C to D sleeve ideas

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
A piece of PVC pipe.... Go to your local home improvement store with a C cell in your pocket (or are you happy to see me?) I think the size is 1"... either white or gray will work. I also ordered a piece of acrylic tube (1" ID)...Pretty, but a pain to cut.... splinters! Cut the pipe slightly shorter than the total lenght of the C cells you plan to use.

JamesWong

Newly Enlightened
Here is my solution for C to D cell holder, the black plastic holder was a 35mm film container :

111409756hNOIeF_ph.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I always use 1" PVC with 1 turn of Duct Tape around it to stop it sliding (or else cut it PERFECTLY so that the tailcap touches it when tight - a few of my lights are done this way).

I have also done a Ghetto mod using cardboard!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 1/8" should get you to the sweet spot of no sliding.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
they already exist. Brookstone has them and I think radio shack does as well. They come in kits that let you use C, AA, AAA in a d-cell. Or AA in a C. Or AAA in an AA .

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened
the reason it is cheaper is becase they are only giving you one of each. oh and has any body ask any of you guys what you are doing to do with the pipe that you are fitting the c cells in. oh and about how much does the pvc cost. thanks

JamesWong

Newly Enlightened
My previous photo cannot be displayed. Here I try again.

[image]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40094590_17cde/bc/CPF+Reply/__sr_/C+to+D+holder.jpg?phhXVCABB9Fc2KFr[/image]
Here is my solution for C to D cell holder, the black plastic holder was a 35mm film container.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BLU3_SHOCK said:
the reason it is cheaper is becase they are only giving you one of each. oh and has any body ask any of you guys what you are doing to do with the pipe that you are fitting the c cells in. oh and about how much does the pvc cost. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The purpose of fitting C cells into a D Maglite is to be able to run a brighter bulb in the same amount of battery space, sacrificing runtime. You also can do a similar mod with a C Maglite and fit 123's in it. As for cost IIRC I think mine cost under a few dollars, but it's been a while so I could be off.

-Mike

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A big old hank of 1" PVC is not more than 2 bucks at the Depot. Shorter lengths and/or slightly more expensive at any decent hardware store. I have never been questioned about buying pipe or springs, and would probably tell the questioner to "mind your own business!".

Don't forget the duct tape!!! (Most wonderous stuff!)

And yes, the main reason for putting C in a D light is to get 1 more battery at work against that bulb!

EDIT! I forgot something. Generally speaking, anything after 4C in place of 3D is going to have good bulb life. 3C against a 2 cell bulb is sketchy at beast. One out of three or four have survived more than seconds in my experience. 4C in a 3D light is SWEEEET! (Especially when using Writeright or an Acrylite lense!)

JamesWong

Newly Enlightened
My previous photo cannot be displayed. Here I try again.

[image]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40094590_17cde/bc/CPF+Reply/__sr_/C+to+D+holder.jpg?phKYgCABuz7p2KFr[/image]
Here is my solution for C to D cell holder, the black plastic holder was a 35mm film container.

JamesWong

Newly Enlightened
Try again to post the photo :

[image]http://hk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wong_wai_lung/detail?.dir=/CPF+Reply&.dnm=C+to+D+holder.jpg[/image]

If you ar enot able to see the photo, copy this link to your browser and open again.

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened
does any one know what size pipe to use fit cr123s into a d cell or c cell body thanks in advance.

RussH

Enlightened
C123 need the thin wall drinking water pipe for inside diameter, 1/2" PVC is too small. 3/4" PVC will fit inside a D body. You will need to use something (tape, thin foam) to fill in to prevent rattling since the above will be slightly loose.