AW 750 mah drivin at 750 ma, thoughts

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Hi guys, I am trying to decide if I want to make a change to my edc. What do you guys think about an AW 750 mah being drivin at 750. I am switching to a single speed driver. Right now I am on a XML, 3S at 660mA using RCR123a 750mah batteries. The switch would to XML-2, a single speed driver at 750ma using the same AW 750 mah batteries.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
My goal is do ditch the modes,get more lumens without effecting my run time too badly.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run AW 750 ICR blacks in my Shiningbeam I-Mini and SWM M11R. I run AW 550 IMR reds in my SWM V11R and EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky. They have worked well, although after ~3 years, I need to get some fresh ones.

I'm only buying AW 16340s going forward, as I think that Andrew does a great job of cutting out the crappy stuff and picking the better quality cells for his marquee.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/AW 16340 ICR123 750mAh (Black) UK.html

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/AW IMR 16340 550mAh (Red) UK.html

If you have to have a protection circuit, the the blacks will do well at 750mA. You're probably better off with the IMRs, however, but they're naked.

Chris

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its an RCR123

To simplify my post. How much run time would I lose going from running 660 ma to 750 ma?

Just call them 16340s. RCR123 is a bit of a loose term, as many 3.2v cells like to use RCR123. AW uses 16340.

At a 660mA draw, a 560mAh cell should yield about 51 minutes, all other things being equal.

At a 750mA draw, a 560mAh battery should last about 45 minutes, all other things being equal.

The difference is ~6 minutes.

Of course, you never want to discharge your cells down much below 3.4v-3.5v, if you can help it, so those runtimes are theoretical and cell killers.

Chris

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Thank you ver much Chris, awesome answer. Do u know about the lumen difference? Whole other ball game but maybe u know? Started with 660 ma draw with an XML. Now will be a 750 draw to an XML 2. All cases with

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you ver much Chris, awesome answer. Do u know about the lumen difference? Whole other ball game but maybe u know? Started with 660 ma draw with an XML. Now will be a 750 draw to an XML 2. All cases with

The XM-L and XM-L2 are something like 1040LM at 3A and XXX degrees and 1052LM, respectively, so at 750mA, you're not pushing them hard and I seriously doubt that you'd see a difference just based on those two dissimilar currents. I bet you see more of a difference in tint, than sheer differential output.

http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp

Chris

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Damn....thank you. That's what I was afraid of. I thought with the extra push and upgraded XML2 I could get a noticeable amount of extra light.
And with memory, doing this change just to ditch the 3 speed is kinda dumb I guess.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Thanks for that link. The XML2 says a 38% gain in light just from going from XML to XML-2. What do u think of that? Wouldn't that be very noticeable? That's the easy white. The other one says 20%.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that link. The XML2 says a 38% gain in light just from going from XML to XML-2. What do u think of that? Wouldn't that be very noticeable? That's the easy white. The other one says 20%.

Well, it says 'up to 20% more output...' than the XM-L, but it clearly states that at 3A the difference is only 12LM, or just over 1%, so that 'up to 20%' figure has to come from some other parameter and I can't say what that is.

Chris

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
To find out the increase in lumen percentage in the particular XML-2 that I would be getting I found out the bin and the bin is U2-1C. The "Binning" on the site says nothing about U2-1C on any of their XML-2's??I'm so lost

Last edited:

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Well, it says 'up to 20% more output...' than the XM-L, but it clearly states that at 3A the difference is only 12LM, or just over 1%, so that 'up to 20%' figure has to come from some other parameter and I can't say what that is.

Chris

Ok I got ya....Im gathering that my plans for change really are pointless. Thank you for the help.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
To find out the increase in lumen percentage in the particular XML-2 that I would be getting and the bin is U2-1C. The "Binning" on the site says nothing about U2-1C on any of their XML-2's?? I'm so lost

Don't sweat the little stuff Bud, it's just a flashlight, not the key to unlock the secrets of the Universe.

U2 is generally a high output bin code, although I've seen the XM-L2 with a U3 bin code used. 1C is the tint bin code and slightly below a cool white temperature, which are like 1A, 1B.

CreeLEDbinsTints_zps58c31529.jpg

That's for the XM-L LED, but it gives you an idea what you're dealing with in tint shading.

Chris

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened

Chris

The easy white xml2 says "enables a 38% gain in light output and efficacy as a drop-in upgrade to the first-generation XM-L " that makes it sound like just upgrading to the XML2 will give 38% more light output in general..not true??

Don't sweat the little stuff Bud, it's just a flashlight, not the key to unlock the secrets of the Universe.

U2 is generally a high output bin code, although I've seen the XM-L2 with a U3 bin code used. 1C is the tint bin code and slightly below a cool white temperature, which are like 1A, 1B.

CreeLEDbinsTints_zps58c31529.jpg

That's for the XM-L LED, but it gives you an idea what you're dealing with in tint shading.

Chris

Ok thanks

Last edited: