Nitecore MH20: XM-L2 (U2),micro-usb, 1x18650, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
After the Tiny Monster series and the compact EA11 and EC11 Nitecore launches again a real compact one: the new MH20 should be one of the most compact 18650-lights available. Because it is usb-rechargeable you should never run out of power. Also interesting at this light: the new, improved interface. Let's have a closer look and compare this light to some competitors!

MH20, one of the most compact lights in its class
2cegoy.jpg

28r0e1d.jpg

powered by XM-L2(U2) LED
6jotuq.jpg

a 18650 powered light with a dimension of about 10 centimeters
2yn4i2b.jpg

So let's start, as usual, with the manufacturer specs:

Features:

· The smallest, lightest 1x18650 USB rechargeable flashlight
· Utilizes a CREE XM-L2 U2 LED
· Max output of up to 1000 lumens
· Integrated "Precision Digital Optics Technology" provides extreme reflector performance
· Boasts a peak beam intensity of 12,500 cd and a throw distance of up to 220 meters
· Features advanced temperature regulation (ATR) technology
· Innovative single button 2-stage switch accesses multiple functions and modes
· Integrated power indicator notifies battery voltage (accurate to 0.1V)
· Intelligent charging module with a micro USB port charges Li-ion battery rapidly
· High efficiency constant current circuit enables maximum runtime of 235 hours
· Direct access to ultra-low and turbo output
· Detachable two-way anti-rolling clip
· Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
· Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy
· HAIII military grade hard-anodized
· Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (2 meters submersible)
· Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
· Tail stand capability

Dimensions:

· Length: 4.13" / 105mm
· Head diameter: 1.25" / 31.8mm
· Tail diameter: 1" / 25.4mm
· Weight: 3.08oz / 87.3gram (without battery)

And the output specs:
33yrhqx.jpg

Unboxing:

A small box for a 18500-light! Again, a colorful, neat box around the MH20. Most of the specs and contents are mentioned on it. Inside, we find almost everything that's needed, except a battery. Personally, I can't believe that a usb-rechargeable is delivered without a cell. (So far I know now, most dealers deliver this light including a cell.) For the rest, a very complete package. Please scroll down for more details and contents!

as usual, the colorful, neat box in Nitecore house-style
mmwgg3.jpg

contents the light, manual, warranty card, spare o-ring and usb cover, lanyard, holster and clip
rll3lf.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: a rather big head and tiny tube! Really compact for a 18650-light! But it is well balanced and easy to handle with. It has a smooth, very clean reflector and lens and also a perfect centered led. Good grip, a sturdy. deep clip and well-greased threads. The well-fitting usb cover protects the micro-usb port against dust and water. Anodizing could be little better: I found some spots at my sample. The lanyard's hole is to small: a had to fix the strap by using a needle…
Charging of the light is easy: Simply plug the micro-usb cable into a usb port, that's all. All chargers that support micro-usb can be used. The power indicator in the switch will tell you about the progress: Blinking once per 3 seconds while charging, constant on when full, or rapidly blinking when there's something wrong. At first, I had to get used by the shape of this light, because the head seems (to) big. But after using it some weeks, I really like it! Advantage of the bigger head is that the MH20 will not get that hot after a few minutes. Good job here Nitecore! Please scroll down for more impressions, told by pictures…

this Multitask member
35nafq1.jpg

has good looks and proportions
34gsww9.jpg

about finger-length…
f2lac9.jpg

compact "pocket-rocket"
2d5smt.jpg

almost everywhere to charge
14x0zzp.jpg

voltage and power indicator; also a location beacon
6h73mx.jpg

smooth, clean reflector, LED perfect centered
1z53j48.jpg

a lot of output by a little light
2n67pr6.jpg

the most important accessories
30xagt5.jpg

deep cooling-fins, light can run longer time at turbo-mode
2wrm6ud.jpg

stable tailstand
2e22xjb.jpg

good machining
rh7nty.jpg

and well-greased
28qyxrk.jpg

a look inside
fkwetx.jpg

the cover can be turned 360 degrees
29cknqg.jpg

and seals perfectly (not as shown at this picture)
2qxlrg9.jpg

a hard job to insert the lanyard: I almost needed a needle
:)
2iayjk0.jpg

in the holster
idbv5s.jpg

waterproof to IPX-8, so a rain shower is no problem
5d8msn.jpg

the long clip prevents against loss
v5wv43.jpg

together with 1000-lumen-output MultiTask brothers.
9tiixt.jpg

a "three-way" and and "two-way" shutter button
24fjm08.jpg

User interface:

Real innovative: Nitecore shows what's possible with only one button! The switch operates like a camera shutter. Earlier, Nitecore used this idea on the TM06. But on the MH20, they have improved this interface. Nitecore is talking about a 2 way shutter, but it has three: Slight/Half press (no click), Normal click and Deep(er) press. I can tell you this works fine! Use a normal click for on/off. Choose your desired level by half pressing, starting with lower up to turbo mode. Second (silent) option for on is by half-pressing the button: this is meant for instant Lower, but when activated, you can simple cycle through the other modes too. Really like this silent mode! Only for off you need one "click". A deep press from off will give instant turbo, deep press when on will bring into the special modes, starting with strobe. Cycle through the special modes by half pressing the button. Deep press again to leave special mode. Instant turbo works also with the light on, half press and hold the button to activate. Not surprising that this light hasn't momentary-on. By deep pressing the button the switch under the cover feels like "piercing" you finger or thumb, because it is sharp.

Modes:

Like most Nitecores, this light has 5 normal and 3 special modes: Lower > Low > Medium > High > Turbo. The special modes are: Strobe > Location Beacon > SOS. You have direct access to Low and Turbo from off. Also instant Turbo when the light is on. Mode spacing is well done, not that big lumen jumps between the modes.

ATR:

The MH20 has advanced temperature regulation to avoid the light will be overheated. When it gets hot, light will (dynamically) increase output. Time of increasing depends on the actual conditons. It's no problem to use this light longer time at turbo mode, it will not get, like some tiny lights, very hot in a few minutes.

Size comparison:

To show the dimensions, I've compared the MH20 with his MH12 brother and also with the Klarus RS11 and the Sunwayman C25C Ti.

CR123A, 18650, Nitecore MH20, Sunwayman C25C Ti, Nitecore MH12 and Klarus RS11
313lu9y.jpg

Nitecore MH20, Sunwayman C25C Ti, Nitecore MH12 and Klarus RS11
11rvtw4.jpg

reverse…
29awoow.jpg

a zoom-in to the heads
f9f3x2.jpg

and the tails
ay0bo6.jpg

Tint:

The MH20 has a bit warmer tint than most XM-L2(U2) lights, with a slight yellow-/greenish tint. I've compared the tint to the Olight ST25 Baton.

hsuteq.jpg

Beamprofile:

For its size the light has a rather big reflector. It's a smooth one, so a "throwy" light here. Suited for a lot of outdoor situations, for indoor (for example bed reading) I can recommend an (optional) diffusor. Maybe Nitecore can add a real firefly mode (0,5 lumens or less) in future. For the rest, a nice profile without spots or rings. No PWM at any mode, good point!

Beamshots:

The light projected on a white wall. Distance to the wall about 0,75 meter.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2zgc84j.jpg

r6x06f.jpg

6hhvuw.jpg

1496qmv.jpg

20pa9vd.jpg

animation picture
2u7wri8.jpg

Going outside now…..At first, the five output modes. After that, an animated picture. Finally a shootout against the Klarus RS11, the Nitecore MH12 and the Sunwayman C25C Ti, also powered by a single 18650 cell.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
2envmhl.jpg

11si0rr.jpg

2vwwuv5.jpg

2jg2f7r.jpg

2sboqrd.jpg

animation
257dqau.jpg

LOCATION 2:

MH20 against Klarus RS11
23jgw2f.jpg

a shootout against Nitecore MH12 brother
25hd2yc.jpg

the MH20 compared to the Sunwayman C25C Ti
33wo6bo.jpg

Conclusion:

For me, the MH20 is one of my favorite single 18650-lights. The good built quality, easy interface and possibility to charge everywhere are good points here. I like the silent operation too. It has a bit throwy, but nice beam, this makes the MH20 a good search- and outdoor light, but for camping I can recommend a diffusor. The MH20 has a warmer tint than the MH12, what a lot of people will prefer. To make this an ideal light for me, I'd like to see it with a tailswitch, that gives momentary too. And I would like that the sidebutton could be used for stepping up and down through the modes, like the TM06. One thing I'm sure of: This one I'll carry a lot of times!

Nitecore MH20 provided for review

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore MH20: XM-L2 (U2),micro-usb, 1x18500, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, comp

Awesome review, good read.

Thank you very much.

I want it, sigh..got me all jammed up.

Any idea how long it takes to step down?
Maybe I missed that sorry.

Have a great day.

cp2315

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore MH20: XM-L2 (U2),micro-usb, 1x18500, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, comp

Thanks for the nice review. Very informative. Glad to hear that you like the UI. I was not sure about that but ordered anyway. Mine is coming in a couple of days hopefully.

kj75

Enlightened

Awesome review, good read.

Any idea how long it takes to step down?

Hard to say...because of the ATR it increases dynamically its output. So, I think there's no full step down.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

its like a throw version of the ZL SC600 MkII L2! Just ordered the MH20 will have on Monday! Would still like to see some output testing to see how close it actually is to manufacturer spec. Nitecore has been rolling along MUCH better with their lumen claims lately so Im gonna say the MH20 actually puts out 950-960 lumens on turbo. Like the USB charging feature but with my new Xtar VC4 charger Ill never use it. Got a fairly new Olight 3400mah cell waiting for the MH20 to arrive. All lights that come with a clip should come with a deep carry clip! Great review you sold me

LeafSamurai

Enlightened

One of the best reviews I have read on CPF so far. Am very keen on this light now based on your review. Will order it very soon, not yet, as I have two other lights coming as well :)

djburkes

Enlightened

Excellent review...have you "played" with the EC4 yet?

kj75

Enlightened

Thank you all guys for your kind words :)

have you "played" with the EC4 yet?

Not yet, but will come :thumbsup:

light36

Newly Enlightened

Great review , got mine a week ago and very impressed !!

markr6

Flashaholic

its like a throw version of the ZL SC600 MkII L2! Just ordered the MH20 will have on Monday! Would still like to see some output testing to see how close it actually is to manufacturer spec. Nitecore has been rolling along MUCH better with their lumen claims lately so Im gonna say the MH20 actually puts out 950-960 lumens on turbo. Like the USB charging feature but with my new Xtar VC4 charger Ill never use it. Got a fairly new Olight 3400mah cell waiting for the MH20 to arrive. All lights that come with a clip should come with a deep carry clip! Great review you sold me

I wouldn't quite call it a better thrower. More of a concentrated hot spot, but not something I noticed at larger distances. Here is a comparison at a shorter distance. Just more blue/purple :(

MH20
MH20_beam.jpg

SC600w II L2
SC600_beam.jpg

MH20
MH20beam.jpg

SC600w II L2
SC600beam.jpg

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got the MH20 today! I LOVE this thing! It is my new EDC. Takes much longer to get hot vs the P12. I appreciate the above shots it really shows the difference in tint! Using my large back yard as a gauge to my eyes the MH20 totally outthrows the ZL that and the MH20 has a reflector twice as large. Still love my ZL for its blinding wall of close range light though

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

just took both lights out back again and WOW these things are bright! I dont see much of a drop off in output from turbo on either light. MH20 has a very nice defined hot spot. Nitecore has really impressed me with this one! Also just got the Olight M3X Javelot today so Im having a flashaholic blast tonight! Will try for beam shots later

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast

just took both lights out back again and WOW these things are bright! I dont see much of a drop off in output from turbo on either light. MH20 has a very nice defined hot spot. Nitecore has really impressed me with this one! Also just got the Olight M3X Javelot today so Im having a flashaholic blast tonight! Will try for beam shots later
Wow, nice haul CC.
When you do your pictures, can you include your PD35 for comparison, even if just roughly.
MH20 is appealing.
Have a great day.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

sure! Am rounding up some bungee cords at HD tomorrow so I can attach the lights to one of my tripods. First shots will be totally experimental and will likely blow...thankfully I have really nice neighbors and a tall fence lol. Am loving the MH20 more each day. The deep carry clip is a god send Idk why the rest of the field doesnt at least offer a deep carry clip for their 1x18650 lights etc. Love this light its half the size of my P12 and just blows it away

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

PD35
IMG_0039_zpsvpcxino4.jpg

MH20
IMG_0040_zpskoa8hkz2.jpg

M3X
IMG_0041_zpsvhsgllw7.jpg

M3X
IMG_0042_zpsrf2ldi90.jpg

M3X
IMG_0044_zpszzts0wwb.jpg

Albert56

Newly Enlightened

Nice review. I'm considering this one, but I've already spent my current budget on a 4Sevens MMU 3XR instead.

BTW - Can anyone please tell me how to start a new post on this forum? I forgot and it seems like there's no simple, straight forward way (i.e. a one click dialogue box on the pages). Even the "instructions" are of no help as far as I can see.

x

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

to post simply first log in then at the top left of any forum thread list there will be a "start new thread" box. Click it and go from there

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

forgot to turn off the light on my back porch for those beam shots. Will make sure to turn them off for tonights MH20 beam shots. An amazing little light!