Surefire EB1 Backup shroud or nonshroud?

steelshooter

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks. I am in the market for a Surefire EB1 Backup. I am not interested in the tactical switch and they are discontinuing them anyway. I have the option to choose shroud or no shroud. I have mixed feelings and having a hard time choosing. I am sort of a minimalist type EDC guy but open minded. Please advise folks. Thank you!

Lance

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i put a shrouded tailcap on my E1L, and prefer it more. not because of the tailstanding, but because of the flared end provides a more secure grip when using it in a cigar type grip or overhand grip.

you might want to check out the E1D as well. its the same high/low interface, with a wider, brighter beam.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
I put the shroud on my E1B and E1D. Think it was the Z68. All the above reasons. Although with the EB1 the shroud will not tail stand to well. Peep the x2 AA thrower oh yeah.

steelshooter

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the input and picture provided. I am going to order the EB1 Backup with shroud and a E1D Defender with shroud and hold them before I decide. Please keep the opinions coming... :twothumbs

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Additional food for thought:

The E1D is basically the back up shroud that has been machined to have "teeth".

So I say this: When I say Shroud, I actually include the E1D in my thoughts. It tail stands, and adds to the gripability, but also offers the Defense features. :) I have more Defender tail caps on my Legos than normal shrouds. Basically because they are easier to find and often cheaper.

Ya dig??

steelshooter

Newly Enlightened
Additional food for thought:

The E1D is basically the back up shroud that has been machined to have "teeth".

So I say this: When I say Shroud, I actually include the E1D in my thoughts. It tail stands, and adds to the gripability, but also offers the Defense features. :) I have more Defender tail caps on my Legos than normal shrouds. Basically because they are easier to find and often cheaper.

Ya dig??
Yes I dig! :) I am starting to think about changing my mind to a E1D Defender. Surefire told me they are planning to boost the EB! Backup to 300 lumins but not sure when. Sounds like you prefer the E1D Defender over the backup model?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally yes, I prefer the E1D. But...Some folks prefer not having the Teeth on the Bezel. But, you can solve that. There is a member here who does "dental" work on them and fix that up. But I love the teeth. So, that solves that. lol

I guess you could sum it up: The Back up is easier on your pockets and clothing and where ever you store it. But the E1D has more grip, cool looks?, and can be nice to carry at night on the streets.

Back up comes on Low first, then high
E1D comes full blast first, then low.

But you have to decide what works best for you.

steelshooter

Newly Enlightened
Personally yes, I prefer the E1D. But...Some folks prefer not having the Teeth on the Bezel. But, you can solve that. There is a member here who does "dental" work on them and fix that up. But I love the teeth. So, that solves that. lol

I guess you could sum it up: The Back up is easier on your pockets and clothing and where ever you store it. But the E1D has more grip, cool looks?, and can be nice to carry at night on the streets.

OK. Thank you for the information. Its never easy for me to pick out a flashlight. I do not collect them.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Back-Up comes on Full Blast just like the E1D. The Tactical two stage comes on in low, but I believe the OP was only asking about the click version.

steelshooter

Newly Enlightened
The Back-Up comes on Full Blast just like the E1D. The Tactical two stage comes on in low, but I believe the OP was only asking about the click version.
OH. OK. Thank you for setting us straight. I am only interested in the clicky version EB1 Backup with shroud.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke with a "tech and warranty" man yesterday at surefire. He said its in the works but no release date.

Thanks for the info. Guess I better pick up a current version if I want a tactical two stage switch.

Another thing to consider-the E1D has WAY better grip because of the knurled body. The Tan EB1 has some good grip as well, but the black EB1 is pretty slippery. Some guys have even put rubber shrink tube on the body.
If you decide the shroud on the E1D is not for you, you can pick up a Z61 and its fully compatible with the E1D and it matches. With the EB1, if you decide you don't like the shroud, you're basically stuck with it unless you can convince Surefire to exchange it. They're not sold separately and the threads are different (it has more) from most other E Series lights.

Last edited:

steelshooter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Guess I better pick up a current version if I want a tactical two stage switch.

Another thing to consider-the E1D has WAY better grip because of the knurled body. The Tan EB1 has some good grip as well, but the black EB1 is pretty slippery. Some guys have even put rubber shrink tube on the body.
If you decide the shroud on the E1D is not for you, you can pick up a Z61 and its fully compatible with the E1D and it matches. With the EB1, if you decide you don't like the shroud, you're basically stuck with it unless you can convince Surefire to exchange it. They're not sold separately and the threads are different (it has more) from most other E Series lights.
OK. I wonder if the beam is better on the defender model for EDC?

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I wonder if the beam is better on the defender model for EDC?

I like both, but if I had too choose one for EDC (remember you're a minimalist type), I'd choose the E1D. The spill beam is noticeably brighter and the hot spot is not so noticeably dimmer. The EB1 is a really good pocket spotter, but I usually carry it with another light. The E1D gets the job done on its own.
Edit: Be sure to check out flashlightguide.com. Jim has awesome reviews and beam comparison tools for both (and many others).

Last edited:

steelshooter

Newly Enlightened
I like both, but if I had too choose one for EDC (remember you're a minimalist type), I'd choose the E1D. The spill beam is noticeably brighter and the hot spot is not so noticeably dimmer. The EB1 is a really good pocket spotter, but I usually carry it with another light. The E1D gets the job done on its own.
Edit: Be sure to check out flashlightguide.com. Jim has awesome reviews and beam comparison tools for both (and many others).
I just took a look at both lights. I am going to order both and feel them out I think. Sounds like the E1D Defender makes a better EDC where as the EB1 Backup is a backup light designed for police. That guy has very good reviews.