky tail switch
4) lowest mode is less than 1 Lumen
5) tail switch does everything (so no twisting or side button to change modes)
6) pocket clip or keyring hole
7) less than $50 USD

#1-3 are kind of a must
#4-5 would just rock my world but not necessarily a deal breaker if not there
#6-7 would be cool if possible

Don't care about max output since like 30 Lumens is more than enough for my needs.
Hopefully such a flashlight exists... any suggestions?

Amelia

Enlightened
The forward clicky requirement makes it tough. Requiring that everything be controlled by the tail switch makes it almost impossible... in fact, I'm not aware of any light that meets your requirements. The SWM V11R and Nitecore SRT3 come close, but they are large-ish and have magnetic ring for brightness control. The L3 Illumination L11C meets all your needs, but it's a reverse clicky. The Thrunite Archer and T10 have memory, so no good. EagleTac D25A is perfect sized, but is reverse clicky and head changes modes. Some of the cheap chinese lights come very close to your needs, but they're almost all reverse clicky. In fact, just about every light you'll find that controls all modes from the tailswitch is a reverse clicky, and there's a reason for that. Mode switching after the light is on.

I'll let others chime in - your requirements make it really tough.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MDC AA and new Quark Clicks (w/optional AA tube) both meet the requirements although a bit over budget ($100 and ~$70, respectively) not the smallest.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: 1 AAA or AA, starts in lowest mode, forward clicky tail switch, &lt;1 Lumen mode

Although some reviews do call it a "clicky" switch, yes, the LF2XT has a soft-press (forward actuated) electronic switch.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: 1 AAA or AA, starts in lowest mode, forward clicky tail switch, &lt;1 Lumen mode

Malkoff MDC AA ....

I hadn't realized that the Malkoff AA MDC "LL" mode was sublumen ... good call @reppans :)

EDIT ... and it has a "real" forward clicky, too :D

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hadn't realized that the Malkoff AA MDC "LL" mode was sublumen ... good call @reppans :)

Well, truth be told, there's more sample variation risk with Gene's light - I own two ;)

awiseguyay

Newly Enlightened
You guys are awesome.

The SWM V11R and Nitecore SRT3 come close, but they are large-ish and have magnetic ring for brightness control.

Thanks for turning me on to the Nitecore SRT3. A flashlight with a dimmer switch seems pretty damn cool so I wouldn't mind head twisting to gain that function.

Malkoff MDC AA and new Quark Clicks (w/optional AA tube) both meet the requirements although a bit over budget ($100 and ~$70, respectively) not the smallest.

The Quark Click seems like exactly what I'm looking for in terms of function.
Which would you suggest between the Quark QK2A and QK2A-X?
I would need to buy the A Series Body accessory to run it single AA, right?
$47 for the flashlight
+$10 for the custom programming to get the moonlight mode
+$20 for the A Series Body accessory so that it'll be single AA
Not sure about S&H and tax.

So right now it's between the Nitecore SRT3 Defender and the Quark QK2A. Price is comparable. I thought I wouldn't like a mode-twisty but having the infinite brightness control is tempting.
Which would you guys suggest between the two?
Any opinions on build quality, durability, carryability, ease of use, ergos, etc between the two?

Amelia

Enlightened
You guys are awesome.

Thanks for turning me on to the Nitecore SRT3. A flashlight with a dimmer switch seems pretty damn cool so I wouldn't mind head twisting to gain that function.

The Quark Click seems like exactly what I'm looking for in terms of function.
Which would you suggest between the Quark QK2A and QK2A-X?
I would need to buy the A Series Body accessory to run it single AA, right?
$47 for the flashlight
+$10 for the custom programming to get the moonlight mode
+$20 for the A Series Body accessory so that it'll be single AA
Not sure about S&H and tax.

So right now it's between the Nitecore SRT3 Defender and the Quark QK2A. Price is comparable. I thought I wouldn't like a mode-twisty but having the infinite brightness control is tempting.
Which would you guys suggest between the two?
Any opinions on build quality, durability, carryability, ease of use, ergos, etc between the two?

If you are seriously considering an infinitely variable light, look into the Sunwayman V11R - it is smaller in size than the Nitecore SRT3, and is also available in a Neutral White emitter version with a really nice tint. It is my light of choice for EDC (everyday carry) and I use it more than any other light I own. I have a Nitecore SRT3 as well, and it has some very nice features... secondary red emitter, higher high, lower low, blinky modes, etc. However - it is a HUGE light size-wise, even with a CR123 battery, I have 18650 cell lights that are smaller and lighter! The Nitecore SRT3 has some nice features, but the Sunwayman is a super high quality light that is smaller, lighter, and (in my opinion) of a better class and quality. I've been looking for what seems like forever trying to find a better EDC light, so far with no better contenders.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 AAA or AA, starts in lowest mode, forward clicky tail switch, &lt;1 Lumen mode

I would put 47s ahead of NC, and also a simple mechanical clicky ahead of magnetic rings, in terms of reliability. Also 47s is US-based/HQ'd with a great 10-yr warranty and customer service that'll rival SF, Malkoff and HDS, should something go wrong. It's purely personal preference, but I like the -X versions for the flood - I use my lights mostly at close and medium distances. BTW, don't forget the CPF disc of ~$10, shipping is free in the US, and no tax unless NC resident.

(I like the idea of magnetic rings, but they do consume power and I'm an efficiency/runtime nut.)

tubed

Enlightened

Just wanted to throw out there the Lumapower LM21.
Takes AAA, rear clicky that (i think) is a forward clicky....(you can get instant on by half-pressing).
3 levels - low is 10 lumens.
doesn't hit all your boxes but hits several.
I have one and love it

Prepped

Enlightened

I know this thread is a few months old, but I figure I'd post on here in case anyone were to come across it.
The new Thrunite Ti5 pretty much satisfies all of your requirements, and comes on in the lowest mode (0.5 lumens)
Or, the Ti4 (2 x AAA) also works!