1xAA flashlights with side clicky besides Zebralight?

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
As the title says, are there any side clicky options besides ZL in a 1xAA size?

timbo114

Enlightened
ArmyTek Prime A1

prime_a1_pro.jpg

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArmyTek Prime A1

Yes, I just ordered the Prime A1 as well as the Prime A2... couldn't decide so got both! :)
Overall, I prefer the 1xAA format, but sometimes need the extra run-time of the 2xAA. 1xAA on max usually doesn't last too long.

Also ordered the ZL SC5w. Not sure whether I'll prefer the Prime A1 (in warm) or the neutral SC5w. But I think I'll use the Prime outdoors more often, as the specs list it as quite a bit more rugged. Never bought an Armytek before, so I hope the specs aren't just marketing. Can you really drop them from 10 meters?

The Armytek is a bit cheaper than the Zebralight, if you find ZL's just a little too expensive. I think the Zebralight's extra cost is for getting things just a little brighter and a little smaller; they're the best for small bright lights.

gsr

Enlightened
Photon Proton Pro. It also has a nifty red secondary LED, and a name that can be tricky to say really fast.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Yes, I just ordered the Prime A1 as well as the Prime A2... couldn't decide so got both! :)
Overall, I prefer the 1xAA format, but sometimes need the extra run-time of the 2xAA. 1xAA on max usually doesn't last too long.

Also ordered the ZL SC5w. Not sure whether I'll prefer the Prime A1 (in warm) or the neutral SC5w. But I think I'll use the Prime outdoors more often, as the specs list it as quite a bit more rugged. Never bought an Armytek before, so I hope the specs aren't just marketing. Can you really drop them from 10 meters?

The Armytek is a bit cheaper than the Zebralight, if you find ZL's just a little too expensive. I think the Zebralight's extra cost is for getting things just a little brighter and a little smaller; they're the best for small bright lights.
Can't speak on Armytek, but I feel like Zebralight is worth the money. Out of the 4 lights I've acquired in the past couple months, my SC52w was the most expensive, but I feel money well spent between the UI, efficiency, and hand feel. Not a big light, but it feels like it could cost more than what it does and on par with my Surefires quality-wise. I could see myself becoming a ZL collector.

I too have looked at the Neutron 2A V2, but between the poor reviews (Selfbuilt was favorable overall), how plain and ugly (almost cheap looking) it is, and that it doesn't really do anything better than my SC52w except be brighter for a few seconds, I've cooled on it. It did not impress me either that in 2xAA mode, high mode (260 lumens I think) is the exact same output as the 1xAA excluding the turbo burst. I'd take the Archer instead in a 2xAA format.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised Maglite does not make a single AA light. That is a common form factor for a commercially available light, and that is what they specialize in.

DOH!

Missed that OP requirement. A single AA does feel like an empty gap in the Maglite lineup, but as mentioned in another thread, they are usually at a dead snails pace with changing anything. The CR123 Mag-Tac took forever in comparison for where a large niche of the market was. However, Maglite has the exposure, they can afford to be late. It wouldn't surprise me if they dwarfed Streamlight, Surefire, Fenix and a hanfull of other manufactures combined in total sales. They have so much mass marketing the niches seem unimportant to them. Even the LED took forever.....I think the Mag-Tac was a result of LEO realizing and switching to a smaller form factor, unseating Maglite as the "Cop flashlight". In addition, Im sure Magite also noticed they have ( from what I can tell ) almost none of the military market. Walmart Shopper > LEO > Military - would be my guess for the what the broader flashlight market looks like.

But Im way OT now.... Carry on.

Last edited: