What's the most lumens I can get from 2 x 18650?

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
And do you know of one I can buy?

I have flashlights that works as all around so I'm looking for the brightest spot beam and single function. I'm not concerned with run time. I have woods behind my back yard and I want to be able to throw a bright beam where I hear the noise. I have an 1100 lumen spot light that worked the way I want but I can't put it in my pocket.

Money's no object but only if I can afford it. :)

Amelia

Enlightened
Olight M3X-UT Javelot.
Not the most lumens, but probably the best "throw" you'll find in a stock light.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination.com has a closeout on the Baracuda, so check there.

It's maybe not quite the thrower that Amelia's choice is, but it's only $75 and at 710m, it throws pretty far. That's 7.5 football fields' worth.

Both lights will fit in your pocket, but their heads will be sticking out unless you're a rapper with MC HammerTime baggie pants.

Look to the ArmyTek Predator and/or Viking lights. A bit smaller and only one 18650, but they are pretty good throwers for their size and should fit more easily in your pocket.

Chris

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you can find a light with the 18650's side by side, you are stuck with a long light. I'm sure others can tell us if such a light exists.
For outstanding reliability, build quality, tint and simple UI a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 is hard to beat. I'm sure it doesn't have the spotlight-like throw of the previously mentioned lights, but it works for me.
I have a feeling you can get an adaptor for a Surefire m6 which lets it take 18650's, but I think it's quite pricy.
P

markr6

Flashaholic
Unless you can find a light with the 18650's side by side, you are stuck with a long light.

The incoming Nitecore EC4S looks great!!! Nice compact side-by-side format under 6" long and ~ 1.5" at the widest point. Probably not the throw/spot you're looking for since it has an MT-G2, but we'll have to wait until it comes out to know for sure. Apparently 2000 lumens!

Or just go with the 1000lm EC4 which can throw 322m.

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
Olight M3X-UT Javelot.
Not the most lumens, but probably the best "throw" you'll find in a stock light.

This is going to be your best bet for bright/long throw. There is a group buy going on right now down in the "Good Deals" sub-forum where you can get them for quite a bit of the list price.

Eagle

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look them over. It does't matter if it sticks out of my pocket, I have no problem with that. :)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look them over. It does't matter if it sticks out of my pocket, I have no problem with that. :)

In that case, the ArmyTek Barracuda at $75 would be worth a look. If you're feeling in more of a spendy mood, the Olight referenced above would be worth consideration.

Chris

Capolini

Banned
Olight M3X-UT Javelot.

I do not think he could put that in his pocket either!!! Especially w/ the extender 2 X 18650.

Slightly bulky[much smaller than M3Xs Javelot] but this will have plenty of throw! M2Xvn~ 1200 lumens-280/290Kcd that is XML2 U3 VERSION. If you go w/ XPG2 it was measured by Justin @ ~900 lumens/ 385Kcd!! I have both versions.

Just a thought,it is NOT necessary to put in your pocket. It comes w/ a holster and it is a Light/compact torch!

Edit: The STOCK VERSION can use an extender...2 X 18650. Modded [vn] version can not it takes 1 X IMR 18650,,,,,,,,,,,,All u need to do is carry another battery like I doif your out for more than 25/30 minutes.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393104-M2Xvn-High-Quality-Budget-Thrower

Last edited:

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
Okay, got another question. I'm looking over the lights y'all posted and when I see 2x18650 or 4xCR123 for said light, does that mean the the light gets the max lumen from the 4xCR123? With 2x18650 the lumen is less?

This got me wondering about the light I have but it didn't say anything about using 4xCR123s. The LED is a CREE T6 LED.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, got another question. I'm looking over the lights y'all posted and when I see 2x18650 or 4xCR123 for said light, does that mean the the light gets the max lumen from the 4xCR123? With 2x18650 the lumen is less?

This got me wondering about the light I have but it didn't say anything about using 4xCR123s. The LED is a CREE T6 LED.

It's not always that 'cut and dry'. Are those 4 CR123A/2 18650 cells in series, or parallel?
The higher voltage of the 4xCR123As can yield a greater output depending on how the LED driver is configured, or if the light is a 'direct drive' type jobbie. The down side is is that CR123As have about 1550mAh of capacity and if your cells are in series, you'll get the higher voltage, but not capacity. So while you might have greater output, or just 'more light' at 12v, than at 7.4v you won't have it for long, compared to the 18650s, which can have up to 3500mAh of capacity.

Don't know about your light, what voltage is the driver speced for? 4xCR123A in series, equals a 12v driver, but a 2P2S configuration would be 6v.

Chris

Amelia

Enlightened
Buzzzzzz.......

Nitecore P36, 2000 lumens on either 2- 18650's or 4- cr123's.

Yeah... and the soon to be released EC4S as well...
Lots of 2x18650 lights with more lumens, especially when you start looking at the "vn" and other modded lights, but no stock lights with as much throw as the M3X, at least that I know about. It's way too specialized of a light for me though... I do like at least a little spill! :)

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
It's not always that 'cut and dry'. Are those 4 CR123A/2 18650 cells in series, or parallel?
The higher voltage of the 4xCR123As can yield a greater output depending on how the LED driver is configured, or if the light is a 'direct drive' type jobbie. The down side is is that CR123As have about 1550mAh of capacity and if your cells are in series, you'll get the higher voltage, but not capacity. So while you might have greater output, or just 'more light' at 12v, than at 7.4v you won't have it for long, compared to the 18650s, which can have up to 3500mAh of capacity.

Don't know about your light, what voltage is the driver speced for? 4xCR123A in series, equals a 12v driver, but a 2P2S configuration would be 6v.

Chris

That would be in series. When you mentioned the driver I see what's the problem is. It's all in the driver. :oops:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... and the soon to be released EC4S as well...
Lots of 2x18650 lights with more lumens, especially when you start looking at the "vn" and other modded lights, but no stock lights with as much throw as the M3X, at least that I know about. It's way too specialized of a light for me though... I do like at least a little spill! :)

I could have sworn that the op asked for lumens not throw.

I can't speak foe the Nitecore EC4 as they aren't released yet and I don't have one nor will I probably.

I've got more high powered lights than I can used in two weeks and not use the same light twice.

I'll be getting a TM16 or two and probably done for the year.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
This shows I have much to learn. It may be the throw I'm after, that is if I understood. At my back yard is a lot and then woods beyond. My guess would be at least 50 yards give or take. What I want is a good spotlight at least that distance. The brighter the better. I'm not worrying about run time as it'll be momentarily.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
This shows I have much to learn. It may be the throw I'm after, that is if I understood. At my back yard is a lot and then woods beyond. My guess would be at least 50 yards give or take. What I want is a good spotlight at least that distance. The brighter the better. I'm not worrying about run time as it'll be momentarily.
50yards with a 1000lumen single cell light like a PD35 should net about 1 lux on target.
These throwers above are going to kill the floody throw of the PD35 an Pierce much deeper, as well have a little less spill/flood I'd think.
I'd think a floody thrower would work, an my suggestion is the PD35.😀
Jmtc honest biased an free.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just about any light on the market will project a beam 50 yards.

Lights that have lots of area coverage are called flood lights. Lights that project a beam hundreds of yards or more are throwers.

Flood lights can cover an area of 50 yards deep by 40-60 yards wide.

A thrower that projects a beam 1000 yards at 50 yards will only have a spot of light less than 10 yards wide. There will be some "spill" light which is carried over, but you'll primarily see what's in the spot.

If you really need 2000 lumens or so of light and want to use two 18650 batteries, the Nitecore P36 and the Fenix TK35UE will fit the bill.

The Nitecore goes down as low to 5 lumens, so if you need to keep your night vision, it's pretty easy to still see other areas only lit by ambient light.
The Fenix I think goes down to 25 lumens and the high of 1800. On high it's difficult to see 200 lumens difference between the Nitecore and Fenix.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A shaved XHP-50 drop-in with a 2x18650 host or MTG2 drop-in.
A dedomed MTG2 will throw a bit better I think.