• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: 4000 Lumen XHP70 Mag Mod with Voltage Monitor Option...

jayrob

Enlightened
:eek: 4000 Lumens! :) Several options shown below...

This is a WALL of light!

XHP70-3.jpg

Over
4000 lumens at 5 Amps... :cool:

Build Details:

* 2D Mag (let me know your color choice)
* XHP70 6V N4 5000K emitter set on custom heatsink as shown
* Copper or Aluminum heatsink option
* 5 Amp, 3 mode driver - L,M,H w/memory (see current readings below)
* Aluminum reflector (specify smooth or MOP)
* Borofloat high temp glass lens (or UCL glass lens)
* Fine focus adjustment
* Voltage monitor option

XHP70-1.jpg

XHP70-4.jpg

Aluminum Reflector: (choose smooth or MOP)

The aluminum reflector is machined to fit the 20mm emitter and heatsink post...

Smooth reflector...

MOP reflector...

(Smooth reflector at low power to show spot)
XHP70-5.jpg

XHP70-6.jpg

Voltage monitor option:

Mag%20XM-L%20T6%2032.jpg

Battery voltage monitor color code:

Bright blue - Full charge
Cyan - Very good
Green - Good
Yellow/Amber - Low warning
Red - Batteries low

The Spectrum battery voltage monitor will have a short 2 second initialization and some flashing when you first turn on the light. This is normal...

Driver Details:

I'm using the Qlite Zener mod driver at 5 Amps...

As shown in the pictures below, the driver has brass rings soldered on for help with the heat management, and then I used Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive to pot the chips.

Then when installing, I use more Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive to fill all air gaps in the heatsink driver cavity as the driver is 'squeezed it into place'.

XHP70-2.jpg

MT-G2%207.jpg

Current readings with 5 Amp driver: (High/medium/low)

This is a linear driver, so the current to the emitter is pretty much the same as measured at the tail...

Measured at the emitter:
* High - 4790mA's
* Medium - 1115mA's
* Low - 104mA's

Measured at the tail: (battery current draw from 2 X 32650 Li-Ion's)
* High - 4790mA's... Estimated run time - About 1.25 hours.
* Medium - 1355mA"s... Estimated run time - About 4.4 hours.
* Low - 108mA's - Estimated run time - Over 50 hours.

That's using 6000mAh capacity 32650's..

Note: This emitter at 5 Amps is 30 Watts. You must use common sense with your run times for this build. (in High mode) If it gets too warm in your hand, you will get a sense of the proper duty for your run time...

Turns the night into day!...

XHP70-7.jpg

XHP70-8.jpg

Pricing With Options:

The complete XHP70 Maglite build will include:

* 2D Maglite host (your choice of color)
* XHP70 6V 5000K emitter on Aluminum heatsink as shown
* 5 Amp, 3 mode driver - L,M,H w/memory
* Aluminum reflector (specify smooth or MOP)
* Borofloat glass lens (or UCL glass lens)

$219

Options:

* Copper heatsink option - $28
* Spectrum battery monitor installed - $58 The price of the Spectrum board is over $30 bucks, and my price for the installation as shown, is an additional $23 dollars. (this is actually more time consuming than it's worth to me, but it's so cool, that I'm trying to make it affordable)
* 6000mAh 32650 cells - $24 each (I have protected or non-protected - same price / tail cap mod needed for protected cells)
* WF-188 charger - $29
* Tail cap mod (if using protected cells) - $15

* Shipping will be based on a handling fee plus postage. (send PM for total)

Hope you like it!
biggrin.gif

P.S. Trusted seller?

You can read any one of my threads to see that I am a trusted seller. For example, in the case of my 2D sized 1000 lumen Maglite flashlight mod, please take a few minutes to read some of the buyer feedback that I have listed here: (to see that I am a trusted seller)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...plete-Light!&p=3899217&viewfull=1#post3899217

Last edited:

light-modder

Enlightened
I want one! I love the voltage monitor option. Still saving up for a stuby with voltage monitor though. I know not as bright but being shorter still has a place I think.

jayrob

Enlightened
Reserved for posting feedback from buyers...

