Night light circuit?

unclearty

Enlightened
Want to build a simple one or two cell ...single LED circuit that would sit on a shelf in a bathroom...far away from any outlet....to provide very low level light for late night bathroom visits. I've built a few Joule Thiefs, but they seem to eat thru AA batteries pretty quickly. I could do with even lower lumens. Anyone have a simple circuit?

broadgage

Enlightened
Does it have to be a white light ? if not then use two alkaline cells and the brightest amber or yellow LED that you can get together with a series resistance to limit the current to say 1ma. Provided that a good bright LED is used, then 1ma is enough for a night light.
D cells will give a run time of a couple of years 24/7. AA cells about 100 days.

If you want a white light, then 3 cells are needed and a white LED.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the joule thief front, I've got an almost endless supply of used AA batteries powering them but I change batteries maybe every 3 days. None of the batteries are new and the brightness is very low but that's all I need. Want to extend the run? Try using 2xAA in parallel if you can match pairs.

The other joule thief is the zetex 380 driver and the inductor of your choice. Use 2xAA for some real nice performance. One of our forum members sells some boards with this, and a kit too.

I've picked up a similar driver from a $1 AAA light. Unknown Chinese copy of the zetex but 2xAA works like the zetex.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the joule thief front, I've got an almost endless supply of used AA batteries powering them but I change batteries maybe every 3 days. None of the batteries are new and the brightness is very low but that's all I need. Want to extend the run? Try using 2xAA in parallel if you can match pairs.

The other joule thief is the zetex 380 driver and the inductor of your choice. Use 2xAA for some real nice performance. One of our forum members sells some boards with this, and a kit too.

I've picked up a similar driver from a $1 AAA light. Unknown Chinese copy of the zetex but 2xAA works like the zetex.

If you change batteries every three days, why aren't you using rechargables?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite circuit for draining batteries is this simple two transistor boost. When made with quality components, it will last several days on a nearly depleted AA cell. Another great little circuit is the Diodes ZXLD381. You can change the current to the LED by using a different value inductor.

Below are some images of some circuits that I have built using SMT components. This may give you some ideas of how to mount the circuit to your battery.

Completed circuit board for the battery drainer.
100_0807.jpg

Two transistor circuit, OM4558 IC circuit and two transistor boost with CREE XP-E
endAugSep1009.jpg

Two Transistor circuits
endAugSep1011.jpg

Two transistor boost components and schematic.
endAugSep1013.jpg

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loving those pics, datiled! Thanks for posting! :) I love minimalist hacky builds!