LOL look at this motorcycle "LED bulb"

poiihy

Enlightened
Found this
http://is.gd/rnhmyE (Copy and paste into address bar)
It's an "LED bulb" for a motorcycle but it's more like a flashlight head :laughing:

image.jpg

Note: If you are actually considering buying this, do not buy it, because it is illegal and unsafe and it may result in death.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful that you don't drive the less-than-educated to eBay so they can buy this thing for their motorcycle because they think it's "just what they need". They'll ignore the LOL and go right to your "found this" instead. Because, you know, people.

(I can imagine some motorcycle forum with a whole thread singing the praises of this junk. It doesn't take much imagination!)

poiihy

Enlightened
Hey what's with the mods editing ebay links and then they are broken?

I fixed it by using a URL shortener.

Last edited:

code2006

Newly Enlightened
Interesting
Well i have a honda rvf400 and it has the std japan 35w headlight (i think) which is not bright enuf
You cant upgrade it to the uk standard as it will melt the switch ( uk is 55w i think lol)
So an led light could be the answer for a lot of the older jap import bikes

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
i have a honda rvf400 and it has the std japan 35w headlight (i think) which is not bright enuf
You cant upgrade it to the uk standard as it will melt the switch ( uk is 55w i think lol)

This "Japan standard" versus "UK standard" you have in mind doesn't actually exist. There are many different bulbs approved for motorcycle headlamp use in both Japan and the UK, and there's a lot of overlap between the group of bulbs approved in Japan and the group of bulbs approved in the UK. Both groups include at least one 35w bulb.

But there is no LED bulb that safely and effectively (and legally) retrofits in place of a filament headlamp bulb.

code2006

Newly Enlightened
This "Japan standard" versus "UK standard" you have in mind doesn't actually exist. There are many different bulbs approved for motorcycle headlamp use in both Japan and the UK, and there's a lot of overlap between the group of bulbs approved in Japan and the group of bulbs approved in the UK. Both groups include at least one 35w bulb.

But there is no LED bulb that safely and effectively (and legally) retrofits in place of a filament headlamp bulb.

What bulbs r all the new cars like bmw and audi use?
I thought they were led lol
My prob is the max watt bulb my bike can handle is 35w no more otherwise the switch would melt
And i dont think i would find a 35w headlight bulb that will be as powerful as a normal uk headlight bulb
Obv it must be legal to use the 35w here in the uk but its not bright enuf :(

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
What bulbs r all the new cars like bmw and audi use?

It doesn't really matter...none of them will fit your motorcycle.

I thought they were led lol

Some new cars do have LED headlamps, but they are not "LED bulbs" installed in ordinary headlamps. They are headlamp assemblies designed with built-in LEDs that cannot be removed and replaced like a bulb in a halogen headlamp.

its not bright enuf :(

You could install a headlamp housing to accept a standard-fit 7" or 5.75" round headlamp. There are LED headlamps to fit that kind of housing that meet UK regulations, draw less current than a 35w halogen bulb, and put out a LOT more light, but they are expensive. There is no cheap solution to your problem, and there is no bulb other than the specified 35w filament bulb that can safely, effectively, or legally be used in your existing headlamp.

PhillyRube

Enlightened
Interesting
Well i have a honda rvf400 and it has the std japan 35w headlight (i think) which is not bright enuf

Eastern Beaver has a wiring harness you can install, that connects to the battery via a relay. OEM wiring controls the relay (low amps) and pwer goes direct to the headlight (hi amps). I put them in a Honda ST1300 and a 2 Harleys I have owned, with visibly brighter bulbs, upgraded to 55/65w H4.

code2006

Newly Enlightened
Eastern Beaver has a wiring harness you can install, that connects to the battery via a relay. OEM wiring controls the relay (low amps) and pwer goes direct to the headlight (hi amps). I put them in a Honda ST1300 and a 2 Harleys I have owned, with visibly brighter bulbs, upgraded to 55/65w H4.

Cool thanks
Is eastern beaver a member here?

poiihy

Enlightened
See, the idea with this "bulb" is that, if you can't use LED bulbs in halogen reflectors, it has it's own reflector!!! :crackup: Clever Chinese!

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I saw a motorcycle yesterday on the way to work with two very bright LED arrays on the rear of the bike at 45 degree angles ---- so they could be seen well from both the back and the side.
If they were red I wouldn't have commented. If they were amber I'd let it slide. But they were green. Traffic light green.

These things only exist because there is a market for them. Such a pity.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
More's the pity that there's only a market for them because very little is done to stop their sale. But that gets into politics.

And less is done to educate the public. If I hadn't found this forum, I wouldn't have known better, and I'm an engineer and at least a little bit of a lighting professional (that means I've been paid for work on lighting, not that I'm any kind of educated or expert).

Sales would probably plummet if people knew how unsafe they were. Well, maybe they'd see a noticeable drop anyway.

Franco

Newly Enlightened
If I hadn't found this forum, I wouldn't have known better...

Very similar story here. Once provided with some evidence or opposing viewpoints, however; you and I were open to some re-education. There are many people that, quite sadly, refuse to listen or care.

I've got a dockhand where I work that shows up to work in a vehicle outfitted with HIDs, LED rings in the headlight housings that can change colors (yup, red and blue included), crap aftermarket LED tail light housings (tinted), and lights under the truck that also change colors. I put a good amount of time and effort into trying to inform this guy, without coming across as talking down to him, about the insanity of his lighting choices. One day, to my relief, he finally seemed to understand that he was actually seeing less well than before, and that what he was doing was illegal. Do you know what he did? Shrugged his shoulders.

People who are willing to know better usually end up doing so. In this particular case (vehicle lighting), I'd rather see better enforcement than more education.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
A more accurate subject for this thread would be 'attach high power flashlight to front of motorcycle?'.