Anyone with experience with lithium thionyl chloride batteries?

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I'm generally not into primaries these days but was wondering if anyone had experience with these. It's said they have the highest energy density of any lithium ion battery and are offered in high capacity, high drain, and high temperature types. The powerstream.com website has them here:

http://www.powerstream.com/lip.htm

ginbot86

Newly Enlightened
Lithium-thionyl chloride (Li-SOCl2) batteries are mainly used for low-current applications like memory backup and remote outdoor weather systems (and they're not lithium-ion batteries), and not high-drain applications like flashlights.

PowerStream's catalog of high-current Li-SOCL2 batteries show a maximum current capability of 1000 mA continuous/1500 mA pulse for an AA size, and at a mere 600 mA load you will only get 1300 mAh of capacity.

Additionally, Li-SOCl2 batteries are 3.6 volts/cell, as opposed to 1.8 volts/cell for a fresh Li-FeS2 (lithium-iron disulfide, used in Energizer AA lithium).

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Thanks, ginbot, that's very helpful.

I note you're in Calgary. Nice city. I've done the Icefield Parkway several times over the years from Calgary. Spectacular as I'm sure you well know.

Rereading your post I noticed you mentioned lithium iron disulfide is used in the Energizer AA's. Does that mean other primaries (from Panasonic, Duracell, etc.) use something different?

Last edited:

ginbot86

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Capolini! And Magellan, I love Calgary with all my heart. If only transit wasn't quite as spotty...

Anyway, back on topic...
Lithium-iron disulfide is the most common (if not the only) chemistry for 1.5V AA/AAA lithium primaries, so it's used in Duracell Ultra Lithium as well. I couldn't find much information on Panasonic 1.5V AA batteries apart from some pictures (apparently they're sold in Japan), but I think they will also be lithium-iron disulfide.

Wikipedia has a nice table of different lithium battery chemistries, and it's quite an interesting read (in my opinion at least :naughty:).

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Calvary is a very cool city. And I think it's only gotten better since I first visited in the mid-90s 20 years ago.

In fact I'm planning another drive of the Icefield Parkway next summer, starting in Calgary of course.

Back on topic...thanks again for the info, I'll check out that Wikipedia article.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calvary is a very cool city. And I think it's only gotten better since I first visited in the mid-90s 20 years ago.

In fact I'm planning another drive of the Icefield Parkway next summer, starting in Calgary of course.

Back on topic...thanks again for the info, I'll check out that Wikipedia article.
They've cleaned it up pretty good since the floods.
Kudos to Calgary, from an Edmontonian.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Dang, they had floods, just like Boulder, CO? But Calgary is on a plain. Is it near a river?

Back on topic...I read the Wiki article. Very interesting to learn about all the different chemistries. I'd read about some but not all. Some seem very exotic like vanadium pentoxide.

But there was one thing that struck me, early in the list lithium manganese chemistry is mentioned and is said to be 80% of the consumer market, and is said to be good for low drain applications. This isn't consistent with what I know. Lithium cobalt is just listed way down near the bottom, and doesn't even get a description. Did they maybe switch lithium cobalt with lithium manganese? On the other hand the voltage cited for lithium manganese is correct. I'd like to hear what the experts think.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, they had floods, just like Boulder, CO? But Calgary is on a plain. Is it near a river?

Back on topic...I read the Wiki article. Very interesting to learn about all the different chemistries. I'd read about some but not all. Some seem very exotic like vanadium pentoxide.

But there was one thing that struck me, early in the list lithium manganese chemistry is mentioned and is said to be 80% of the consumer market, and is said to be good for low drain applications. This isn't consistent with what I know. Lithium cobalt is just listed way down near the bottom, and doesn't even get a description. Did they maybe switch lithium cobalt with lithium manganese? On the other hand the voltage cited for lithium manganese is correct. I'd like to hear what the experts think.
Yeah sorry for being OT. On foothills, next to mountains.
Two rivers merge near Calgary, plus close to mountain run off in spring. Old man river an Bow iirc. Lived there as a infant.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Oh, right. The Canadian Rockies are only an hour's drive away. How could I forget that? :) Plus the two rivers. Yikes.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Tadiran has 14500 li-ion rechargeable, 5000 cycles, 5amp current (if not mistaken), but only 350mah capacity.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Thanks, very interesting. It sounds like this chemistry isn't really intended for the typical consumer market. But 5 amps from an AA size battery sounds pretty beefy to me. Wonder what the typical use would be?

I found this at one website but it is 2400 mAh:

http://www.alliedelec.com/tadiran-tl-5903-s/70102826/

This one seems like more of a typical consumer battery.

Last edited: