Boosted KL6

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Though I'm not sure if this message go to this or the Reviews forum, here it goes. Just received a KL6 with drive current boosted to 1A by CM (i.e. 50% increase, which should cut the constant-brightness run time to 1 hour). The beam is wonderfully white with plenty of sidespill though diameter is less than I expected, probably due to the deep but narrow reflector. Comparing to Lamba's Megalite HD (a design very similar to Mr. Bulk's SN II), the KL6's hotspot is less intense but not by much. I can see both lights throw more than 350 feet (a limit imposed by my surroundings) in the brightly-lid urban area where I live, so actual throw should be more than that. I must say it's a worthwhile mod.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Alan are you not worried about the reliability issues that go along with this overdriven mod?

Doug

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I was thinking more on the lines of reducing the LED's life span! I understand the 5 watters have an anticipated life of 5000 hours and this can be dramatically reduced by as much as 50-75% by overdriving them. Of course it is all relevant but it depends on if you want to suddenly find the LED dies when your not expecting it to doesn't it?

Doug

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Doug,

Dead Luxeon V is a possibility though I've come to accept that as a fact of life since all things electronic can go just like that (at least my US$3,500 CD player did). However, the light will pretty much stay home (kind of big for EDC) so backup is readily available. Furthermore, replacing the LED with something better (and probably tougher) in the future is always possible with so many skilled CPFers here.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think by the time Alan burns through his 500 hours, X bin 5W should be more common. The LED in the KL6 is easily replaceable and if Alan gets a hold of an X or better 5W or if he happens to go through his 500 hours prematurely, I will replace his LED for FREE! Hear that Alan? You might want to make a note of my promise here. Of course, he has to pay for shipping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, some of you guys are just into chopping up those expensive flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM, nice to see you posting.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM could you do the same kind of thing to a KL5? What kind of output/runtime/problems would you expect? --Thanks, Tim

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
CM,

Thanks for the offer. I'm pretty sure Z-bin Luxeon V will be readily available by the time I burn through US$1,875 worth of batteries.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim,

I have gotten my KL5 apart. It is not as hard as one would think. I'm pretty happy with mine for now so I left it alone.

Alan,

Z-bin? WHere do I paypal?

CM

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
CM,

The Luxeon V in Megalite HD is visibly whiter (and bluer) than the one in KL6, which makes me think higher-binned Luxeon V may boost KL6's brightness further.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Maybe some KL5's are harder? I remeber reading that SF did somethign to make it hard to take apart... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
Boy, some of you guys are just into chopping up those expensive flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony, you started me on it. Then seeing Don's work with the SF L1, now CM's work on Alan's KL6.... I can't believe I am shopping for new Surefire lights in order to have them shipped off immediately for improving...er uh...modifying . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I'm getting things together to see if Don can mod an L1 for me with a PR-T head, then another KL-3 from you, this one with a pelican reflector....now I'm thinking about an L6-Improved by CM.

I'm starting to view Surefires as primo hosts and donors...urk! I just got hit with some Maglite deja-vu!

Britt

McGizmo

Flashaholic
CM,

I'm glad to hear you got your KL5 apart! I understand that there were various adhesives/ selants tried and tested. Perhaps the unit I couldn't get apart was bonded with a material that wasn't selected for the pruduction units. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif One can only hope.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On topic, the KL6 has a modder's "Welcome" sign clearly visible to all who bother to look! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a KL6, so I was wondering if it is really worth spending all of that money. What is the diameter of the reflector in the KL6? Is it a throwing beast or is it just pretty good for a five watt?

I'm just wondering how much they increased the size of the reflector over the KL4. I have an M4 head that has a reflector about 2" in diameter. I am so tempted to try it out with a 5W, but am not sure if it will be worth it.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
No, it doesn't get hot like the L4. In fact, it doesn't even get warm in a couple of minutes.

As to SNII-like brightness, I'm not sure if the perceived brightness difference between the boosted L6 and Megalite HD is due to brightness alone. Color temperature may play a part too, making the Megalite HD seems brighter still.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop, the M4 head is 2.5" in diameter, and it works nicely with a 5 watter. The hotspot is halve the size of a fraen LP on a lux3, and obviously much more intense. Only problem is heat, as the reflector is shock isolated.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
kakster,
Thanks for the info. I think I've got the heat issue kicked. I'm not going to be depending on the reflector to act as a conductor to get the heat out. Anyway, I've already done away with the shock isolation foam rubber. You don't need it with an LED anyway.

So, I guess, a 5W it will be then.