12 Ga Shotgun Weapon Light advice

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a weaponlight to go into a 1" ring mount on a 12 ga shotgun for Range FUN and HD

Am worried about standing up to recoil

Here's my parameters:

1) Relatively Lightweight
2) Black
3) 1" Tail end for mounting Ring
4) Short if possible, single CR123 would work
5) 1.25" or less bezel
6) Able to run on a 12 Ga Shotgun
7) 100-400 Lumens
8) Relatively Inexpensive
9) Rear Momentary-ON tail Clicky
10) Tail cannot be flared out, must be about same size as barrel.
11) Potted Dropin suitable for recoil

any suggestions?

I was considering SF P6XD or Fenix PD35TAC

Open to insight here from you folks.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
any PD35 including the new TAC will do fine. You may want to consider the 3400mah Fenix brand 18650 cell as well. The cell has a low wide button top designed for weapon applications. Its designed so the positive end will not lose contact under recoil.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lean towards SF and Elzetta, but if you are going for fun and want inexpensive, I suggest SolarForce, and a Malkoff Drop in. I have a fun gun set up that way. It has taken thousands of rounds.

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
As an FYI there is an Olight something for sale in the classifieds. Comes with mounting ring and pressure switch. 500 lumen and matches your other requirements. I think it was $50.00.

I am on my phone or I would post a link for you.

Eagle

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
I lean towards SF and Elzetta, but if you are going for fun and want inexpensive, I suggest SolarForce, and a Malkoff Drop in. I have a fun gun set up that way. It has taken thousands of rounds.

It would be range fun AND HD.

I just found the Solarforce and the Malkoff drop ins last night. How would you rate the Solarforce tubes and switches compared to Surefire?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say around $70-$110.

I was looking at the Solarforce lights last night.

Gotcha, I personally have an Elzetta mount with an Eagletac G25C2 MK II in neutral white on it (Mossberg 590). The beam is perfect for this application. The lanyard ring, pocket clip, and cigar ring have to be removed and then it works perfectly. I usually use 1x18650 in everything, but I have 2xCR123 in the light as it doesn't get used very often due to its purpose. There are quite a few 1x18650/2xCR123 lights that would work for you but there are definitely less 1xCR123 lights to chose from. FYI the G25C2 MK II is right at the top of your price range and is now available with the new XP-L HI which gives it an impressive 47,500 candela.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I am loathe to suggest "Nebo," as I have been burned several times in the past with them, they actually offer a fairly good cr123ax1 weapon light. Had it on 3 long guns, still same battery. I haven't had a failure, but this could fall under the psychological principle of "small sample logical fallacy."

The only flaw for the op is that it has a weirdo slide switch (side to side) and not a tail clicky.

Try as I might, I can't actually find anything wrong with it and I am otherwise prejudiced against Nebo. Think I paid $20 for mine on sale.

I still think Nebo sucks, otherwise. Sorry for the harsh language.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
I was reading on Malkoff's site that his dropins are potted to be used as weapon lights. I am leaning heavily that direction with the Solarforce L2P to be used on a Benelli M4. I have an Inforce already on a 590A1

I think I'll modify towards going to a 18650

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MDC SHO. Single mode 50-60 minutes of a full 250 lumens with a long taper. Maybe check out the new Malkoff E1T/ Scout Head, but for a shotgun I think the regular Malkoff MDC SHO should be excellent for a good close indoor / mid range outdoor spotter with nice spill.

$99 bucks on the MDC.... you wont find a more solid option, especially at that price point. If you want to get fancy with it, maybe check out the LensLight Mini, focasable beam, recoil worthy.

What is your intended purpose for the setup? Home defense? Sport?

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff MDC SHO. Single mode 50-60 minutes of a full 250 lumens with a long taper. Maybe check out the new Malkoff E1T/ Scout Head, but for a shotgun I think the regular Malkoff MDC SHO should be excellent for a good close indoor / mid range outdoor spotter with nice spill.

$99 bucks on the MDC.... you wont find a more solid option, especially at that price point. If you want to get fancy with it, maybe check out the LensLight Mini, focasable beam, recoil worthy.

What is your intended purpose for the setup? Home defense? Sport?

That's exactly the Malkoff I was looking at. The gun would be for shotgunning at the range and mainly as a HD gun. So I really only want Momentary and High forward clciky kinda deal.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
While the OP did not ask about a dedicated fore end light, if you serious about keeping and maintaining a light on your shotgun you will eventually end up buying a dedicated fore end light like a Surefire or an Insight Technologies. Clamp on crap is just that. Wears your barrel blueing/ parkerizing down to bare metal over time (read RUST in your future). No light on a shotgun should be a push button. It contradicts everything taught regarding tactical discipline when using a weapon. Your light should only be on WHEN you need it. Not the second you put it up to your shoulder. And learn light discipline. That is unless you like being a target.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
While the OP did not ask about a dedicated fore end light, if you serious about keeping and maintaining a light on your shotgun you will eventually end up buying a dedicated fore end light like a Surefire or an Insight Technologies. Clamp on crap is just that. Wears your barrel blueing/ parkerizing down to bare metal over time (read RUST in your future). No light on a shotgun should be a push button. It contradicts everything taught regarding tactical discipline when using a weapon. Your light should only be on WHEN you need it. Not the second you put it up to your shoulder. And learn light discipline. That is unless you like being a target.

Hi, I don't like Cheese grater forends, so it will be an AVA Tactical clamp. There are not many options for a Benelli M4. I'll just have to live with the scratching, but the Park on Benelli's is very good. I really don't have any other option for the mount because I am averse to cheese graters. I am looking for a push button with momentary that falls at my left thumb and that Ava Tactical does that. The Ava Tactical does not need to be disassemble to take down the shotgun. Lots to like, except the price of course...

http://www.avatactical.com/home

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solar force is obviously not the same quality as Surefire. However, I have tons of both manufactures, I haven't had a single issue. In your case the really only thing that could fail is the switch. These rarely break and are cheap to fix or replace. The main guts of your light will be Malkoff, which ironically is almost bullet proof!

Solar force is obviously not the same PRICE either. Spend the money on the important part. If you get the Malkoff drop in, later down the road get a body/host from Surefire if you are not happy with the Force. OR get any P60 Host you want! Thats the beauty of the Malkoff drop in. You have tons and tons of options.

18650 is fine for playing around at the range or like I do, training around the house. For actual defense use, I only use 2 CR123 Surefire Primary cells in those lights. That way I know I can store them and 5 years later pull them out and the light will work. So each has its own purpose.

When I train with lights, in the house and the range, all my weapon lights have rechargeable cells. I have some SF shotgun forend lights, I put Soshine 3.0 volt rechargeable cells in to practice with. They have held up well at the range, but I don't trust them stored. This is just personal. Know what I mean?

Make sure you practice at home with your home offense gun at night in total darkness!

One good drill is this: Have your weapon stored where you would always keep it. Set your alarm to wake you up at 2 am. Then when your alarm goes off you have to jump out of bed and sweep the house. Or have a predetermined break in point. Like garage, or backyard. You would be surprised how hard it is to wake up in the middle of sleep and grab and go.

My house alarm will tell me the exact zone of a trigger, for example: Garage Window, garage motion, patio door and so on. So I pick one of those spots and practice my sweep.

Good luck.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Solar force is obviously not the same quality as Surefire. However, I have tons of both manufactures, I haven't had a single issue. In your case the really only thing that could fail is the switch. These rarely break and are cheap to fix or replace. The main guts of your light will be Malkoff, which ironically is almost bullet proof!

Thanx for the useful info. I sleep with a Fenix TK15 and Glock 17 G4 w/Crimson Trace grips. I'll equip the shotguns with lights just because, but my go-to defense setup is the Glock/Fenix combo and don't really see it changing. For moving around in the dark I just prefer a high cap reliable Pistol. The shotguns are being procured to deal with civil unrest issues that seem to be more commonplace nowadays. Arsenal SAM7SF's and OPAP's to deal with the really obstinate, arrogant and obtuse Flash Mob Looting Types...

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may get hate over it but I ran a 3xCR123A utg led flashlight on my H&R Pardner Pump 12ga and it stood up to a good 500 rounds of birdshot, buckshot, slugs, and 3 inch magnum loads. It never failed or acted like it wanted to fail and the only reason I got rid of it was because I got tired of the 3xCR123A set up. It was 250 lumens and would easily cover a good 150 yards. It came with a remote pressure pad as well as a momentary push button and you tightened the tail cap for constant on. If all their lights are that well made I would run one of them without question.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you have it all covered. If you are that deep in, I would also suggest a Night Vision or FLIR. This would be very beneficial for someone in the event of extreme civil unrest. :)

I prefer shotguns for home offense due to them being Multilingual. No matter the language, everyone knows what the sound of a shotgun racking means. Plus it reminds me of shooting pool. Rack em & shoot em.