Streamlight TL-2 LED; is it 'TACTICAL' enough???

blastjv

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight TL-2 LED; is it \'TACTICAL\' enough???

I found a great deal on a Streamlight TL-2 LED at a shop near me. I am considering picking this up as my new EDC light.

I currently carry an Inova X5MT and a Photon II on my Keychain. I had been considering a Surefire E2E HA for a 'Tactical' light in order to have a tactical, a utility, and a backup/mild utility.

It occured to me that maybe the TL-2 LED could adequately fulfill the roles of both the X5 and the E2E.

I don't have the E2E yet, but I have owned a 6Z and a E1 in the past, so I have a resonable expectation of output from the E2E.

I know the TL-2 LED won't give me the output the SF's would, or the Runtime that the X5 would, but it seems like it might be a great compromise between the two for when I don't feel like carrying both (my EDC stuff gets in the way sometimes and a little 'whittling' here and there is helpful).

SO, is the TL-2 'TACTICAL' enough? Is it bright enough to be somewhat 'blinding'? What say you???

Thanks for entertaining such a vague question,

-John

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
Re: Streamlight TL-2 LED; is it \'TACTICAL\' enough???

Without talking about the proper output of a light to be blinding or not and without adressing the issue of a light without the proper skills can be used as a defensive "weapon" I would encourage you to answer this question for yourself:

AFAIK the Streamlight "circles" through it's modes. So you can not affect which mode will be next. You could end up with the low beam in a case where you would like (need..) to have high beam.

Would that be sufficent for you?
Do you feel that you could handle this light in an emercency situation without thinking about it? (and you will most likely not be able to think about it, because your brain will be working on other problems)

Decide yourself... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif
Holger

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ho7, He is talking about the TL-2 LED, not the Twin-Task.

Blast, I wondered the same thing. The TL2 LED is for durn sure, not as bright as any of the 2- 123 Xenon lights. It does have a nicely focused spot, but doesn't have the lux. Quickbeams site rates the TL-2 at less than half the brightness of the average 2 cell Xenon.

I define "tactical" as meaning a situation that may involve self defense. With that, I don't think I'd rely on it for that purpose.

For anything short of that, it's a super light. In fact, I carry it as a "back up" to my TL-3 or 2 Xenon when I have reason to think there are intruders about.

There are a lot of discussions in handgun carry about "minimum" calibers for self defense. Most people would not pick a .22, or .32, for that purpose, but they beat the hell out of no gun (light) at all. Same sorta argument.

LightScene

Enlightened

For self defense, I'd rather carry a can of pepper spray than a flashlight.

blastjv

Newly Enlightened

I am not under the impression that when I am attacked by a band of Ninja Assasins I will be able to scare them off with a flashlight.
(that's what nunchuku and smoke grenades are for, right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif???)

I am not asking if the TL-2 LED will be a good idea as my ONLY line of defense. I have some skill in unarmed defense, I carry various other tools for self defense as well. I am simply wondering if the TL-2 LED will fill the role of 'tactical light' or not. Will it adequately perform the tasks a 'tactical' light is meant to perform?

SO:

Holger,

Yes, JohnK is correct. I am inquring about the TL-2 LED, not the Twin-Task series. And yes, at the end of the day of course I need to decide for myself. I just thought it would be useful to solicit the opinions of others before I buy the light (whatever light). As an aside, the Twin Task lights seem very useful as well. Not in a 'tactical' role, but for many other uses.

JohnK,

I take it that your opinion is that the TL-2 LED would be great for the role that my Inova X5MT already fills? If that's the case, it may not make sense to purchase the TL-2 LED, I already really like my X5MT.

LightScene,

Yes, a can of pepper spray would be more effective than a light, and a knife may be more effective than that, and a pistol may be more effective than that, etc... As I explained above this would not be my only self defense tool, merely another addition to a wide array of tools.

Thank you all for your responses,

-John

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Streamlight TL-2 LED; is it \'TACTICAL\' enough?

IMHO, any light that will allow you to clearly identify a potential threat at 10-20 yards and has a momentary blink function can serve as a 'tactical' light. This is why I tend to prefer LED lights with more throw than flood, and am perfectly happy with the 25 lumen bulb in my Surefire E2, or the very focused throw of the SL TL2.

Using a light as a defensive weapon is another story. I think that this can be a decent tactic if you have some other plan/tactics/weapons to fall back on (i.e. either attack or run like h*ll), but it is only a solution for certain ranges and situations. Overall, I would rather have a green Photon and a can of pepper spary or a small folding knife than a E2e/6P/9P.

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened

Oh ,OK, mixed up the names here. I'm not too much into Streamlight and their designations.
My bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif
Holger

jasonbulb

Newly Enlightened

The Glock 23 is also a fine choice as a tactical weapon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

For most of us civilians (not cops, SWAT, etc.), what we should try to do is not look like "food".

A SL Scorpion (or a TL-2 LED) sweeping the parking lot of the mall parking lot late at night is oftentimes enough to let the dregs know that we will NOT be the EASY target they desire.

If you live in the preponderance of states that allow legal concealed carry, as my state does, so much the better.

Don't look like food.............. Look like an alert, aware, individual. The bad guys know the difference.

arioch

Enlightened

MMMM ... food ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you are looking for a LS light similar in design and price to the TL2LED, I might suggest the new Pelican M6LED. It is brighter and whiter than the TL2, and has a better throw. I can make out better details at a distance with the superior output of the M6. The M6 is listed at 41 lumens, vs 30 for the TL2.

I think the M6 would nicely compliment the X5T. While most incandescent xenon 2x123 lights will be brighter, the M6 comes as close as possible for a 1 watt LS OEM light.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Take a look at the TL-3 LED if you get a chance, same size as the TL-2, except for the length, just the length of a 123 cell battery longer. The TL-3 LED blows away all of my 1 watt LS LED lights that I have, and at $85, was quite a bit cheaper than a SF L4.

The TL-3 LED puts out about the same amount of light as my E2e, buts gets longer battery life, and the bulb won't break or blow. The E2e will be a lot easier to carry for EDC use than either the TL-2 or TL-3 though because the bezel is a lot smaller. The TL-3 is too big for me to EDC most of the time, but for other uses, it is one of the first lights I grab.

-Keith

duncanmx

Newly Enlightened

As a police officer, who has used both heres my answer...

THe TL2-LED is BRIGHT. Very VERY bright. If your intention is to use it to temporarily blind an opponent, it definitely gets the job done, as long as you hit him in the eyes. I got blasted with it just last night and saw spots for 30 minutes...

In that case, however, you are looking for brightness alone, not throw. I can assure you that a single LED (like a $1 LED keychain) can have the same effect in a low light situation, its bright, its in your eyes, and it hoops your nightvision. Any light in the right situation can be great, but LED's are so bright that they work very well in this sort of situation.

Now, if you are looking for a light with THROW, where you want to check the area around your car, 30 metres off, you should go with the E2e. It certainly has the effect you want also, with a blinding bright light. On the other hand you could pick up a rechargeable Stinger or 8NX too, and having used one for three years so far I can attest that they are worth every penny.

A few of us were in the office the other day trying out the two lights and decided that for police work, the TL2-led is perfect for clearing small rooms, vehicle stops etc. I found the side spill was most welcome from the light in allowing me to see more of the room, and it easily lit up a 10'by 10' room sufficiently for me to feel safe in entering.

The E2E on the other hand was perfect for clearing long hallways, and lit up the room quite nicely also. Its a bit of overkill for somethings, and it eats the batteries up quickly. This is the light that I own now, and I carry it as a backup to my 8X rechargeable. Its output is similar to the 8X, it fits nicely in the hand (Like a roll of quarters...more like a roll of dimes, actually - if you get my drift) and due to its small size its easy to shoot with.

I bought the E2E 4 months or so ago. If I was to do it over? I'd have to see the TL3-LED first, but I as I am using it for backup, and already have a light with lots of throw, I'd buy the TL2-LEDin a second. Its a great little light with lots of power. Mind you I have yet to see an L1...or L4 for that matter.

My intention, when it arrives, is to purchase a KL7 head for my 8x, and keep the E2E as a backup still. Have to see what the throw is on the KL7, see if I can switch to all LED or not!

I can only hope this is an indication of things to come in flashlights.

blastjv

Newly Enlightened

Duncan,

Thank you for all that insight. You could not have been more helpful. That really puts it all in perspective.

I will be picking up that TL-2 LED today.

Thanks to everyone else who suggested other lights as well, but the shop I found only has the TL-2 LED at a great, can't-pass-it-up price.

I'll let you all know later tonight how I like it...

Thanks again to everyone!!!

-John

blastjv

Newly Enlightened

I'M A *******!!!!!

I seem to have gotten confused when I priced the TL-@ LED at the store near me and it turns out it was priced at $75 which isn't that great a deal.

I'm gonna' have to hold off for a little bit...

Thanks again for all the help,

-John

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

The shipping was 9.80. I also bought a Sonic, but that would not have weighed enough to change the price I suspect.

Jerry

haley1

Enlightened

I'd rather have a .45, oh yea and a 6Z