Imalent
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maglites

Default Maglites

Anyone using Maglites anymore? I have a couple in the car for emergency purposes, but not sure of the draw rate on the batteries vs perhaps having a Lenslight or other higher-end flashlight on standby.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Maglites

Maglights have their merits, they are relatively cheap, very durable and easily understood by any stranger to whom you might lend it.
    Flashlights kept in a vehicle are often vulnerable to theft, not good to risk your best and newest lights.

The old maglights have NO parasitic power draw or standby losses, unlike some more modern flashlights with electronic switches.

Alkaline batteries kept in a vehicle should be replaced regularly and long before the expiry date to reduce the risk of leakage. If you have 2 similar flashlights in the vehicle I would keep one with batteries in it, ready for instant use. Keep the other in the back with at least 2 sets of batteries packed separately.

Flashaholic*

the typical incan maglight usually has a draw of 0.8 A ...

PS: dunno what everyone is doing with their "car lights" that they need to be that ugly big and heavy.
    for me a "car light" is 1*CR123, like 4sevens Atom and such
    (because that light usually sees no use at all - over many years)

Yes I have and use several Mags. They are in various states. Some stock for nostalgic reasons, some lightly tweaked, some highly modified, some shortened, some lengthened, some running on AA's, some running on, 26650's, some on D's, some on 14500's, some on C's, some are converted to lasers, some XML's, some triple Nichia 219B's, the list goes on.
    I love maglites.

I guess it sorta depends on what his "Emergency" purposes are. lol

I keep a mag in each of my vehicles. But, they are tweaked with Malkoff drop ins. Solid & bullet proof, look like normal everyday lights. Less likely to draw attention and be stolen. Then I also keep some SolarForce L2 style lights with various drop ins. I usually have a 5 mode drop in in my car lights. That way I have a mode for any situation. Then I have about 6 laptop pulls 18650's. So far in several years, I have never run out of light.

Honorary Aussie

I have a lot of rare versions and colors that are shelf queens. But occasionally I turn on this light just for fun. It's a modded 2D 3x3 emitter with a tail cap switch. It's actually neutral gray but looks darker in the photo. IIRC it puts out about 3300 lumens:

Last edited by magellan; 07-05-2015 at 05:56 AM.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
    Maglights have their merits, they are relatively cheap, very durable and easily understood by any stranger to whom you might lend it.
    Flashlights kept in a vehicle are often vulnerable to theft, not good to risk your best and newest lights.

The old maglights have NO parasitic power draw or standby losses, unlike some more modern flashlights with electronic switches.

Alkaline batteries kept in a vehicle should be replaced regularly and long before the expiry date to reduce the risk of leakage. If you have 2 similar flashlights in the vehicle I would keep one with batteries in it, ready for instant use. Keep the other in the back with at least 2 sets of batteries packed separately.
    That's great advice especially for alkalines. I finally switched almost completely to LSD rechargeables after having a leak for probably the fifth time in several years.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

I have and use only Maglites.

My 4D and 6D Maglites are incandescent because new IMR 26650's technology allows us the ability to use them to power 150~250 Watt G6.35 bulbs with ease. (fire starting)

My Tripple MTG2 with over 5000 real OTF lumen 2D Maglite is also used and I can actually lend it to family and friends since its relatively safe vs. a Hotwire.

I use 2xAA and 3AA MiniMaglites for my EDC as well.
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by magellan View Post
    Beautiful, sir! Love it.

I busted out my incan stock magcharger last night to do some throw comparisons. It's still fairly competitive against a lot of budget lights when at tightest focus, believe it or not.

It beat the "1000 lumen" Utilitech Dx3 I picked up at Lowes, but to be fair the tightest focus on the Utilitech was much wider so lower lux at distance overall.

I was in Halfords today and almost bought AA minimag incan. Mainly for nostalgia, but is there any benefit in owning an Incan maglite. Or buying one new? I like the fact they still a bit shorter in length than the minimag LED models.

It flashed through my mind that I could buy the mod kit and have 30 lumen old body mini-mag. Is that crazy though?
    Last edited by Lord Flashlight; 08-14-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Flashaholic

Not at all crazy. I like the AA minimags myself. With the right size drill bit it's not too difficult to modify it and use a DIY P60 dropin without the reflector. Makes a pretty awesome little set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Flashlight View Post
    I was in Halfords today and almost bought AA minimag incan. Mainly for nostalgia, but is there any benefit in owning an Incan maglite. Or buying one new? I like the fact they still a bit shorter in length than the minimag LED models.
    I founds AA incan minimags on sale for $7. I bought five with the intention of modding them on the lathe. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will one day.

I envision a 14500 single cell shorty XPL HI triple minimag in my future.

