Where do you guys host your pictures?

XtremePyro

Newly Enlightened
Ive got some pictures of a project Ive been working on that I think a few ppl might be interested in seeing. Problem is I dont have a site to put them up on. I tried yahoo, but the pics never would load in my test post, even though when I linked to a photo already on the web it loaded fine. So my question is to you guys who dont have a website, where do you host your pictures that you post to this forum?
Thanks for any help.

Tim

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My ISP gives each of it's customers either a 5meg web site or a 5meg ftp site as a part of their basic customer package. Check with your ISP to see if they make the same offer.

Bill.H

Enlightened
I was looking at this myself recently. I ended up opening accounts at walagata, photobucket, and imagestation (all .com).

So far I'm still playing with them, I haven't decided which one I like best yet. They're free, so try 'em all and see which one you like best.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most ISP's allow you to have personal web space, usually about 10mb. However you usually end up having to learn about FTP and a little about Unix to use it. If that isn'e enough, you can create your own site (no commercials, no nothing, "pick a name".com) with Godaddy for about $7 a month. I think that gives you 50mb of space, and about 1.5gb/month bandwidth.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guys on the Seiko/Citizen Forums and Timezone pointed me to www.fototime.com. They are not free, but it is the nicest site that I have tried yet. Very reliable, very fast to load and includes free album software that makes it very easy to keep your online and offline photos organized.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I have 5MB of "free" space provided by RR (my ISP), and I have a gig of fast web space with 25GB/month bandwidth I pay for that I use when I need to host something big like videos (costs me about $6.50/month).

Most ISPs will provide customers with a few MB of space, which is plenty for hosting pics that are attached to messages (since those pics should be very small). You just need to set up the space and link to it.

You don't actually need a web page, just a URL that points to the picture. For example; if you go to:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/geekgod

you get my uber-1337 web page. But if you go to:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/geekgod/Cool.JPG

you get a picture (taken while diving off Kahé Point a few months ago).

When you post URLs you should use the URL tags to shorten it and provide a clickable link.

Example:

http://www.kamipiula.net/videos/Swim.AVI

Can be shortened by using the URL tags to:

Click Here to see my video (2MB AVI of Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins).

To post a picture instead of a link, use the Image tags and the picture will appear in the message...

RGB_1.JPG

Keep the picture size small (I usually use 320x240 or 512x384) and JPG compress it so it will load faster. This keeps the load times short (especially for dail-up users). If you want to post something large it's best to post a link so that people with slow connections can choose not to look if they don't want to. Note: you can post a small picture as the link to a larger one using a combination of the URL and Image tages (then people can click on the picture if they want to see the full version).

Short animations can be done in GIF format instead of video:

And if you click on the picture above you can watch the full 5MB Quicktime video of the RGB light in action.

Hope this helps.

Aloha, iG

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very informative post illumiGeek /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif