Bark River Knives

Berneck1

Enlightened
So, I have a semi-decent collection of knives. Some SOGs, an Esse 3, Fallkniven F1, some Buck knives, etc. i think the most I spent was on the Fallkniven and Esee. About $115 each. I like all of my knives, but I felt they were all lacking a little. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. They were just fine, but not "exciting."

I never considered paying much more than $100 on a fixed blade knife. I think there are plenty of great knives around that price. However, I like watching the videos from Virtuovice, and he has tons of Bark River knives. Those knives are in most cases considerably more money. I held off for a year or so, but I finally bit the bullet and got a Bark River Bravo 1 with G10 handles for $200.

Holy Crap! There is quite difference from this knife to all the others. The fit and finish, and the way it feels in the hand is amazing! You can barely feel a seam on the handle anywhere. It's so amazingly contoured to be held comfortably. I have a feeling I will be getting more Bark River knives very soon!

Does anyone else love the Bark River knives?

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I have a semi-decent collection of knives. Some SOGs, an Esse 3, Fallkniven F1, some Buck knives, etc. ......

Don't have a Bark River but was curious what you thought of your Bucks (fixed blades) compared to the others you listed. Buck seems to offer the most knife dollar for dollar and make good beaters for the price, do you find this to be the case?

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a big collection of Bark River Knives, Well not compared to my lights which is over 200, so I guess it is a small collection, but I still love them all. Great Quality. ...Robert

Berneck1

Enlightened
Don't have a Bark River but was curious what you thought of your Bucks (fixed blades) compared to the others you listed. Buck seems to offer the most knife dollar for dollar and make good beaters for the price, do you find this to be the case?

I've always had a soft spot for my Buck knives. My Buck 119 Special is probably my all-time favorite knife, but it's more for the nostalgia and my Boy Scout years than anything else. When I was a kid it was Buck or nothing else. Everyone had at least one Buck knife.

Yes, the bang for the "buck" is really good. However, after handling the Bark River, I'm realizing they offer a pretty good bang for the buck as well; albeit a lot more bucks. I don't think anyone can go wrong with owning a Buck knife. I have always liked the Buck 124, and will probably add one to my collection eventually.

That said, there are so many much more durable knives out there for a little more money these days. If I had to pick one knife in my collection for a life and death situation, it would now be the Bark River. Before that, probably my SOG Force. The Force is not a pretty knife, but it's a solid hunk of metal with what feels like an indestructible handle. The Bravo feels equally solid, but much much better in the hand and is so nice to look at. I can't say I feel the same confidence with the Buck knives.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 Bark River knives and really like them. The convex grind is not only sharp and a good slicer, but is easy to sharpen. I use wet/dry sandpaper and then finish with a strop. You can keep the cost down by staying away from the fancy wooden handles. They look great, but they add a lot to the cost.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I have 2 Bark River knives and really like them. The convex grind is not only sharp and a good slicer, but is easy to sharpen. I use wet/dry sandpaper and then finish with a strop. You can keep the cost down by staying away from the fancy wooden handles. They look great, but they add a lot to the cost.

I agree. I may buy one with a wood handle just to collect, but I like to stick with more durable materials, and save money ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't take my own advice - both of my Bark River Knives have beautiful wood handles. Just like McGizmos and other lights, they are users and have the scratches to prove it.

Wood aside, Bark River knives are well made and robust - not cheap, but worth the money.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always had a soft spot for my Buck knives. My Buck 119 Special is probably my all-time favorite knife, but it's more for the nostalgia and my Boy Scout years than anything else. When I was a kid it was Buck or nothing else. Everyone had at least one Buck knife.

I feel the same, when I was a kid my dad had a Buck 105 he kept in the car. I never used it but I liked handling it when ever I could. It was stolen from the car and ever since I wanted one even though I don't really need one.

Congratulations on the new knife, enjoy.

Clown

Newly Enlightened
I've owned many Bark River knives over the years. I've always been a big fan. So many designs and countless options for handle materials. They are a bit pricey but everyone should have at least one.

ppirate

Newly Enlightened
Great knife..many folks say you can find other knives in this class a lot cheaper but to me there is a difference between a Fiat 500 and a Land Rover too.:huh:
Plus Barkies are great to look at while you are using them for any task.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My one and only Bark River Knives - the Bravo III.

IMG_5835_zpshjm7qeod.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fit and finish is excellent IMHO. Even the handle feels comfortable.

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
I'd buy from them not only because of the outstanding quality, but because they are from Escanaba, MI, my home State.