*NEW* Fenix PD35 Tactical Edition,tactical mode and outdoor mode,XP-L LED,1000 lumens

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicstone12

Banned
Edit: Possible shilling thread closed.
FYI; While discussion threads are of course permitted, creating a thread by merely posting a website hyperlink & a 'file pic' is not an acceptable discussion opener.

Last edited by a moderator:

hatman

Enlightened
Cool looking but I wonder about the tint.

The tint on my 2014 PD35 is just ugly.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until you start comparing with a nice coolish-neutral 3D/3C tint...so, DON'T DO IT :banghead:
I like the PD35 tint better then my 4/7s by a long shot.

I'm honestly not a tint hunter/snob, though I prefer higher output and do not mind cold light, warm makes me sleepy.

Ymmv of course, but there's nothing wrong with factory tint on the PD.
Though bud, you are a preferring tint customer, you've sold Zebras because of it right... Seems you painted yourself into a corner for preference and now it's all questionable IMO.
I feel for you 😀😀😀

As my preferred is the last thing the pro's at CPF want, so that leaves more for me ftw!

markr6

Flashaholic
I like the PD35 tint better then my 4/7s by a long shot.

I'm honestly not a tint hunter/snob, though I prefer higher output and do not mind cold light, warm makes me sleepy.

Ymmv of course, but there's nothing wrong with factory tint on the PD.
Though bud, you are a preferring tint customer, you've sold Zebras because of it right... Seems you painted yourself into a corner for preference and now it's all questionable IMO.
I feel for you 

As my preferred is the last thing the pro's at CPF want, so that leaves more for me ftw!

I don't know about painting myself into a corner, but it sure makes buying lights less enjoyable having to pay up for a modded version :(

I've returned to ZL if they are overly green or yellow. Any that I've sold were due to other reasons...trying them out...duplicates...etc

I just like when green leaves look like green leaves, skin looks like skin, gray concrete is gray instead of purplish, etc.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about painting myself into a corner, but it sure makes buying lights less enjoyable having to pay up for a modded version :(

I've returned to ZL if they are overly green or yellow. Any that I've sold were due to other reasons...trying them out...duplicates...etc
Yeah, sorry for poor figure of speech.
You know what I mean though more or less.

That's the trouble with lights you can't handle prior to ordering I guess, it'd be nice if others were on retail shelves like Fenix to try before one bites when you prefer a certain feature that is hard to quantify for so many.

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
I read the specs on this yesterday. It might be easier once you actually do it, but to me the UI of this light just seems overly complicated. That being said, I have never had a light with multiple sets of modes, so I have no experience to work with. What are other people's opinions?

Eagle

wjv

Enlightened
I read the specs on this yesterday. It might be easier once you actually do it, but to me the UI of this light just seems overly complicated. That being said, I have never had a light with multiple sets of modes, so I have no experience to work with. What are other people's opinions?

Eagle

Yup.

Downloaded the user manual and it wasn't clear if the light did/did-not have a momentary mode. It implied that the momentary mode was used for changing outputs (kinda like an LD10). But that could just be the poor English used in the manual that made it confusing. Instead of trying to make a dual purpose LE/Civilian light, I think they should have made a LE light and a separate civilian light (i.e. upgrade the 2014 edition).

If I was a cop I'd just stick to the Klarus XT11 (or similar).

I have to laugh when companies slap the label 'tactical" on a light just because it's bright and has a strobe. I could argue that a 1 lumen light could be just as "tactical" under certain conditions. Like when you need light but don't want to attract unwanted attention from some bad guys. . .

Well, I guess I'll use my tactical mouse to hit the "post reply" button that is being displayed on my tactical screen while I sit here in my tactical underwear. . . . .

Dan FO

Enlightened
My original PD35 (pre 2014) puts out more than 1000 lumen when tested in an integrating sphere, actually more than the 2014. I like the tint in that one so I see no reason to change. Tactical Schmactical. ;)

markr6

Flashaholic
Instead of trying to make a dual purpose LE/Civilian light, I think they should have made a LE light and a separate civilian light (i.e. upgrade the 2014 edition).

Sounds good to me.

PD35 TAC: cool white, turbo/strobe/low, fully protruding switch

PD35 UE: coolish-neutral white 5000K, moon/low/med/high, slightly floodier. Yes, only 4 modes so my thumb doesn't get any worse from clicking 43,548 times/day. Recessed switch/scalloped tail cap to allow tail standing.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm struggling a bit with the manual also ... It looks like, even in tactical mode, the rear switch might toggle between turbo and strobe, if you press twice within a second. Which isn't acceptable tactical/defensive use UI behavior, IME. Otherwise, I definitely don't mind the "two sets of behavior, utility or tactical". But tactical UI needs to be designed correctly

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have read, in non-tactical mode the rear button works like it always did on the PD35 original/2014. If you hold the side button for 3 seconds until it flashes to signify it toggled the operating mode, then it has no memory and always turns on as turbo. Then you half press like you used to with all the older style lights like the P3D CE to flip between the brightness/flashing modes.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have read, in non-tactical mode the rear button works like it always did on the PD35 original/2014. If you hold the side button for 3 seconds until it flashes to signify it toggled the operating mode, then it has no memory and always turns on as turbo. Then you half press like you used to with all the older style lights like the P3D CE to flip between the brightness/flashing modes.

There you go. My guess is that you can find exactly 0 trained people who feel that that is acceptable behavior in a tactical UI. Dang, all you need is to send one engineer to a single low-light class and they'll get a lot of insight as to the why's

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you have to enable that mode of operation, otherwise it works like the old PD35's. But if you wanted quick access to the strobe without this new TAC mode, you would have to fiddle around with the side button, whereas with this new one you can turn the light on, give it a quick button flick on the back and BOOM you have a blinding strobe. So you're not locked into this new rear switch UI if you do not want it.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
There you go. My guess is that you can find exactly 0 trained people who feel that that is acceptable behavior in a tactical UI. Dang, all you need is to send one engineer to a single low-light class and they'll get a lot of insight as to the why's
The amount of Leo that own the regular PD35 is of the charts by my guess, so anything faster to turbo is a bonus even if a little wonky.
I'm no Leo, so it doesn't matter to me, but the former mode was acceptable enough for many on this forum to buy the PD in its incarnation.

Not sure it's a con or just different.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a USA police officer who got a PD35 based on my recommendation and he loves it. He had some issues with the batteries he was using with the light not getting all of it's modes but aside from that battery issue he loves the light. So this new version would still give him the same functionality as before, only with the extra option of having that super quick access to strobe as well as turbo IF he wanted to put the light into TAC mode.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you have to enable that mode of operation, otherwise it works like the old PD35's. But if you wanted quick access to the strobe without this new TAC mode, you would have to fiddle around with the side button, whereas with this new one you can turn the light on, give it a quick button flick on the back and BOOM you have a blinding strobe. So you're not locked into this new rear switch UI if you do not want it.

We may be misunderstanding each other. I'm speaking specifically of the tactical UI, which I'm perfectly fine with having enabled in advance. The UI requirements are pretty simple. In that mode, the behavior you describe is exactly what's unacceptable: needing and anticipating turbo, but if you hit the button "too soon" by the UI's standards, getting a different mode instead -- and this possibly happening over and over as you flash and move. You're exactly right -- without that behavior, you wouldn't have quick access to strobe, which is a deficiency of the UI ... breaking acceptable tactical UI behavior, to make up for deficiencies elsewhere, isn't the way to address this. If I had to choose one, I'd pick no strobe + actual tactical UI, over gimmicky non-functional UI + instant strobe

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if you are quick tapping button for pulses of bright light, the worst you'll do is hit strobe for a second which is same output as turbo and is doing same thing as flashing turbo manually right?

Status
Not open for further replies.