I Love to see good feedback. In fact, I'm going to use this post to quote some of the feedback I've been getting on this build. So that I can link to it from other sites... :)

I just have the XML (batteries still on first charge, sits on bedroom bureau. MT-G2 is also wonderful, I have custom cerakote on it - I cannot comment on reflectors though (& don't have the XHP70). JayRob does great stuff!

Wow this is one heck of a light
I just ran out of battery, been using this for walks and all sorts of minor flashlight needs.
It held a charge for over 6 months of lot of low volume use.
Amazing

Jayrob - I've been using the light and thought I'd post some thoughts about it. I've used it quite a bit and am loving it. It appears quite unassuming, looking like just another black Mag-Lite but it surely is not. The volume of light it puts out is impressive and the beam quality is very good/excellent. While it is not designed as a "thrower" it puts out so much light it actually throws a long ways. The function of the forward clicky is great. It has three levels of light that are easily selectable and all useful. Run time is impressive even on high but on low it's amazing. I ordered mine with a warm white emitter and what he installed is just what I like. The battery condition indicator is a great addition and IMO sorely needed on more of our custom lights. The workmanship appears to be of the highest quality and I expect this light to be durable and trouble free for a long time. It's so flexible and has such long run time that It's going in my Suburban that is used for hunting and fishing. Thanks for a great light Jayrob.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jayrob, I've always been impressed at how open you are with these, posting such that you make it easy for someone else to DIY their own unit. That speaks volumes man

jayrob

Enlightened
I want one! I love the voltage monitor option. Still saving up for a stuby with voltage monitor though. I know not as bright but being shorter still has a place I think.

Just let me know when your ready to pull the trigger!
beer.gif

Jayrob, I've always been impressed at how open you are with these, posting such that you make it easy for someone else to DIY their own unit. That speaks volumes man

:thanks:

It's a great hobby and it is all about DIY...

But I also like to show details for people who would like to have me build them a light so that they know in advance what they are getting...
beer.gif

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Okay, I've got a Jayrob XML mag (red) mod with voltage monitor, a Mt-G2 mag (green) mod with voltage monitor.

Do I need a XPH70 as well? And what color should it be....

Highly recommend the voltage monitor for anyone considering one.

Ha ha! Temptation... :)

'Do I need one'? - Probably not.

'Do I want one'? - Most definitely!

Last edited:

tolkaze

Enlightened
Ooh, I know what i'm saving up for!

I have one of your 1000 lumen mods, and it is probably my most used big lights because it has the battery monitor in it. This thing would be amazing! give me a month or two and I will be back for one of these!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Very cool!

I'm curious, what's the reason for the tail cap mod when using protected cells?

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast

2x protected 32650 cells are very much longer than 2D cells. The tail spring in MagLites are very stiff. Without the mod, there would be fitment issues.

jayrob

Enlightened
Very cool!

Yes as jonwkng said...

The tail cap itself gets bored out a little at the end (about 1/4" depth) so that the battery can fit into the cap a little. The spring is relocated inside the center. Which also requires machining the inside where the spring sits to bare metal...

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Ahh, makes sense. I have several 4x18650 lights where the protected cells are too snug in the battery carrier, like my Niteye Eye40vn which Vinh bumped up to 10,000 lumens on turbo. But in that light unprotected IMRs are best anyway.

SUNNJIM

Newly Enlightened
Would you consider selling these components separately and how much?

1.Au heatsink
2.reflector

jimtesla

Newly Enlightened
just ordered mine

can't wait to get it

do you make this build in a stubby like your 1000

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
just ordered mine

can't wait to get it

do you make this build in a stubby like your 1000

Because it's a 6 volt emitter, you can't do a Stubby unless we use 3 X 14650's or something like that... But those won't have much in the way of capacity for driving the emitter at 5 Amps...

Better to use the 2 cell Li-Ion set up using 6000mAh 32650's... :)