Why bore a surefire?

Deltaoutdoorsman

Newly Enlightened
I'm not asking why you actually bore it. I know that it is to make it large enough for an 18650.
I'm asking why do you pay extra to have one bored when a solarforce body already acomodates an 18650 and is available in a variety of styles.
This kind of sounds like I'm trolling but I'm actually very curious. Is there an advantage in having a surefire body over one of the clones?
I have an older Incan 6p and access to machining equipment, and I have threatened many times to bore it out but I just can't seem to figure out why it's worth the effort.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not asking why you actually bore it. I know that it is to make it large enough for an 18650.
I'm asking why do you pay extra to have one bored when a solarforce body already acomodates an 18650 and is available in a variety of styles.
This kind of sounds like I'm trolling but I'm actually very curious. Is there an advantage in having a surefire body over one of the clones?
I have an older Incan 6p and access to machining equipment, and I have threatened many times to bore it out but I just can't seem to figure out why it's worth the effort.

Unless someone has made the effort to compare measurements between a 6P and a particular Solarforce L2 series host at locations critical to structural strength, compare the quality of machining and the difference in anatomy of the head and socket between the two, and confirm which of the two is constructed from a stronger or better quality aluminum alloy, I think most anyone can tell you is QUALITATIVELY, the 6P has a better hand feel, which might be associated with better quality, hence choosing to bore out a 6p.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think people get caught up in the whole 'made in the usa' that's associated with surefire, so they go through the extra effort to make sure they can have a surefire body as their 18650 light.

It's ridiculous to me, but I don't care how other people spend their money.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both a G2 and a 6P that I have upgraded to LED lamp assemblies. I have been using 16650 cells in both lights, and am perfectly happy with the results. I suppose if I wanted the absolute highest run time available I might consider boring them out, but I have other lights that can meet that challenge as is. I consider the two to be emergency lights mainly. I already EDC a Microstream and have a Tube on my keychain. I take the G2 or the 6P along when there is the possibility of a power failure due to storms or whatever, or when I will be traveling at night.

I bought the G2 because my first light ten years ago was a G2, and I wanted another. I already had an LED lamp assembly, so my total cost was $30. I liked the combo so much when I had a chance to pick up a 6P for $40 I jumped at it. Add a $20 mulit-mode Nichia drop in, and I've got two great lights with holsters for under $100.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer to support the companies that create the original designs, not the ones that copy them (and aren't made to the same high standard). Most of my P and C series lights are bored for 18650s. The ones that aren't bored are either weapon mounted or fed by CR123s in range bags.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a very long time there was nothing in a 16650 that could really drive a LED drop-in the way people would like. And 17650 cells would sometimes fit and sometimes not. At that time it made a lot of sense to bore out a Surefire 6P/C2 for 18650 in order get really powerful drive out of the light. And many people consider Surefire hosts to be of a much higher quality than Solarforce hosts. I've personally owned a few Solarforce hosts and they are pretty cheaply made lights - the AL body feels lighter and cheaper, the threads at the ends are not rugged, the finishes are poor, etc.

Also 18650 is a very common cell and lots of options available.

If it were me now and I had a un-bored 6P I would definitely give one of the 2000mAh 16650 cells a try. Otherwise I would recommend looking at some of the Oveready Moddoolar lights a try - awesome high-quality hosts designed for 18mm cells and P60 drop-ins.

radiopej

Enlightened
The Surefire logo is on the body. Otherwise they may as well get the whole light from Solarforce.

I love Solarforce, but I like my lights to have their manufacturer stuff on them.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer to support the companies that create the original designs, not the ones that copy them (and aren't made to the same high standard). Most of my P and C series lights are bored for 18650s. The ones that aren't bored are either weapon mounted or fed by CR123s in range bags.

+1

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
The 16650s are fantastic, they even fit in my LX2. I use 2000mAh Keeppower brand but 2500mAh are available somewhere.

I am also very happy with the 16650 keeppower cells. I'm using the 2500mah, at 4.2 volts. Like 10 doogaloos from gearbest. I have an xtar V2 on the way, I'm hoping to get 4.3 and see if it's worth the extra .1 volt. I try to spend as much cash as possible with USA companies, innovative designs are a bonus with SF.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Very happy so far with my Keeppower 16650s too. Apparently the 2500mah don't fit in the LX2. Brightness on my Fury seems just as high as with primaries.

dss_777

Enlightened
A this point, I'd never bore a Surefire- I'd rather live with the limitations they have, and put the money into updated designs that do what I need them to do from the outset.

Boring surefire lights now is mainly to update legacy designs for improved functionality, or just for the sentimental value, IMO.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really?

So what make of car do you drive? Or what make of TV or computer do you have?

Fiat saw an opportunity Stateside for the compact car with the success of the Mini Cooper. Riding on coat tails? Yes. Blatant copy? Insolvent car company without the Mini Copper? No. I feel the comparison isn't there. Solarforce simply exists because of Surefire.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Forrest. The answers are Toyota, Panasonic, and Toshiba....but I don't see the correlation between these items and my statement.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Forrest. The answers are Toyota, Panasonic, and Toshiba....but I don't see the correlation between these items and my statement.

I got it. I got it..... He's saying XXX brand didn't invent the original Car / TV / Computer / Flashlight. That SureFire is more or less a culmination of "copies" because they aren't the original inventor of the flashlight.

With respect, that is a BIG stretch. SolarForce is a blatant ripoff from SureFire with a long history of hosts and lights "inspired" by SureFire.
Surefire was an innovator, a leader. Not simply a culmination of copies from the original flashlight, whatever that was?. I have no idea you got there :thinking:. It was a perfect storm of genius ( PK ), determination and the unwavering vision of John Mathews that made SureFire excel and truly produce a superior product in it's day. This was an amazing accomplishment and advancement at the time. I may not buy SureFires, heck, I don't even like what their peddling now a days, but you can't take away or marginalize their immense contribution to the hobby and industry. In a way...much like Maglite...they are the original flashlight.

( I know, I know, I missed some parts. But we are now WAY Off Topic.... reel her in somebody. )

Last edited:

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few "classic" SF's, and would like to make them 18mm compatible.
So far - well, after much thinking - I've decided on getting a few 17670's before I alter any originals . . . .

Surefire was an innovator, a leader. Not simply a culmination of copies from the original flashlight… a perfect storm of genius ( PK ), determination and the unwavering vision of John Mathews that made SureFire excel and truly produce a superior product… This was an amazing accomplishment and advancement at the time. …you can't take away or marginalize their immense contribution to the hobby and industry. In a way...much like Maglite...they are the original flashlight.

ForrestChump,

Sir, that's Poetry. And True. So it's True Poetry!