I'm looking for a headlamp and all the searches i get back are old.

Mailman mike

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a headlamp and would like to see some suggestions as to new entries. I like high output but also like sub lumens. I guess the best light for me would be light enough to wear all night but have enough battery to last a 10 hour night shift. Most if not all work would be under twenty feet (electrical panel work) and if longer range I will have a flashlight to tackle those tasks. Could some of these lights be mounted on a hardhat and easily changed in and out? Thanks.

Last edited:

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite HL10. Has both sublumen and single digit lumen modes as well as a top end around 750. I think the mid level mode on down has long enough run times to last the night.

lumicycle

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite HL10. Has both sublumen and single digit lumen modes as well as a top end around 750. I think the mid level mode on down has long enough run times to last the night.
Do you mean TH10? Would a 18650 light be light enough to wear all night?
I'm looking for a headlamp and would like to see some suggestions as to new entries. I like high output but also like sub lumens. I guess the best light for me would be light enough to wear all night but have enough battery to last a 10 hour night shift. Most if not all work would be under twenty feet (electrical panel work) and if longer range I will have a flashlight to tackle those tasks. Could some of these lights be mounted on a hardhat and easily changed in and out? Thanks.
Do you have any idea of how much output you need? A 1xAA headlamp would be about as lightweight as they get and would easily go all night on a "low" setting of 10-15 lm. I was thoroughly impressed with the ArmyTec Tiara A1 Warm. Has a quite nice tint and very smooth, even flood beam that seems about perfect for your uses. Claimed 25 hours on the 9 lm setting, but can put out a impressive amount of light on higher modes if needed. I really liked the UI, also. I can't comment on comfort during extended use, though. If you don't mind CR123-sized cells the Tiara C1 is probably just about as lightweight with still brighter and longer run times.

Similar options from Zebralight (have more output options to select from) are very well-liked such as H52-series, and Fenix has the HL50, but I don't have personal experience. I like the detachable light style headlamps for versatility, but you may prefer a dedicated headlamp.

What do you mean by "easily changed in and out?" I can't comment on hardhat use but I gotta think it wouldn't be difficult. Maybe you could also look at some of the helmet mounted lights such as used by firefighters and such? Most of the lights I mentioned use a pair of silicone rubber loops to hold the light, but pulling the lamp body out is a bit of a chore. I imagine a split clip that the lamp body would easily clip into and out of as needed. You could attach extra clips to anything you wanted--hardhat, belt loop, tool box, a big magnet--and easily fasten the light anywhere you'd like. I haven't yet found such a retention device, though.

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean TH10? Would a 18650 light be light enough to wear all night?

Thank you. Yes, the TH10. as far as weight the entire unit weighs about 6 oz with a battery which is about what a baseball hat weights.

Eagle

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sublumens, you say? Where's Reppans? :)

Quark pro or tactical with the headlamp kit?

Zebralight H502 series headlamp?

have enough battery to last a 10 hour night shift
These lights have runtimes in days, not hours on the lower modes. :)

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Zebras for panel work and use the 2 I have all the time.
I have one with reflector and one thats a Mule with no reflector and both are the Neutral versions too. Mine run on a single AA by choice and are great for wiring as the neutral LED makes it easy to distinguish crappy color wire where other lights sometimes make it tough.

There are enough variety on outputs to easily go all day long but also an AA is so easy to carry and switch out it is not an issue anyway.
They work great with Eneloops too and the headband is comfortable.

I also just got a Black Diamond Ion and it is a pretty impressive light,is fully dimmable from 4l to 80l and is cheap and lightweight too!
It also comes with AAA Lithium Energizers and I have not been through a set of them yet in a week or so of use.
The interface seems gimmicky until you use it a little and I am carrying one in my pocket everywhere now!