Hmm yes, thanks for the advice. Maybe I will consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by candleflana View Post
    Anyone using Maglites anymore? I have a couple in the car for emergency purposes, but not sure of the draw rate on the batteries vs perhaps having a Lenslight or other higher-end flashlight on standby.
    Used a current 272 lumen-rated black 2AA Mini-Mag model at the last client's site I worked at. (Before being unceremoniously dismissed for NOT treating a young drunken female resident like a piece of trash.) At the current site though, I need a light geared for extreme throw. So I use a 2AA Enercell model on the throw setting. Works great.

But would love a 5D or 5C cell Maglite with an LED option geared towards throw.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Niteize and Terralux both make some reasonable LED dropins for Maglites, as well as the always superb Malkoff Devices ones. Relatively cheap way to turn that old incan Mag into a more modern one. When talking about the AA and AAA Maglites, I definitely prefer the older incan style over the newer and clunkier LED versions.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive. You DO need a parachute to skydive twice.

I preffered the slightly shorter length of the mini mag incan over the LED one, so I put in a TerraLux kit and now have the option of the best of both worlds, dull candle looking light for night pix or sunshine bright.
    John 3:16
    "The only friends I have from France are french fries" -PK

The Maglite Solitaire incan is the supreme light for the nocturnal bathroom visit. It's dim, so as not to wake the Missus, silent, ditto and gives a cosy warm glow which encourages further sleep when you get back. These things become more important as you get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Boko View Post
    The Maglite Solitaire incan is the supreme light for the nocturnal bathroom visit. It's dim, so as not to wake the Missus, silent, ditto and gives a cosy warm glow which encourages further sleep when you get back. These things become more important as you get older.
    Get a Photon Freedom. Kicks the Solitare's butt but in much smaller package, and it's LED.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Boko View Post
    These things definitely matter as we age.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 09-25-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Bought me a mini-mag 2 aa incan today.
    $8 at wally world. Came with 2 spare bulbs.

No upgrades planned....well except a wrist lanyard.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 09-25-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by candleflana View Post
    A black 2D with 2x DX 25500 and 6D Xenon bulb and red lens in anti-roll 'thingy' is behind my pillow. The light is ideal to preserve night vision yet see everything indoors.

2 meters away is the main stash, with;

Copper 2D with 2x18650, P7 and 4-mode driver from CPF'er "Der Wichtel"
    Silver 3D with 3xP7 and 9 Eneloops
    Black 3D with WA1185 and 9 Eneloops (battery holders exchangeable with the light above)
    Green 3D with P7 and DD on 3x NiMH Accupower Evolution D cells

However, 95% of the daily use is a Fenix L1T v2 with 1x IMR 14500 since that's EDC on my belt.

The Mag85 is used to kill mosquito's w/o getting their bodyparts squashed.

Flashaholic*

ideal to preserve night vision
    which is wrong ...

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Get a Photon Freedom. Kicks the Solitare's butt but in much smaller package, and it's LED.
    or you can get a maglite solitaire led for 9.99. 35 lumen is more then adequate

^^ the LED solitaire puts out an amazing amount of light.
    I bought a few in alluminum color for easy spot in darkness.

But I have the urge to sharpie over the lens with an orange marker, or perhaps tan...'cause I sure do like that candle colored glow of the incan.

I'm wondering, can the LED in the solitaire be dedomed?

Quote Originally Posted by maglite mike View Post
    or you can get a maglite solitaire led for 9.99. 35 lumen is more then adequate
    Too bright for night time visits to the bathroom.

I use my maglite xl200 on dim mode for bathroom runs, the solitaire led goes on the keychain

I'd like to see a sub-forum devoted to Maglite mods. People mention all sorts of interesting sounding mods but never enough details.

Quote Originally Posted by lumen aeternum View Post
    I'd like to see a sub-forum devoted to Maglite mods. People mention all sorts of interesting sounding mods but never enough details.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...hts-Discussion

Here ya go.

I still love maglites. The colors, the style the durability. Just not the output. All they need is a little help really.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-50-and-XHP-70!

Here is an easy fix.
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    FS: Pocket Power Series Custom Maglites , + DIY parts and more!

^^ an old fav pewter and a new black one.

The old pewter one had a TerraLUX but it was swapped to the black one.
    It now has a Nite Ize.

^^ Nite Ize beam aint bad.
    Now my old pewter one has similar output with much better battery life. If I wanna go warm for a little while, just pull a bulb from the tail cap and stash the LED nearby.

^^ TerraLUX is much brighter.

But to get it throwing...

^^ ya gotta put up with this...

^^ for this.

Incan are $7.99 every day at sprawl mart. They come with a spare bulb in the tail cap and two in a package. 4 bulbs total. And batteries? Not bad imo.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-22-2015 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast