All night race

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
So, at the end of July I am doing an all night canoe race and need a really bright, waterproof, light weight light. I am looking at NOCTIGON 4*18650 METEOR M43 from http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-418650-meteor-m43-p-864.html they have a number of bulb options and I'm not sure what to get or if I should get something else entirely.

The light will be running around 8 hours straight. It needs to be efficient and solid when running at whatever output (~500-700 lumens?) over 8 hours.

It needs to not burn out overheat or anything light that. it could get smacked or take a dunking and will be sprinkled with water constantly.

A 4 cell 18650 light seems to me to have the right brightness/weight ratios. Flashlights seem to be a better package than bike lights. More waterproof, and everything is packaged in one place in case I need to mess with something I can easier but I could consider other options.

Any recommendations or input?

--Mike

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
I have never been in a canoe at night, but I would suspect you would want a headlamp with a decent amount of light (50 lumens) to have on all the time (I would take a look at the Zebralight models) and a powerful flashlight with throw to be able to see long distances to look for buoys, etc.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never been in a canoe at night, but I would suspect you would want a headlamp with a decent amount of light (50 lumens) to have on all the time (I would take a look at the Zebralight models) and a powerful flashlight with throw to be able to see long distances to look for buoys, etc.

Yeah, I'd have to agree here. While the Meteor is a nifty new light and runs on 4x18650s, it's heavy and bulky IMO.

Something like a Zebralight SC62w, or SC600mkIIw and three spare 18650s might be the way I'd go, or even the H602w with spares. In fact, for a canoe race, the ZL headlights might be the better play, or just get a generic headband and run one of the two above standard flashlights, if they're not too heavy for the band.

Chris

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
The light won't be on my head. It will be on the bow of hte boat. I was formerly using a tk45 flashlight but looking to upgrade. I would often run it in the 4th setting at 312 lumens and use other boats lights every so often to get through the night. something small like suggested just wouldn't be enough.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multi-cell rechargables and water make me squeamish....

4 Streamlight Polytac HP's or plain Polytacs, good throw / spill. ( $160 total ) They are 275 lumens but look much brighter because of the reflector design. They're a light weight Polycarbonate that would be friendlier to mount vs a much heavier aluminum bodied light. Very waterproof, and pretty much indestructible. You can run 1-2 at a time and when it goes dead ( 3 hours regulated till 10% ) switch on another. Mount them all on the front and switch on as needed.

If you ran 1 at a time you'd get a absolute minimum of 8 hours at full brightness. If you want to test it out, they are $40 on Amazon....

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?397527-BOB-Bag-Hag-Streamlight-Polytac-275-Lumens

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
Multi-cell rechargables and water make me squeamish....

4 Streamlight Polytac HP's or plain Polytacs, good throw / spill. ( $160 total ) They are 275 lumens but look much brighter because of the reflector design. They're a light weight Polycarbonate that would be friendlier to mount vs a much heavier aluminum bodied light. Very waterproof, and pretty much indestructible. You can run 1-2 at a time and when it goes dead ( 3 hours regulated till 10% ) switch on another. Mount them all on the front and switch on as needed.

If you ran 1 at a time you'd get a absolute minimum of 8 hours at full brightness. If you want to test it out, they are $40 on Amazon....

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?397527-BOB-Bag-Hag-Streamlight-Polytac-275-Lumens

Polycarbonate does sound appealing. The weight savings would be great. and extra waterproofing. I really don't like the idea of having multiple lights or swapping them out. strange as it may seem but losing even a minute somewhere would be disastrous. I can usually figure out our placement down to 15 minutes over 15 hours and a couple minutes would mean losing a place or 2.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Polycarbonate does sound appealing. The weight savings would be great. and extra waterproofing. I really don't like the idea of having multiple lights or swapping them out. strange as it may seem but losing even a minute somewhere would be disastrous. I can usually figure out our placement down to 15 minutes over 15 hours and a couple minutes would mean losing a place or 2.

Mount all 4, and simply turn one on at a time. No swapping cells. You also have backup incase of a failure vs 1 light. ( Highly unlikely with the Polytac, but this is definitely the type of situation that requires backups ).

If you run a 16650 thats 2.75hrs till 40% per light. 11hrs total.

I don't know your budget but if you go 1 light ( throw a Polytac in for backup ) might as well go crazy and really light stuff up....Fenix TK76 420Lumens for 11 Hrs should do it.

$250 @ BH Photo

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
Mount all 4, and simply turn one on at a time. No swapping cells. You also have backup incase of a failure vs 1 light. ( Highly unlikely with the Polytac, but this is definitely the type of situation that requires backups ).

If you run a 16650 thats 2.75hrs till 40% per light. 11hrs total.

I don't know your budget but if you go 1 light ( throw a Polytac in for backup ) might as well go crazy and really light stuff up....Fenix TK76 420Lumens for 11 Hrs should do it.

$250 @ BH Photo

That tk76 looks sweet I'll add it to my list. Usually I bring a main light. Last couple of races my main light was a tk 45 last couple years and then I would bring along a small <100 lumen pocket flashlight for backup. If the main light went out, we could still move and I or our pit crew could fix it and get it back to us or get us new batteries etc to us a hour or so down the line.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
That tk76 looks sweet I'll add it to my list. Usually I bring a main light. Last couple of races my main light was a tk 45 last couple years and then I would bring along a small <100 lumen pocket flashlight for backup. If the main light went out, we could still move and I or our pit crew could fix it and get it back to us or get us new batteries etc to us a hour or so down the line.

Yeah, wish I had the money, but $250 I could get me an HDS Rotary or Malkoff for personal use.

3 things are for sure with the TK76.

1) Everyone will ask you about it. :wave:

2) You might be a little bow heavy. :)
3) That thing would look rad strapped to the front of a canoe. :rock:

Last edited:

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, wish I had the money, but $250 I could get me an HDS Rotary or Malkoff for personal use.

3 things are for sure with the TK76.

1) Everyone will ask you about it. :wave:

2) You might be a little bow heavy. :)
3) That thing would look rad strapped to the front of a canoe. :rock:

It is a bit on the heavy side. Other lights I was looking at were in the 300 to 500 gram range. But it is bad ***. Here's my spreadsheet so far https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cLtH_gEvbbkBWaVotHt7fV-jct9_CHb26fr6M_yhEFg/edit?usp=sharing

I don't mind spending 200 some dollars. I'm hoping to get in the top 10 and it would pay for itself that way via prize money.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why, but your endeavor is haunting me. I would omit Niteye & Nitecore. Nitecore, in mine and many others experience, is less than reliable, and I would imagine you won't have tons of testing time or would like to purchase 2. Niteye I am unfamiliar with hands on, but do not support the sale of anything from sysmax ( Nitecore, Jetbeam, Niteye ) for the theft from another forum memeber, the maker of the SPY 007. :thumbsdow

The only ones I can vouch for on your list are Fenix, Zebralight & Olight. I used to always not recommend ZL for reliability issues, but this from what I have read has been resolved for the past couple years with reliability going up. These 3 companies also have been one of the few China made brands that are 100% honest in their design process to my knowledge. Manker, Thrunite, Black Shadow & Acebeam I have no experience with other than it seems many are pleased with Thrunite.

The Olight SR52 seems good. Olight is rather popular. One of the owners being a long time forum member, supporter and manufacturer.

I'll keep tinkering in my head to see if theres anything else I can think of....

Last edited:

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why, but your endeavor is haunting me. I would omit Niteye & Nitecore. Nitecore, in mine and many others experience, is less than reliable, and I would imagine you won't have tons of testing time or would like to purchase 2. Niteye I am unfamiliar with hands on, but do not support the sale of anything from sysmax ( Nitecore, Jetbeam, Niteye ) for the theft from another forum memeber, the maker of the SPY 007. :thumbsdow

The only ones I can vouch for on your list are Fenix, Zebralight & Olight. I used to always not recommend ZL for reliability issues, but this from what I have read has been resolved for the past couple years with reliability going up. These 3 companies also have been one of the few China made brands that are 100% honest in their design process to my knowledge. Manker, Thrunite, Black Shadow & Acebeam I have no experience with other than it seems many are pleased with Thrunite.

The Olight SR52 seems good. Olight is rather popular. One of the owners being a long time forum member, supporter and manufacturer.

I'll keep tinkering in my head to see if theres anything else I can think of....

Well thanks. You definitely made me formally think everything out and have someone to bounce ideas off of. The sr52 is a pretty decent looking light and its cheap. The tips on quality are something i haven't come across before so thanks for that as well.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks. You definitely made me formally think everything out and have someone to bounce ideas off of. The sr52 is a pretty decent looking light and its cheap. The tips on quality are something I haven't come across before so thanks for that as well.

Yeah man happy to help. It's a very interesting requirement. That said, on the SR52 I didn't see the usb plug..... it looks more robust than a traditional rubber plug with a slider door in it's place, but not very waterproof.....It may even by design allow water into the port, as long as the port inside is sealed well, water ingress past the door shouldn't be an issue. Be sure to air dry after a dunking or if you flip over after the race. maybe Im overthinking it as the light is 2 Meter in the specs, but you may want to check with a good vendor about the design and water. Call / email Goingear. Top notch product knowledge, and Marshals a nice dude, ran into him at Shot Show.

Also, GREAT beam....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0evW8U8iShw

I think this is the light to get, and the price is right.

Last edited:

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
Did you pick?

Yes. I ended up getting the meteor m43 and my brother is going to get the fenix ld75c. Just wanted the meteor for the coolness factor. Well probably end up using my brothers fenix light. Another guy is looking for a light and I will recommend the olight sr52 to him as it really is the best all round light. We'll test them and see how they all work. Now I just need to find a charger that will work with the LG INR18650-HG2 High drain batteries that the meteor requires. Or could I use some higher power density Panasonic based protected batteries and just not turn it up full power?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I ended up getting the meteor m43 and my brother is going to get the fenix ld75c. Just wanted the meteor for the coolness factor. Well probably end up using my brothers fenix light. Another guy is looking for a light and I will recommend the olight sr52 to him as it really is the best all round light. We'll test them and see how they all work. Now I just need to find a charger that will work with the LG INR18650-HG2 High drain batteries that the meteor requires. Or could I use some higher power density Panasonic based protected batteries and just not turn it up full power?

Well, That was a rather large hamster wheel. ;) That said, that Noctigon is really growing on me..... something about it......

Also, let us know how the others stack uo.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Meteor M43 was DOA! :mecry:

It will be okay, no emergency... just a really big sucky patch. :(

That thing is going to kill in the coming years as a mod host, just sayin'

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Meteor M43 was DOA! :mecry:

It will be okay, no emergency... just a really big sucky patch. :(

That thing is going to kill in the coming years as a mod host, just sayin'

Poop.

Scratch that one off my list. Sample size of 1, Yes. But they could of turned it on before putting it in the box.

It also doesn't list impact distance, which I don't prefer. Very cool looking light though.